All-Star How Two New Worlds Divisions Are Going To Define A New Era In Cheerleading

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

While I still really dislike the restrictions for Worlds, I'm excited to see how these divisions play out this year!
I'm guessing this means no more Tomahawks for Tribe this season though, I really liked them the past few seasons.

While I still really dislike the restrictions for Worlds, I'm excited to see how these divisions play out this year!
I'm guessing this means no more Tomahawks for Tribe this season though, I really liked them the past few seasons.

I've been wondering about that, because AFAIK they're still putting Tomahawks together, maybe just not for worlds? I'm excited to see what Chiefs do this season though!

This is exactly how I feel about these new divisions. I know that it's not necessarily a popular decision, but I think the ability of small/medium gyms to have this "waterfall" effect will make the sport stronger overall.

There's SO much pressure on small gyms to make a worlds team. Then when they do, (and I'm generalizing here) they're weaker, and we hear that they shouldn't' even be at worlds. By allowing an XS division, you're fostering the overall growth and development of the sport *on the whole* by letting small/medium gyms, that could be that size due to market size, compete without forcing kids up a level and being "that team" on the worlds floor that we all see struggle.

I don't like the idea of, too bad, you don't get to go to worlds then if you're not good enough. I do *not* enjoy participation medals, and I don't like everyone being a champion. But I don't think that a gym in the middle of nowhere with 12 super talented athletes should suffer, just because they're not in a populated area.

I wish they expanded this to international teams. In the US, (at least in my experience) there are a select few who are in college/graduated and want to still participate in allstar. And while it's hard to find talent to field normal age divisions, finding appropriately skilled athletes willing to participate on international teams is even harder. An extra small division for that would have been great, in my opinion.

I'm on an international team now, as I just moved to a new area and was hoping to make some friends and still keep my cheer skills up after college. We've got a small, core group of like-minded people, but we are at 14 people now.
My hope is that the extra small division opportunity will be extended to international teams eventually, if the senior-aged division goes well this year.

Thank you so much for sharing that! We are at a very large gym, and I never really thought about the effect that creating the extra-small divisions would have on the sport. I actually think that if it plays out like this, it is a great thing! Not only is it good to give more athletes an opportunity to really compete on a more level playing field, but to me anything that strengthens other divisions at the same time is great. Cp is in a restricted division and we welcome the challenge! :)

These are my exact thoughts on the new divisions.
I think the rule stating that 'if a gym competes in the xs division, they are not eligible for any other divisions' is what will cause this rule change to have the effects mentioned in the article. I see nothing but good to come of this for smaller gyms - and talented athletes who might live in more rural areas.

"Over the last two years, only two small senior teams have made it from prelims to finals and zero small coed teams have made it all the way through three days."

Learn something new everyday. I wish there was a list somewhere that showed teams that have made it through this.. id be interested to peek at it.
Someone correct me, but I believe 2012 was the first year there were prelims in small senior/small coed. Here's the teams that have made it through to finals since then

2012:
Small Senior: Champion Cheer Heat, Heat Athletics Firestorm, Orlando Allstars Angels

2013:
Small Senior: Champion Cheer Heat
Small Coed: Prodigy Midnight
Medium Coed: Ultimate Athletics Prodigy

2014:
Small Senior: Green Bay Elite Lime
Small Coed: Louisiana Cheer Force Gold, All Star Revolution Freedom, Florida Top Dog Rain
Medium Senior: Cheer Athletics Swooshcats

2015:
Medium Senior: Maryland Twisters Weathergirls

2016:
Small Senior: Cheer Savannah Lady Lace

2017:
Small Senior: Twist & Shout Lady Eve
Medium Coed: Core Athletix Black Diamonds

I'm hoping these XS divisions encourage international teams to compete in the senior division at worlds. I know that the cheer world is really different outside of the US for a multitude of reasons, but I feel like this is a good first step for getting international teams into the senior divisions.

A girl can dream!

Someone correct me, but I believe 2012 was the first year there were prelims in small senior/small coed. Here's the teams that have made it through to finals since then

2012:
Small Senior: Champion Cheer Heat, Heat Athletics Firestorm

2013:

2014:
Small Coed: Louisiana Cheer Force Gold, All Star Revolution Freedom, Florida Top Dog Rain

2015:

2016:

2017:

Didn't Orlando Angels also make it through three days in 2012?

2012:
Small Senior: Champion Cheer Heat, Heat Athletics Firestorm

2013:

2014:

2015:

2016:

2017:

THIS IS AWESOME!! Thank you for looking this up, this is VERY interesting and actaully worse than I expected it was. I did some research for the article, and wish I would have gone back 1 more year. So crazy that only 4 teams total have made it from pre-lims to finals in the last 3 years. Really makes me question whether its even worth it going on an at-large bid. It is just an unbelievably rare occurrence to make it through.

THIS IS AWESOME!! Thank you for looking this up, this is VERY interesting and actaully worse than I expected it was. I did some research for the article, and wish I would have gone back 1 more year. So crazy that only 4 teams total have made it from pre-lims to finals in the last 3 years. Really makes me question whether its even worth it going on an at-large bid. It is just an unbelievably rare occurrence to make it through.
I think most at large bid winners and even some FP know that finals will never be.....the big gyms r just too good!

Back