All-Star How Small Is A Typical D2 Gym Summit Bid Winner??

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 23, 2014
Hey, everyone. We are a small D2 gym with only 30 athletes spread over 3 teams. We got our first summit bid last weekend and are super excited!!

We were talking and curious how many kids a typical D2 summit bid winning gym has?? In our area, we are one of the smallest gyms surrounded by a few D1 gyms and quite a few D2 gyms. But the D2 gyms still have on average 70 kids it seems like.

Just curious how many of the smaller D2 gyms are getting summit bids.

Thanks

I think we have about 80 athletes. Our small senior 4 got a paid bid, our small junior 3 & youth 2 got at large bids.

I heard of a small d2 gym with about 30 or so athletes that won d1 summit last year

vizion ohio (vizion athletix) has a d2 at large bid in small sr 2 and they have around 30ish kids

vizion ohio (vizion athletix) has a d2 at large bid in small sr 2 and they have around 30ish kids
How does that work? Does Vizion in MI have less than 100 kids? Or are they completely separate programs?

There's a a program from around Northern/Central California that posted their numbers on Facebook in October " to avoid any confusion". It says they have 121 athletes between 3 gyms. They advertise 10 summit teams,( 9 have bids to D2) 1 non summit team and three prep teams. They also have a special needs teams, which doesn't count towards total. They all compete on small teams, .probably averaging 10-12 and I'm guessing they use crossovers, though there's quite some distance between the gyms, so may not be gym to gym crossovers. Interestingly enough they have a " go to Summit this year' ad, which states openings on 2 teams, and potential openings on another 2.

There's a a program from around Northern/Central California that posted their numbers on Facebook in October " to avoid any confusion". It says they have 121 athletes between 3 gyms. They advertise 10 summit teams,( 9 have bids to D2) 1 non summit team and three prep teams. They also have a special needs teams, which doesn't count towards total. They all compete on small teams, .probably averaging 10-12 and I'm guessing they use crossovers, though there's quite some distance between the gyms, so may not be gym to gym crossovers. Interestingly enough they have a " go to Summit this year' ad, which states openings on 2 teams, and potential openings on another 2.
That's really impressive. I never realized that that many Summit teams could be fielded from a small program. I imagine that their team sizes make clean ups much easier.

I thought regardless of athlete numbers if they have more than 1 location they cannot compete d2? Or did I make that up? Lol

Our gym has about 110 kids, with 8 teams. 5 out of the 6 summit eligible teams have bids.

I thought regardless of athlete numbers if they have more than 1 location they cannot compete d2? Or did I make that up? Lol

Our gym has about 110 kids, with 8 teams. 5 out of the 6 summit eligible teams have bids.
If all locations combined have less than 125 they can still go D2

Ok cool. That is awesome that some of the smaller guys are still in it!! I know we are excited!!

It's funny we always talk about, with a number of kids we have now, we couldn't imagine still being considered small with 120 athletes.

That's really impressive. I never realized that that many Summit teams could be fielded from a small program. I imagine that their team sizes make clean ups much easier.
They are really sharp and clean, and their timing is usually impressive. Their choreography highlights it as well, so it stands out. Two of their bids are paid, and I think they have at least one or two chances at more bids.

If all locations combined have less than 125 they can still go D2
I have a question maybe you can answer? I remember reading at some point that D2 eligibility was set by a certain point in the season. Is this true, or did I imagine it? And how does one determine if athletes are "unenrolled' in the program?

Ive definitely noticed when looking at Summit Reveals that there are quite a few programs receiving multiple bids.

I have a question maybe you can answer? I remember reading at some point that D2 eligibility was set by a certain point in the season. Is this true, or did I imagine it? And how does one determine if athletes are "unenrolled' in the program?
I don't believe there is. The only thing I can think of is that once you have a D2 bid you can't upgrade to a D1 paid bid like you were able to in previous years. The rules for competing in D2 during the regular season are more lax than the rules to compete at the D2 summit.

this is all i could find about D2 rules and eligibility on the varsity all star D2 summit page. I don't know why it says only single location in the begining then giving an exception at the bottom for multiple locations under the 125

"D2 Eligibility

NEW THIS YEAR- Single location D2 programs are the ONLY teams eligible for D2 Summit bids. Gyms must be of Division II size (125 athletes or less) when they receive a D2 Summit bid and MUST remain a D2 size gym when they arrive at the D2 Summit. Once a program goes above 125 athletes they will have to release their D2 bid, if they have one, and will not be eligible for D2 bids the remainder of the season.

Definition of multiple location
  • Share a tax ID
  • Share an owner
  • Have a franchising/liscending agreement with another gym
  • Have similar enough name OR branding it would confuse the consumer as to being part of a bigger gym
  • Share family plan or use multiple locations to meet family plan
  • If there is any possible confusion it is on the owners of the locations to prove to Varsity and the customers they are not a multi-location gym

Exception: The only multi location programs that are eligible to compete at the D2 Summit can not have more than 125 athletes total between all locations and meet the USASF requirement for a D2 program."

Back