High School Hs Comp Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nikki Moore

Cheer Parent
Mar 23, 2016
CP cheers All-Star and had no plans to do high school cheer. However her All-Star coach is going to be coaching the JV Comp Squad at her high school and had asked CP if she wanted to be on it.
CP didn't think she'd be able to even make the comp team because of tumbling but it seems like JV has mostly non-tumblers or girls with limited skills. Varsity has the girls who can do everything else.

I never went to a parent meeting since we just got asked this week about it and I have no clue what to expect from HS Comp. If she's on a team with mostly non-tumblers will they compete against other teams that don't tumble? We're in GA - just curious if anyone has any advice or ideas on what I'm getting myself into...

Thanks!

I can tell you what happens here. Given that the all star coach is coaching I would think they would compete where they are strongest.
For our state, and I think Ga is very similar, there are different levels for full routine (intermediate is the most common level for JV comp squads), and different skills are allowed at each level. For us intermediate is pretty close to level 3 all star. There is a non-tumbling division where no tumbling is allowed (most likely where a squad with a lot of non tumblers would be), and a non mount division that allows no stunts, but allows tumbling (where ground bound teams typically compete).

I can tell you what we've experienced. We are in GA too. My CP is in middle school and on their comp team. We have one at the high school too, just a Varsity team though. Last year our middle school team competed with teams that had higher skills than we were able to throw. Same with our high school. I'm talking teams that the majority had fulls. We didn't stand a chance. Our high school team was co-ed and they competed against schools in the area with the same things. Unfortunately, they don't split it based on skills thrown. This year our MS team has some skills to add and our HS team is all girl. That will make a difference.

Back