How To Do The Wildcats Straddle Stunt?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 12, 2012
Hello everyone! Seeing as its almost tryout time, my bases and I have decided that we must have this stunt! ;) It's the 2013 Straddle Swing (I don't know the technical term for this) with the full-up to stretch. At the moment when we go for the swing-under I become super heavy and my bases drop my feet, ending in me sitting on the mat.

Is there a certain trick or tip to make these work? We've been fiddling with it a bit, recently I tried pulling my legs together as we went under, but that didn't seem to work either. All help and advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)

Did you ever figure this out because i've got a team working on this right now and they're struggling too

Grab higher on the arm, like above the elbow. When we did that it made it easier. As a flyer as soon as you can get to a plank do it so that they can J it up easier.

The goal we found was to make the swing through fast enough that after it flips over your hand is underneath her to push up. When we tried to do it slow her foot would slip right out, so we found we had to make it fast so that we could get a moment of weightlessness (if that makes sense) so that we could get underneath it, then we pulled her arm up as soon as we were under it so that we could J it up.

But we just did this at open gym for funzies so take all I this with a grain of salt! I am by no means a wildcat.

Grab higher on the arm, like above the elbow. When we did that it made it easier. As a flyer as soon as you can get to a plank do it so that they can J it up easier.

The goal we found was to make the swing through fast enough that after it flips over your hand is underneath her to push up. When we tried to do it slow her foot would slip right out, so we found we had to make it fast so that we could get a moment of weightlessness (if that makes sense) so that we could get underneath it, then we pulled her arm up as soon as we were under it so that we could J it up.

But we just did this at open gym for funzies so take all I this with a grain of salt! I am by no means a wildcat.

j up?

Oh jeez lol in my mind I made that more complicated than it was hahaha. Never heard that term. Thanks ☺. When you did this did u start on a mat or just on the floor? Were struggling because the flyer is not short. I'm afraid she's going to scrap the floor/mat...

Oh jeez lol in my mind I made that more complicated than it was hahaha. Never heard that term. Thanks ☺. When you did this did u start on a mat or just on the floor? Were struggling because the flyer is not short. I'm afraid she's going to scrap the floor/mat...
Grab very high up on the arms to help prevent that. We just do these on regular cheer floor.
The shorter she is the better though so that's a plus.

Back