I Want To Be Tumbling (well) For At Least 5 More Years...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 4, 2016
Looking for some assistance with building my strength back up for tumbling. I'm at the ripe old age of 25 and cheered all through middle school, high school and then co-ed in college. Tumbled the entire time, and while I still technically have the same skills I had back then I've been experiencing issues with my shoulders and am looking for some assistance with how to address the issue and preserve my skills (I coach and have recently been asked to join an 18+ performance team). When I do back-handsprings, I feel this super rough tightness in between where my collarbones meet my neck. No stretch seems to work on it, and after doing a single standing bhs the area is just beyond painful for several days after. Any ideas? Note: I do have osteoarthritis in other major joints, but not my shoulders. The only shoulder issues I've had is a handful of dislocations that didn't cause any lingering issues (to my knowledge), and bursitis.

Honestly, if your insurance covers it, I'd go see either a physio or chiro to have them assess you and give you strengthening exercises/treatment to help out. You could have a problem due to shoulders, neck, back, who knows. I know they can be expensive though if you have to pay for it yourself. Good luck. I hope you find something that works

Looking for some assistance with building my strength back up for tumbling. I'm at the ripe old age of 25 and cheered all through middle school, high school and then co-ed in college. Tumbled the entire time, and while I still technically have the same skills I had back then I've been experiencing issues with my shoulders and am looking for some assistance with how to address the issue and preserve my skills (I coach and have recently been asked to join an 18+ performance team). When I do back-handsprings, I feel this super rough tightness in between where my collarbones meet my neck. No stretch seems to work on it, and after doing a single standing bhs the area is just beyond painful for several days after. Any ideas? Note: I do have osteoarthritis in other major joints, but not my shoulders. The only shoulder issues I've had is a handful of dislocations that didn't cause any lingering issues (to my knowledge), and bursitis.

I regularly post about conditioning and rehab/prehab activities on our website Home and on our instagram page Dr. Travis Owens‍⚕️ (@thecheerdoc) • Instagram photos and videos (@thecheerdoc).

I'd be happy to help if you have any specific questions!

Back