How To Get Basic Skills?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 20, 2016
Hi there,

I'm a fairly new cheerleader (2 years) and my coach doesn't decide to have us learn any tumbling or take any classes. (We're in the non-tumbling division) I was wondering if there was any way to learn how to have basic tumbling by my tryout date? I have the basics (handstand, bridge, etc.) but I can't find a way to make myself progress towards skills like a cartwheel and front walkover. Is there any tips for stretching, mental blocks, or ways to learn these skills at all? I've seen all of the tutorials on Youtube and I just can't find a way to progress and I feel these basic skills are essential for the new high-school team I am trying out on for next year.

Thank you!

P.S. - There aren't any gyms around where I am to learn tumbling, and my parents do not want to drive to the nearest gym, so lessons can't be a solution.

I would not recommend trying to teach yourself at home via Youtube. Potential for injury is too high.

Is there a gymnastics facility near you?
Unfortunately, no. There are some a few miles out, but my parents do not want to drive out that far. I can try asking them again, but if they say no (most likely) I need to find a way to learn.

Maybe try getting some friends to go along with you to the gym?
If you do privates, then the cost is significantly lower (at least at my old gym it was) because you have more people to split the cost. And also, since you're all going together, maybe you can catch a ride with one of your friends.

i would talk to your coach. but for basic skills like a backbend kickover, you can learn that at your house. To be perfectly honest, i kicked over from my coach and eventually learned on my own

Back