I Need Help With My Backhandspring

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 22, 2013
My cheer gym is hours away from me and I am trying to get my backhandspring. I take tumbling at a gymnastics gym but I only get like 2 minuetes of spotting. I have it by myself on a slanted mat and the instructor at the gym wont spot me on the ground anyways. I am going to get private lessons there so I can get spottted on the ground. So anyways I need advice on backhandsorings so I can get it in 2 weeks which is when we have our next competition.

Keep scooting down the slanted mat! Instead of starting at the very top, take a step backwards. Once it's perfect there, take another step back. Keep doing that until you're at the very end of the mat and then you'll be ready to do it on the floor, maybe with a sting mat. It's good to not make yourself reliant on a spot or you will never do it on your own! Don't rush it -- it may take more than two weeks. Perfection before progression!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

^^^^^YES!

DO. NOT. RUSH. SKILLS.

You can't be like "4 days on the slanted mat, I got this!" when you're dealing with a BHS.

No one with any knowledge of proper skill progressions is going to agree to spot you in the ground when you're still on slanted mat. Or if they try, and you eat mat, they're moving you back to slanted mat, anyway.

Work through the above progressions first.

If you don't, you will a.) develop awful technique because you rushed your BHS and it will be janky/thrown over/legs everywhere or b.) get hurt or c.) fall so many times, you'll develop a mental block. Seen all 3 of those happen!

^^^^^YES!

DO. NOT. RUSH. SKILLS.

You can't be like "4 days on the slanted mat, I got this!" when you're dealing with a BHS.

No one with any knowledge of proper skill progressions is going to agree to spot you in the ground when you're still on slanted mat. Or if they try, and you eat mat, they're moving you back to slanted mat, anyway.

Work through the above progressions first.

If you don't, you will a.) develop awful technique because you rushed your BHS and it will be janky/thrown over/legs everywhere or b.) get hurt or c.) fall so many times, you'll develop a mental block. Seen all 3 of those happen!
she can be spotted on the ground if she has it BY HERSELF on the slanted mat..?

pittsburgh poison is comin through your area, causin mass hysteria!

Drills | For the "Love" of TumblingFor the "Love" of Tumbling Here are a ton of drills for getting your standing handspring...and the best part, you can do most of them at home. Practice makes perfect and you'll get it soon, just make sure you're 100% confident in throwing it and that it's hitting 10/10 times before you compete it. I learned the hard way...got my standing tuck a week before comp, didn't throw it much. It hit during warm-up and I felt ridiculously great about. However, 10 seconds into the routine I threw it, wayyy over-rotated and landing on my head. Hello concussion, a mental block that I still haven't shook years later and embarrassment for eating mat. (I finished the routine though!) But I still regret throwing it too soon, another week or so and I probably would have hit it and not had to relearn skills. :( Oh, this video helps lots too! :) Don't let me scare you off! You're going to get the skill and it's going to be the most beautiful thing ever! <3 Also, have you tried having it spotted going up the slanted mat? It's a bit harder but will really build your endurance and strength. Hope this helped! Good luck. :)

Drills | For the "Love" of TumblingFor the "Love" of Tumbling Here are a ton of drills for getting your standing handspring...and the best part, you can do most of them at home. Practice makes perfect and you'll get it soon, just make sure you're 100% confident in throwing it and that it's hitting 10/10 times before you compete it. I learned the hard way...got my standing tuck a week before comp, didn't throw it much. It hit during warm-up and I felt ridiculously great about. However, 10 seconds into the routine I threw it, wayyy over-rotated and landing on my head. Hello concussion, a mental block that I still haven't shook years later and embarrassment for eating mat. (I finished the routine though!) But I still regret throwing it too soon, another week or so and I probably would have hit it and not had to relearn skills. :( Oh, this video helps lots too! :) Don't let me scare you off! You're going to get the skill and it's going to be the most beautiful thing ever! <3 Also, have you tried having it spotted going up the slanted mat? It's a bit harder but will really build your endurance and strength. Hope this helped! Good luck. :)

Thanks that was really helpful I will try doing some I those things

Back