How Much Do You Run At Practice?

Discussion in 'Cheer Newbies' started by Haley042197, Jun 28, 2011.

1. gi_cheer

gi_cheer I named my pet Sir Fierce-a-lot

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I coach high school cheer. My girls do 1 1/2 miles at the beginning of practice. If they talk excessively, have attitudes, wear jewelry, don't have their hair up at the start of practice, aren't dressed out on time, drop a stunt, slack, complain, or do anything else irritating, they run more.

If they're late, they run an extra lap around the school for every minute they're late. If they miss practice they are expected to run 2 miles and have a parent note varifying that they made up their running and workout.

2. cheergirl624

cheergirl624 I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    For my allstar team we don't run too much, we run when we either get in trouble or we run a couple laps to warm up, but not too much, UNLESS we're at bootcamp, but that's only once a season during the summer:)

3. PSAS

PSAS I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    For AllStar when I was younger we didnt have to run as much as we do now .. we usually will run in the non-comp. season only and then other warm-ups during the comp season .. also we run in the summer cause it is cold in Minnesoooota ! But we will run anywhere from 1 mile to 1.5 miles... pluss warm-ups when we get back .. and the coaches time our run so we are supposed to get faster each time we run .

4. alexamarysouza

alexamarysouza Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    sooouuuza96
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    since the girls on my team don't know how to shutup, we run an awful lot :)

5. westviewwildcat

westviewwildcat Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    5 laps around the track or 1.25 miles

6. FierceandFearless

FierceandFearless Somewhere... some one.... is giving me a slow clap

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    CaelanDean
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    It varies. We usually run a lap for each person that doesn't throw or do something (so if we're going full out and someone doesn't jump, it's lap for each jump that they didn't do, or if they didn't throw their pass, it's a lap for their pass, etc.) if a stunt falls, or doesnt hit, it's a lap, etc.

7. MissBee

MissBee Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Industry Professional
    When I was in high school we didn't run at all, but we had mandatory lifting. In college we had mandatory lifting AND mandatory cardio. I got into running in college and now I run 2 or 3 half marathons a year. It's really the only thing I've found that keeps me close to "cheer shape"

8. Morgankay88

Morgankay88 I shimmy daily

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    My teams do 10 laps around the floor to warmup and then we do 5 minutes of running at the end of practice. They can earn minutes off of running for different things... like hitting all stunts with no bobbles, someone getting a new skill, or paying attention and not talking.

We switched to doing this so conditioning isn't a punishment. It has worked really well for us. And the us coaches get less dirty looks haha

9. ladybulletwannabe

ladybulletwannabe I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    We only run to warm up and we are expected to go to the gym and run on our own time.

10. Sara McNiff

Sara McNiff I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    my team runs 4 laps in our hallways and we do stairs, then we sprint down a hallway and into the gym, nobody stops running until we all get on the mat.

11. CheerSociety

CheerSociety I Fierce Board instead of work/study

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    I am a(n)...:
    Vendor
    My team only runs when the gym's freezing and we need to warm up or if we're talking too much! :p

12. CourtneyStowe

CourtneyStowe I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I have my high school cheerleaders run 2 miles for conditioning in the summer, but once school starts we shorten to only running during the music between doing the routine full out and a little for warm up.

13. LittleRazzi

LittleRazzi They call me Susie

Shimmys Received:
    for my middle school practices we run ALOT . we run through the auditorium upall the staircases in the building through the 6 th grade halls , the 7th grade halls, and the 8th grade halls ): For all starwe run about 5 mins

14. dream2beCOACH

dream2beCOACH They call me Susie

Shimmys Received:
    i coach high school and i make my girls run saying the words to their cheer. They do it over and over until I say stop. If they have a good practice, i usually keep it around 5 minutes. But if they have a rough practice (talking, stunts dropping, people not throwing tumbling) I add a couple minutes. if they have a GREAT practice, I just let them go without running. That's probably happened twice in my 6 year coaching career.

15. cheerbear

cheerbear When all else fails.... I shimmy

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    to warm up we usually run 10 laps around the floor, and then more throughout practice if we don't shut up and aren't focusing