How To Find Out Information On Coach & Safe Sport/usacf

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 1, 2018
Hi, My middle school daughter has been cheering for HS Varsity and is starting her 2nd season. I am completely new to the cheer world other than her experience last season. Their HS team trains at a local cheer club, with the HS head coach and one of the club coaches working with the team to provide more of the technical training/choreography/etc. After having concerns about the coaching style of this coach (frequent profanity, yelling, name calling, typically a fear based style of motivating) and in attempting to speak with someone about my concerns, I found out he is not actually employed by the club gym at all and that he simply volunteers with our HS team. (Which means he had not had a background check, etc). I have since heard from several people that he was fired from that club a couple years ago. I have also heard things like "He used to be really bad, but have been told he mellowed...and heard that he threw a chair at a cheerleader in the past.
I tried to look at the USACF page which lists all the disciplinary reviews, but it is only listed by case numbers. Are there any resources out there to find out if this coach has had previous complaints filed or disciplinary action taken? I find it odd that he works with the team for free when the coaches at the club get paid to work for the team.
Also, head coach seems to justify this volunteer's coach behavior by telling us how fortunate we are to have him work with the team because he is 'so good.' She also says that the girls just need to 'toughen up' and that he doesn't mean anything by the cussing/yelling, and that it is 'just the way it is in cheer.' Having really no experience in cheer, is this common acceptable behavior? I read the Safe Sport guidelines and the code of conduct on the USACF site and it seems pretty clear that it is not endorsed, however I also know that sometimes what is written is not reflective of the actual culture. TIA for any feedback!

Hi, My middle school daughter has been cheering for HS Varsity and is starting her 2nd season. I am completely new to the cheer world other than her experience last season. Their HS team trains at a local cheer club, with the HS head coach and one of the club coaches working with the team to provide more of the technical training/choreography/etc. After having concerns about the coaching style of this coach (frequent profanity, yelling, name calling, typically a fear based style of motivating) and in attempting to speak with someone about my concerns, I found out he is not actually employed by the club gym at all and that he simply volunteers with our HS team. (Which means he had not had a background check, etc). I have since heard from several people that he was fired from that club a couple years ago. I have also heard things like "He used to be really bad, but have been told he mellowed...and heard that he threw a chair at a cheerleader in the past.
I tried to look at the USACF page which lists all the disciplinary reviews, but it is only listed by case numbers. Are there any resources out there to find out if this coach has had previous complaints filed or disciplinary action taken? I find it odd that he works with the team for free when the coaches at the club get paid to work for the team.
Also, head coach seems to justify this volunteer's coach behavior by telling us how fortunate we are to have him work with the team because he is 'so good.' She also says that the girls just need to 'toughen up' and that he doesn't mean anything by the cussing/yelling, and that it is 'just the way it is in cheer.' Having really no experience in cheer, is this common acceptable behavior? I read the Safe Sport guidelines and the code of conduct on the USACF site and it seems pretty clear that it is not endorsed, however I also know that sometimes what is written is not reflective of the actual culture. TIA for any feedback!
Does this help any?
USA Gymnastics | Permanently Ineligible Members

USA Gymnastics | Suspended Members

SafeSport. Enter a name here

I don't think SafeSport covers cheer, although it does appear USACF has adopted their recommended guidelines for coach/athlete communication, etc. USAG has a list of suspended members and now even publishes those under investigations, but it give actual names. The USACF list is just a bunch of numbers, which isn't really helpful at all in protecting kids....

Sorry I don't have any info to contribute at the moment but I am so sick of abusive behavior being justified by coaches because of someone's reputation. Hope you're able to find a solution! Maybe other people have wanted to come forward about this but have been scared to. You could potentially do a lot of good here.

Contact the School District. Contact the state high school athletic association too.
Ask all the questions you want. That is weird.

We bring in a volunteer helper, but they are certified through several orgs and the school before being on campus. Our district has a rule too that volunteer coaches cannot be alone with students just as a precaution.

Back