All-Star How To Help Your Cheerleader Through Performance Anxiety

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Lablover

Cheer Parent
Mar 11, 2014
my 12 year old has a lot of nervousness and anxiety about tumbling in her routine. Our gyms’s showcase is approaching and last night she couldn’t sleep and got an upset stomach worrying. She’s on a level 5R team and this will be her first time throwing a full in competition. However, her full is beautiful and she has no issue landing them. But she lets all this doubt creep into her head...any ideas to enoucurage her and kept the negative thoughts away. I don’t want the nerves to create a self fulfilling prophecy.

Encourage her to use positive visualization. Play some soft meditation music, use jasmine essential oil in a diffuser to naturally alleviate anxiety, and ask her to mentally step through the tumbling. Also, you may want to record her tumbling pass so that she may see that beautiful landing :)

Encourage her to use positive visualization. Play some soft meditation music, use jasmine essential oil in a diffuser to naturally alleviate anxiety, and ask her to mentally step through the tumbling. Also, you may want to record her tumbling pass so that she may see that beautiful landing :)
I love this. Thank you!!!

You guys should read together and discuss the fantastic book that is 'The Inner Game of Tennis'

It's like the bible on sports psychology.

She actually sees someone for some for some other non-cheer related anxiety, next time we see her I can ask her about the tumbling and visualization.
If she's already an anxious kid, this is probably just another component of that anxiety. Glad you already have someone on board to help!

If she's already an anxious kid, this is probably just another component of that anxiety. Glad you already have someone on board to help!
She’s a strange nut to crack . She’s definitely has some anxiety but it’s only (up to this point) manifested itself over one issue (no way related to cheer). So while not surprising, it was sorta of unexpected.

Back