High School Impress Coach With Stunting

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 19, 2013
Hi! Since I started cheerleading for school, I had always been a backspot. Last week my coach asked me to base for a stunt and I agreed but let her know that was my first time basing. I was a little unsure of myself because like I said, I had never based and it was a diificult stunt to just jump into. She said I was being "wimpy" so I ended up doing the stunt succesfully. I just got out of practice and I based again. At first I was a little hesitant, but every time the stunt hit successfully time after time I started to feel more and more confident. The coach continues to say I'm being wimpy about basing, but I am putting my all into it and feel like I'm doing a really good job? I don't complain and I am confident now. How do I show her I'm not being wimpy or scared? I want to be a reliable stunter and I want to impress her. Thank you!

I tell my bases they are being wimpy for two reasons. First they are basing as if they don't want to succeed at it so they can go back to the spot they want. And second they aren't jumping into the stunt and doing whatever it takes to make the stunt hit. Such as a stunt starts to bobble, and they automatically back out and have the stunt fall. If you want to impress your coach, let her see that! Base like you back, save that stunt at all costs, talk to other bases who have been doing it for longer what you are doing wrong. Accept advice from others. In fact seek it out! That above everything else will impress your coach. One thing I try and have my girls learn is that a successful athlete is an all around player. You usually back, but the team needs a base for a stunt, you can jump right in there and tackle it. Who mows you might be an awesome base, and by the end of the season you might like it better then backing! Good luck!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I tell my bases they are being wimpy for two reasons. First they are basing as if they don't want to succeed at it so they can go back to the spot they want. And second they aren't jumping into the stunt and doing whatever it takes to make the stunt hit. Such as a stunt starts to bobble, and they automatically back out and have the stunt fall. If you want to impress your coach, let her see that! Base like you back, save that stunt at all costs, talk to other bases who have been doing it for longer what you are doing wrong. Accept advice from others. In fact seek it out! That above everything else will impress your coach. One thing I try and have my girls learn is that a successful athlete is an all around player. You usually back, but the team needs a base for a stunt, you can jump right in there and tackle it. Who mows you might be an awesome base, and by the end of the season you might like it better then backing! Good luck!

I actually really like basing haha :) Thank you for the advice!

There you go!! Just keep working at it. One thing to remember is that the best stunt groups talk things out. They problem solve when things aren't going right, they try different grips, they talk to other groups. Don't be afraid to look for help, and don't be afraid to offer help when you can. You will have to post some videos of your new basing skills!

Keep trying! Versatility is great! I'm normally a backspot, but was thrown into a group as a base during the summer of my first year working for UCA. I made a point to learn every stunt as a base and backspot, and was eventually added onto more camps because I was able to fill in more spots. If someone gets injured, you may have to switch spots or learn a new part. Nothing comes easily the first time you try it, but if you keep working, you will be a very valuable asset to your team! Keep up the great work!

I have the same problem except I can't main base . I can backspot & sidebase just not main ..

- The Cheer Barbie Shay

Back