OT I Didn't Know Where Else To Put This. What Are Honors Classes Like In English For 8th Grade?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I just have to bring up my 2 cents on technology, especially in school.

I don't like it at all. Why should young kids use iPads? Children won't be able to spell, write, find information if electricity would be shut off. Won't even be able to find information by regular means.

I remember in high school (swedish equivalent) we sometimes had in class english essays. My teacher was so surprised I didn't have a single spelling error. When writing with spellcheck you don't learn correct spelling anymore.

Internet is great for contact and sharing but I don't like this tech craze at all. Nothing beats a real book..

That is WAY more intense than how my school was. It was take a test, do well, oh hey welcome.

That is how it was back in me and DH's day too. Non-CP is academically gifted, but the decision to put her in gifted classes in school has yet to be decided. She'll be 'officially' tested soon and it's based off IQ and an interview. CP's teacher has brought up testing her for gifted as well and I just kinda side eyed. Maybe she sees something I don't or it's hard when she has an extremely intelligent sister, but I don't see her passing into it.

I think technology is so heavily scrutinized because all of it is relatively new. Society tends to have this attitude toward new and life changing developments. In the next 10 years the fall of humanity will be something else.

:shimmy: x a bajillion.

This convo reminds me of comics/TV shows/movies that take place when Rock & Roll music started becoming popular. You know, when all the parents were up in arms about it and how bad it was for their children to be exposed to it. :rolleyes:

That is how it was back in me and DH's day too. Non-CP is academically gifted, but the decision to put her in gifted classes in school has yet to be decided. She'll be 'officially' tested soon and it's based off IQ and an interview. CP's teacher has brought up testing her for gifted as well and I just kinda side eyed. Maybe she sees something I don't or it's hard when she has an extremely intelligent sister, but I don't see her passing into it.

This is how I always knew of it being done. When I spent a semester as an elementary education major, we talked about gifted/talented programs and what the IQ requirements were in our area. I think the speaker said it was a 126 or a 128 (pretty sure it was an even number)? It was also three years ago so that information is probably outdated. I also remember her saying that a child could only be tested two or three times, which I thought was interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is how I always knew of it being done. When I spent a semester as an elementary education major, we talked about gifted/talented programs and what the IQ requirements were in our area. I think the speaker said it was a 126 or a 128 (pretty sure it was an even number)? It was also three years ago so that information is probably outdated. I also remember her saying that a child could only be tested two or three times, which I thought was interesting.

Research suggests that once a child is about the age of 10 (when MENSA, for example, will actually use their own IQ test) the likelihood of a major change in IQ is almost non-existent which is why constant testing is kinda insane. Growing up, I think our cut-off was 120 but currently sits at 130; however, it varies largely by area and school district. Non-CP passes the IQ part and likely will pass the second part, just not 100% sure if I think gifted is the right place for her yet.

Another requirement that is pretty common is to only test every 2-3 years from the first test. It's pretty common in our area for parents to shop around for testing---ie. Psychologist one said Susie isn't gifted, so they went to Psychologist 2 who wanted the money and said she was. The school doesn't care what the psychologists say or don't say, but it makes Susie's mom feel important. I'm naturally leery of anyone who has their child's IQ tested, on purpose, at a young age unless it comes because of other stuff. For example, we feared autism for non-CP and part of the all-day testing process was giving her the WISC. Without that, I would have never dreamed of giving my 3 year old an IQ test no matter how smart I already knew she was.

Research suggests that once a child is about the age of 10 (when MENSA, for example, will actually use their own IQ test) the likelihood of a major change in IQ is almost non-existent which is why constant testing is kinda insane. Growing up, I think our cut-off was 120 but currently sits at 130; however, it varies largely by area and school district. Non-CP passes the IQ part and likely will pass the second part, just not 100% sure if I think gifted is the right place for her yet.

Another requirement that is pretty common is to only test every 2-3 years from the first test. It's pretty common in our area for parents to shop around for testing---ie. Psychologist one said Susie isn't gifted, so they went to Psychologist 2 who wanted the money and said she was. The school doesn't care what the psychologists say or don't say, but it makes Susie's mom feel important. I'm naturally leery of anyone who has their child's IQ tested, on purpose, at a young age unless it comes because of other stuff. For example, we feared autism for non-CP and part of the all-day testing process was giving her the WISC. Without that, I would have never dreamed of giving my 3 year old an IQ test no matter how smart I already knew she was.

That makes a lot of sense! I feel like I had heard of some of that before. I can't imagine (other than in circumstances like yours) that someone would actually have their young child take an IQ test. That's so weird to me.

it's worth a shot! you never know.

it's worth a shot! you never know.

That is basically what I said to DH too. On one hand, I can see it at times---but, on other's, I'm like no way. Time will tell, but I've definitely not told her about it---that way when they take her, she won't know what's up and get excited one way or another. DH and I were both considered gifted growing up, but I'll be the first to tell you he's smarter. I may be academically brighter in grades, but at 11 he was tested at post-grad level math and science; two of my absolutely worst subjects. His mom was a huge deterrence for getting him the proper help (the bored child who was labeled bad, over the bright student who would be challenged more because he was clearly bored) and into programs where he could have applied himself a lot better so I definitely don't want to say 'Don't test her' and then be in the way in case she needs those extras.

Looking back, I don't think I was gifted---smart and bright and studious, sure; but gifted? No way. Especially after having non-CP.

ugh that's so sad. we got a full color set of encyclopedias as a family gift one year for christmas. I know, we're very exciting. (seriously, I was excited) Then we transitioned to the Encarta CD-ROM. And then I would play Where in the World is Carmen San Diego and open Encarta95 to look up the places. nerd child.
I still have that computer game. I really miss the educational computer games era.

I wish they would teach kids the basics of building a website, e-commerce, etc. They could put those skills to use right away and try to make some money.

Last edited:
Back