OT I Know That This Is A Cheer Board But...

• Thread starter Deleted member 41136
  • Start date

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
D

Deleted member 41136

I have a question for people who took dance classes at their schools or parents of them. I am taking dance at my high school this year and i have no clue of what clothes to bring to change into. I have not heard a word about any dress code for these classes. Also any ideas of what shoes i might need? We are focusing on ballet, jazz, contemporary, and lyrical.

I'm sure that they will tell you on the first day what to bring! I know at my university my roommate freshman year tool dance and the had to wear a Leo, tights and I think ballet shoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to agree with @BuegeSmalls, my daughter have been dancing and just made an elite dance squad and in all the dance forms you mentioned: ballet, contemporary and lyrical, my daughter wears leotards, tights and ballet slippers and the exact outfit for jazz, except for the jazz shoes. (Leather lace up with hard soles)
But what I do know about most dance school, you will probably be instructed about what to wear...

Last edited:
I took dance at my high school. We didn't focus on anything particular. We had small units though. We just wore tee-shirts, leggings, and no shoes.

Check your school's website for the dance class page and it may have a syllabus to tell you :)

I have a question for people who took dance classes at their schools or parents of them. I am taking dance at my high school this year and i have no clue of what clothes to bring to change into. I have not heard a word about any dress code for these classes. Also any ideas of what shoes i might need? We are focusing on ballet, jazz, contemporary, and lyrical.
I would bring a t-shirt and shorts and they will tell you what you need in class.

A leo and tights is pretty standard; or cheer shorts and a sports bra (they sell dance sets)...but it will depend on your teacher. I would suggest bringing a tank and shorts for your first day and then asking what they expect of you for the rest of the year.

For jazz and contemporary, all you really need is to be in clothes that you can move in, preferably ones that aren't too baggy or have an absurd amount of straps/laces. Some girls will just dance in their sports bra, and that's completely fine, but again, it depends on whether your school has already set dress code guidelines.

Footwear for jazz can vary depending on what type of jazz (Broadway jazz, street jazz, modern jazz etc.) you'll be doing. Jazz shoes are ideal but often jazz dancers go barefoot, wear socks (sometimes rolled down to half the foot if the surface you're dancing on is too slippery) or foot undies (image below):
256436884.jpg

Footwear for contemporary dance is pretty much the same as jazz but no jazz shoes, usually just barefoot or ,at most, socks. Oh and, prepare to do a lot of floor work - this is where wearing something that doesn't have accessories sticking out is important. Accessories like buttons or zippers can hurt when you roll over and place your weight on them while doing floor work, so avoid clothing like those, especially bottoms that have an uneven waistband (they really dig into areas such as your lower spine, illiac crest (the two bones you feel on the side of your hips) and abdomen when you roll onto them).

As for ballet, there usually is a strict dress code - hair tied up in a neat bun, leotard, tights and ballet flats (probably won't be doing pointe work so your toe and toe nails will be spared)... but seeing as it's a class that comprises of different dance styles, I highly doubt you'll need to follow the traditional dress code. Especially if students are only taking this for one semester to fulfill a requirement, I'm sure your instructor will be more lenient towards attire - i.e. he/she shouldn't expect students to buy jazz shoes, leotard, tights etc. if students are only going to use it for that one semester. To make your instructor's job easier in ballet, wear clothes that will allow him/her to see your body line. Ballet is all about the body positions; knowing which muscles to engage and how to engage them. The easier it for your instructor to see, the easier it is for him/her to give you feedback.

Most importantly, bring lots of energy and have fun!!

I second the above comment: definitely wear clothes that show your body line. Outside of warm-ups (when a tracksuit or t-shirt over your clothes is usually allowed), always wear leotards/crop-tops/fitted singlets/leggings. Dance teachers usually HATE when students wear loose outfits, as it prevents them from properly seeing what your body is actually doing.

Unless you're doing tap or hip-hop, when it usually doesn't matter what you wear.

Oh and perhaps don't buy shoes until the first class, when the teacher can tell you what they require. Dance shoes can be expensive, and you don't want to get the wrong color or style.

I just really thoroughly read over your message and when I first responded, I thought you mentioned this was for a college, and of course, over thinking this, I placed you as a dance major... Sorry!
For a HS dance class, similar to a gym class, wait for instructions (1st day of class, you probably not start any type of instruction) otherwise, wear yoga pants or Nike pros with a tank top and socks...Do not invest in dance shoes, unless told by teacher. Have Fun!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back