All-Star Icu Worlds 2017

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I believe that if cheerleading ever gets into olympics, it will be the premier divisions. They also have to held olympic trials (like in other disciplines) to determine who gets to compete at the olympic games. So that is the reason to push countries for level 6. And btw, England do competed in Premier division back in 2009 (first ICU cheerleading championships, #iwasthere) and got bronze medal!

Were you on the team then, I can't tell if that's what you mean so sorry if the following is not new information! They weren't a unified team then, they were an all star team that competed at that level. I think the majority of that team has either retired or now competes level 5. I don't know if there has been enough level 6 training in England in the past 8 years since that to have trained up enough all girl level 6 talent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Were you on the team then, I can't tell if that's what you mean so sorry if the following is not new information! They weren't a unified team then, they were an all star team that competed at that level. I think the majority of that team has either retired or now competes level 5. I don't know if there has been enough level 6 training in England in the past 8 years since that to have trained up enough all girl level 6 talent.

I competed against them but indeed they were an all star team (Rising Stars if I remember correctly).

[Q
I believe that if cheerleading ever gets into olympics, it will be the premier divisions. They also have to held olympic trials (like in other disciplines) to determine who gets to compete at the olympic games. So that is the reason to push countries for level 6. And btw, England do competed in Premier division back in 2009 (first ICU cheerleading championships, #iwasthere) and got bronze medal!

The team that competed in premier in 2009 no longer exists and hasn't for years. Also as the sport continues to develop, that routine wouldn't be very competitive today, which is how it works with cheer constantly evolving. There are currently 2 teams competing level 6 in England, both are coed, both are new teams created within the past 12 months, and neither are ready to be competitive at ICU worlds. But anyway, this makes no difference to the difficult position team England all girl are now in, as these coed teams are heavily filled with male athletes (I only make an example of England as it's my main knowledge base for cheer and they just won and now have this 'must move to premier' issue, but I'm sure many countries are in a similar position). Correct me if I'm wrong (and I could be!) but isn't level 6 traditionally a university level, while ICU worlds senior is open to something like age 14 years plus? These points don't match up to me. I'm not opposed to change if that's the way it's going but I guess my main issue is why is level 6 being perceived as more appropriate for the Olympics? Even in all star where it is getting more competitive, most teams don't even nearly match up to the top university teams like Louisville and Bangkok. So there will only be a small handful of countries who could make a decent showing at the Olympics. Surely it won't look great for the cause if they introduce cheer into the Olympics and all but 5 countries' teams are a car crash. There is going to be huge opposition to cheer getting into the Olympics, and if happens we need as many countries as possible putting out clean, exciting routines to prove it's a good idea. If they remove elite as an option, most won't be able to.

[Q

The team that competed in premier in 2009 no longer exists and hasn't for years. Also as the sport continues to develop, that routine wouldn't be very competitive today, which is how it works with cheer constantly evolving. There are currently 2 teams competing level 6 in England, both are coed, both are new teams created within the past 12 months, and neither are ready to be competitive at ICU worlds. But anyway, this makes no difference to the difficult position team England all girl are now in, as these coed teams are heavily filled with male athletes (I only make an example of England as it's my main knowledge base for cheer and they just won and now have this 'must move to premier' issue, but I'm sure many countries are in a similar position). Correct me if I'm wrong (and I could be!) but isn't level 6 traditionally a university level, while ICU worlds senior is open to something like age 14 years plus? These points don't match up to me. I'm not opposed to change if that's the way it's going but I guess my main issue is why is level 6 being perceived as more appropriate for the Olympics? Even in all star where it is getting more competitive, most teams don't even nearly match up to the top university teams like Louisville and Bangkok. So there will only be a small handful of countries who could make a decent showing at the Olympics. Surely it won't look great for the cause if they introduce cheer into the Olympics and all but 5 countries' teams are a car crash. There is going to be huge opposition to cheer getting into the Olympics, and if happens we need as many countries as possible putting out clean, exciting routines to prove it's a good idea. If they remove elite as an option, most won't be able to.

RS coed 6 Electra is in small coed at worlds and currently only has 4 guys.

Is the age range for elite and premier the same? At USASF worlds level 5 international is 14+ and level 6 international is 17+ I believe. That's going to make it difficult for teams transitioning between the two divisions who could potentially be losing the bulk of their athletes.

Is the age range for elite and premier the same? At USASF worlds level 5 international is 14+ and level 6 international is 17+ I believe. That's going to make it difficult for teams transitioning between the two divisions who could potentially be losing the bulk of their athletes.
For Elite it is 14+ and for Premier 15+. I believe that in previous years some teams have struggled with it but at least in Europe, there is a trend that the athletes are becoming "older" and continue cheer for longer. When I was active, there were not many people in senior team (thus Premier 15+) who were 20+...

Another issue with teams moving up: what about countries that dont have a national team? I know several countries who send the winner of their nationals to worlds to represent the country. In case another team wins nationals as the team that went to worlds the year before, then this team is forced to move up while they maybe wouldnt even made top 3 if they had been there. Or even with the same team. People leave, new people enter the team, so a whole lot weaker team might be forced to move up due to the succes if a previous team.

Im concerned about safety when forcing teams to move up to level 6. If you read what icu has to say, they talk alot about safety, but forcing teams up a level doesnt seem safe. Like mentioned before a country may simply not have qualified coaches to lead a level 6 team.

In my country only 2 teams compete in level 5. All the others are lower levels. Im sure more countries that are new to cheer dont have high level teams, not to mention how expensive it is for these teams to go to worlds. If the elite level might disapear, it will get very boring, im sure it will end up with just the same few teams competing.

Another issue with teams moving up: what about countries that dont have a national team? I know several countries who send the winner of their nationals to worlds to represent the country. In case another team wins nationals as the team that went to worlds the year before, then this team is forced to move up while they maybe wouldnt even made top 3 if they had been there. Or even with the same team. People leave, new people enter the team, so a whole lot weaker team might be forced to move up due to the succes if a previous team.

Im concerned about safety when forcing teams to move up to level 6. If you read what icu has to say, they talk alot about safety, but forcing teams up a level doesnt seem safe. Like mentioned before a country may simply not have qualified coaches to lead a level 6 team.

In my country only 2 teams compete in level 5. All the others are lower levels. Im sure more countries that are new to cheer dont have high level teams, not to mention how expensive it is for these teams to go to worlds. If the elite level might disapear, it will get very boring, im sure it will end up with just the same few teams competing.

I think one long Term goal is also to only have real National teams competing. At the Olympics you normally dont see Club teams if I am not mistaken.

I think one long Term goal is also to only have real National teams competing. At the Olympics you normally dont see Club teams if I am not mistaken.

Yeah I think that would actually be better, only national teams for ICU.

Maybe the long term plan is to have level junior elite and senior premier.

Back