All-Star Iasf Ages

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 28, 2018
Right now there is a loop hole for kids who are hoping to make a worlds team next year, but are now too young for s5 next year (kids who are turning 13 this year after August 31st). They can try out for an open team since the age is 14 by dec. 31 2019 - does anyone know if there is proposed changes coming to the open age? Will this loop hole be closed in coming years?

I don't know that the ages will change on the IASF age grid, but I would hope the new Open divisions ages are changed for USASF. May not happen for this coming season, but maybe in the future. I'm mostly curious to see who goes Open instead of International Open next year. I would think most of the top teams would be Open, but who knows. Because I could see IASF trying to implement the rules they tried to do this season which didn't go over well.

The biggest catch with this is that if a 12 year old (turning 14 by end of 2019) wants to be on an open team, they will not be able to compete until January. Since you have to be 14 in the year of competition. So if they tryout now and the team has competitions before January, they won't be able to compete in them. Not sure how many coaches would hold that spot for someone, especially someone so young. Definitely possible though, especially at smaller gyms that may not have other options.

I heard of one gym that plans to wait to start competitions until January for this reason.

@luv2cheer92

Want to check if I am following correctly, if I am wrong please tell me.

USASF version would be called Open and continue to follow current rules

IASF version would be called International, if they implement the rules they tried to do this season it would be more like a Restricted 5 that gets to compete at Worlds.

I wonder if Open 5 will change to top ten for Worlds instead of top 3 from each country.

@luv2cheer92

Want to check if I am following correctly, if I am wrong please tell me.

USASF version would be called Open and continue to follow current rules

IASF version would be called International, if they implement the rules they tried to do this season it would be more like a Restricted 5 that gets to compete at Worlds.

I wonder if Open 5 will change to top ten for Worlds instead of top 3 from each country.
Correct as far as the distinction. The IASF rules still allowed doubles, they would have just been scored the same as fulls in tumbling. The biggest change though was in baskets. Though level 5 baskets would still be allowed, just not ones that twist.
This is just pure speculation on my part and I have not heard anything. They very well could not implement those at all.

I would love to see them take the top 10 for Open at Worlds. Them labeling it as a "club" division, as the senior divisions are, gets my hopes up.

I have no inside knowledge, but I would be shocked if they didn't follow the same division guidelines (and scoresheet) as the other club divisions. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure why those age brackets were initially called "international" to begin with.

I imagine some US teams will continue to compete in the "International" divisions, but I would think the vast majority of the strongest US teams will happily jump back into the club divisions most of those athletes grew up in for the non-geography-based finals and more balanced scoring.

Latest posts

Back