OT I Didn't Know Where Else To Put This. What Are Honors Classes Like In English For 8th Grade?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Aug 13, 2015
Hey. Haven't posted here in a while, I've been busy. What are honors classes for English like in 8th grade? I'm switching to that class next Tuesday and honestly I have no idea what to expect. Does anybody have experience with this? I need advice.

Well, I will think 8th grade Honors English curriculums are different depending on the set focus of the instructor and the individual's school district. I will advise you to ask your guidance counselor or even the instructor of this course, before being transfer into this class

Well, I will think 8th grade Honors English curriculums are different depending on the set focus of the instructor and the individual's school district. I will advise you to ask your guidance counselor or even the instructor of this course, before being transfer into this class
Okay. I will have to ask her.

Expect to read material that will challenge you more than you are used to. Classes will likely be very discussion-based. If you write essays, they will be less like book reports and more like an analysis of the book's theme, motifs, etc. It will likely be challenging, but keep up with your reading and participate in class. It will prepare you for high school lit classes! My 8th grade English class is to this day one of my favorites I have ever taken and I'm almost 20.

You're lucky they let you switch into honors after school started - here you can only switch out of honors. My kids have always been in honors, so I don't know for sure what non-honors is like, but I've heard it's just a faster pace and more in depth discussion/analysis/writing, etc.

You're lucky they let you switch into honors after school started - here you can only switch out of honors. My kids have always been in honors, so I don't know for sure what non-honors is like, but I've heard it's just a faster pace and more in depth discussion/analysis/writing, etc.
I didn't ask. My English teacher asked me if I wanted to go in Honors. Here, it doesn't matter what time of the year it is, as long as it isn't the tail end or near the tail end of the year.

I didn't ask. My English teacher asked me if I wanted to go in Honors. Here, it doesn't matter what time of the year it is, as long as it isn't the tail end or near the tail end of the year.

My husband switched into my honor's English class in 9th grade at Christmas break. Bet the guidance counselor didn't realize we would be thanking her for our marriage four years later.

Anyhow, enough of that, this will largely depend on your state and their curriculum. To be honest, I was in honors or above classes my entire life and at times they were harder than my college classes, at others, they were sleep worthy. The state, the curriculum, but most importantly, the teacher will matter most. In 8th grade I remember reading The Giver, doing a month long shadowing project of someone famous that ended up with a huge speech as if you were that person, and sleeping because I always pre-read the books before we had to read them so I could wake up, answer questions, and go back to sleep---albeit still answer accurately so my teacher never cared.

So yeah, expect more or less what your normal English class was but more.

Our school system does not have Honors classes for 8th graders (they start in high school). My CP was in some higher level math and English classes though, and her teachers did not allow cell phones to be used in class. In fact, both of my CPs who went to 2 different schools were not allowed to be on their cell phones during class time, but even if they were allowed, there would be no way they could keep up with their classes if they were on message boards or twitter, IG etc during class. :confused:

My kids were in advanced classes in 8th grade - they didn't have Honors classes in middle school. (As with @quitthedrama - Honors classes here start in high school.) Extra reading and writing is what you should expect, for sure.

My kids were in advanced classes in 8th grade - they didn't have Honors classes in middle school. (As with @quitthedrama - Honors classes here start in high school.) Extra reading and writing is what you should expect, for sure.
Okay.
Honors classes in Pennsylvania (at least my district), start Honors in 8th grade.

Back