I Need A Complete List Of Tumbling Skills In Order Of Difficulty, According To Gymnastics

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Official OWECheer

Most likely to post anywhere
Jan 16, 2014
I'm used to seeing forward/backward roll, handstand, etc. listed, but where do skills like forward pike rolls come in (before, or after the handstand)? Should kip ups be taught before or after the handstand? Are skills like the forward straddle roll necessary to learn? It is my DREAM to start something like an athlete training program, a judges' training program and an EP company to push for better technique and conditioning throughout cheerleading (in all-star and scholastic cheer), and I am seriously considering getting USAG certified (in addition to AACCA) to prepare myself to coach cheer. Is there some booklet I can obtain for study.

@tumbleyoda @DaniV @Matt Faherty I feel like you guys would be crucial resources for me on this?

The Skills and Drills Page - Gymnastics Technique and Training (where I am am looking right now)

Things may of changed but when I was teaching gymnastics the forward straddle and pike rolls came before the handstand. These skills are also heavily emphasized in the lower levels of power tumbling. In gymnastics the emphasis on correct body positions, spatial awareness, and technique are critical in the foundation work, which IMO is where most of the lack in tumbling with cheer is. The very nature of push to move up in cheer goes against patience in proper progressions in tumbling. There is a way to do it, I believe and your idea is one way that it can work.

I would definitely get USAG certified. Any additional certifications that you can get are great, and they broaden your appeal to your client base. You can and should also shadow spot at a gymnastics school to observe and write your own notes and then follow up with the owner/coach about their techniques, progressions and drills.

The FIG produces a Code of Points that has every current skill listed and their point values. Serves as an invaluable aid in understanding progressions as well. A couple of current resources I would also consider:

The Hybrid Perspective : Linking Gymnastics & Physical Therapy

http://www.useca.us/

Gymneo TV : Online training videos for artistic gymnastics coaches

Things may of changed but when I was teaching gymnastics the forward straddle and pike rolls came before the handstand. These skills are also heavily emphasized in the lower levels of power tumbling. In gymnastics the emphasis on correct body positions, spatial awareness, and technique are critical in the foundation work, which IMO is where most of the lack in tumbling with cheer is. The very nature of push to move up in cheer goes against patience in proper progressions in tumbling. There is a way to do it, I believe and your idea is one way that it can work.

I would definitely get USAG certified. Any additional certifications that you can get are great, and they broaden your appeal to your client base. You can and should also shadow spot at a gymnastics school to observe and write your own notes and then follow up with the owner/coach about their techniques, progressions and drills.

The FIG produces a Code of Points that has every current skill listed and their point values. Serves as an invaluable aid in understanding progressions as well. A couple of current resources I would also consider:

The Hybrid Perspective : Linking Gymnastics & Physical Therapy

http://www.useca.us/

Gymneo TV : Online training videos for artistic gymnastics coaches
Thank you so much!

I agree with everything @tumbleyoda said. And I think your ideas are fantastic. I would love to see things heading in that direction as well - slow down the focus on moving up levels and push for focus on technique.

I've found that looking at preschool curriculum is a fantastic way to see the progression of basic tumbling. They have to add in so many little extra skills to build the strength and coordination that older kids might already have. With cheerleading, we tend to go straight from forward rolls to handstands. Where are the straddle rolls, pike rolls, lunges, T-levers, etc? So many progressions are skipped because we are crunched for time trying to get the kids to the backwalk-over or back handsprings. You don't have to master a pike roll before introducting levers, lunges, and kick up to handstand but I would definitely include them in your curriculum for basic tumblers. I believe the F.I.G. code of points should also have different drills listed for common problems? When I first graduated out of high school and wanted to be a judge, I bought a book (can't remember if that was the code of points or something different) for the compulsory routine breakdown and it was very very helpful in seeing exactly what skills are supposed to look like.

Personally, I've never been been taught a kip-up in gymnastics. We used to do them for fun because we thought it was a cool "break-dancing" move. I'm not sure of where the progression of that would fall in to.

Technique magazine is a great resource! You used to have to be a subscriber to get access to it but now they have all their issues online! It's very gymnastics based but I love the injury prevention and tumbling drills they give in some articles. I typically only find one, maybe two articles from each issue useful for transferring over to cheerleading (since I don't own a gym or run a rec program).
Library | Legacy USA Gymnastics

Debbie Love is a another fantastic resource from the cheer and gymnastics world. We had her come out for a tumbling clinic to teach our kids and I learned more than they did. She took them through a basic tumbling warm-up that covered everything. I will try to see if I can find my notes from that and PM them to you if you'd like.

I agree with everything @tumbleyoda said. And I think your ideas are fantastic. I would love to see things heading in that direction as well - slow down the focus on moving up levels and push for focus on technique.

I've found that looking at preschool curriculum is a fantastic way to see the progression of basic tumbling. They have to add in so many little extra skills to build the strength and coordination that older kids might already have. With cheerleading, we tend to go straight from forward rolls to handstands. Where are the straddle rolls, pike rolls, lunges, T-levers, etc? So many progressions are skipped because we are crunched for time trying to get the kids to the backwalk-over or back handsprings. You don't have to master a pike roll before introducting levers, lunges, and kick up to handstand but I would definitely include them in your curriculum for basic tumblers. I believe the F.I.G. code of points should also have different drills listed for common problems? When I first graduated out of high school and wanted to be a judge, I bought a book (can't remember if that was the code of points or something different) for the compulsory routine breakdown and it was very very helpful in seeing exactly what skills are supposed to look like.

Personally, I've never been been taught a kip-up in gymnastics. We used to do them for fun because we thought it was a cool "break-dancing" move. I'm not sure of where the progression of that would fall in to.

Technique magazine is a great resource! You used to have to be a subscriber to get access to it but now they have all their issues online! It's very gymnastics based but I love the injury prevention and tumbling drills they give in some articles. I typically only find one, maybe two articles from each issue useful for transferring over to cheerleading (since I don't own a gym or run a rec program).
Library | Legacy USA Gymnastics

Debbie Love is a another fantastic resource from the cheer and gymnastics world. We had her come out for a tumbling clinic to teach our kids and I learned more than they did. She took them through a basic tumbling warm-up that covered everything. I will try to see if I can find my notes from that and PM them to you if you'd like.
I would love that, thank you Dani!

I am thinking that maybe it would be a better idea to get a certification from the USTA.
What do you guys think? Home

I am thinking that maybe it would be a better idea to get a certification from the USTA.
What do you guys think? Home

Both USTA and USAG run Power Tumbling programs. I like USTA a bit better especially for a starting out program. We currently are USTA certified with plans to eventually go to USAG. I have been USGF and USAG certified in the past, as well as USASF. No doubt all are more intensive than USASF is currently.

just noticed this post.... Love the information that was given here.... but now I pose the following question:

Do you think someone who has never tumbled at least not power tumbled, coach tumbling if they get the certifications and does training etc... or do you think its better or more beneficial when some has personal experience with physically being a tumbler and then got the extra training??

I'm gonna post this too in the all star and coaches forum to get different opinions!!

Back