Injury???help! Lol

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 13, 2014
So these past 2 months I have been going to tumbling and when im taking off/ landing for skills like tucks, layouts, and fulls I've been having really severe knee pain. Once I landed & gave it a minute I felt fine. It only hurts on "airborne" skills I guess u could say. It's ok doing skills like level 1 and 2 just not anything higher. My parents don't understand at all of course. They say well you can walk so it must not hurt that bad. So I can walk, yes, BUT how am I supposed to tumble if I have severe pain taking off to set for my skills???? Any ideas or suggestions on what would help or what it could be???

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Last edited:
So these past 2 months I have been going to tumbling and when im taking off/ landing for skills like tucks, layouts, and fulls I've been having really severe knee pain. Once I landed & gave it a minute I felt fine. It only hurts on "airborne" skills I guess u could say. It's ok doing skills like level 1 and 2 just not anything higher. My parents are worthless of course. They say well you can walk so it must not hurt that bad. So I can walk, yes, BUT how am I supposed to tumble if I have severe pain taking off to set for my skills???? Any ideas or suggestions on what would help or what it could be???

I would reword "my parents are worthless". They might not understand you are in genuine pain, but my guess is they work hard to keep you in cheer, love you, and have good intentions. Maybe talk to your Coach about the pain and they can explain the seriousness of possible knee injuries to your parents. It sounds like you should get a doctor to check it out. You always want to protect and take care of your knees.

Wouldn't hurt to take videos of you doing those skills to show someone who knows proper form. They can slow the video down and watch for how your knees and feet line up when you set.

Patellar tendenitis (jumper's knee), is a pretty common injury for cheerleaders and many wear what I call the "knee bra" to support the knee. You need to get it looked at.

This does sound like Tendinitis perhaps. Repetitive pounding on the knee area, common in tumbling (especially if landing short on passes, landing flat footed, etc.) can cause issues with the tendon, especially if fluid gets in there.
Tendinitis = Inflammation/ irritation of the tendon, a cord that attaches bone to muscle. Common issue around the knee.
It could be a number of other things though, and only a doctor can diagnose (x-rays, MRIs, etc. may be needed).

Remember, just because you can walk on it does not mean that there isn't injury........the bone isn't broken & you aren't profusely bleeding, but there can still be irritation of the muscles, bones & everything in between (internal injuries). If the pain is so bad that you want to cry/physically cannot bear it, tell mom that the pounding hurts your knee area UNBEARABLY BAD when you jump/land on your knee. Ask her if she can get you checked at the doctors for Tendinitis because it is serious.

Patellar tendenitis (jumper's knee), is a pretty common injury for cheerleaders and many wear what I call the "knee bra" to support the knee. You need to get it looked at.

I had tendinitis in my elbow (which have screws in them so they're already weaker and my left is extra weak). If you go to the doctor and you have this, take the time you need out! They told me to take 4-6 weeks off, I only took 3 off bc it was comp season, and it ended up flaring up again at cheer camp. It was SO painful but obviously I couldn't really stop, just had to ice it every chance I had. Listen to the doctor! Im the worst at it (hard to trust them when multiple people tell you your arm
isn't broken and then turns out you need surgery... And 3 weeks later it turns out the other one is broken too and you have to have another surgery) but I've learned my lesson!

Thank you so much!!! I went and did further research on "jumpers knee" & it matches all my symptoms. I think my parents are starting to come around to. I had a tumbling class shortly after I posted this and they seemed to understand better the pain of it!!! I'm with u guys....it's obviously not broken or I wouldn't b walking but it's definitely not normal!!!! Thank you so much!!! Thinking a lot of icing and advil for a while!!! Lol

Thank you so much!!! I went and did further research on "jumpers knee" & it matches all my symptoms. I think my parents are starting to come around to. I had a tumbling class shortly after I posted this and they seemed to understand better the pain of it!!! I'm with u guys....it's obviously not broken or I wouldn't b walking but it's definitely not normal!!!! Thank you so much!!! Thinking a lot of icing and advil for a while!!! Lol

I was going to mention before this post - my daughter had been having problems with pain when tumbling, similar to your issue... I mentioned this to her coach, well actually my daughter mentioned this to her coach and they had her sit out doing running tumbling section of practice... The coach spoke to me and advised me and luckily, the gym referred me to a sport medicine facility (orthopedic doctor)... The doctor examined and then did an ultra sound on the leg and discovered she had a hamstring and tendinitis in the knee area and sent her to the on-site chiropractor (who noticed the irregular set in the hip area when she backspotted and doing BHS (due to accommodating for the extra growth spurt, particularly, in the legs) and now she has been going to Physical Therapy to fix all the problems.... So, I will advise you in addition to icing the pain, go to an orthopedic doctor or sport medicine facility in your area, most accept insurance and have them treat you for this issue...
PS: My daughter has been going for treatment now for 1 month and says she is feeling 90% better and she learned how to set her hips inward to accommodate for her long legs. ;)

Last edited:
Please get this checked out by a physic/sport doctor/chiro/someone similar. Just wearing a brace may help short term, but it may not solve the problem. If it is a chronic issue, you need time to rest and also some physic or other exercises to strengthen the area. Depending on your age, you should also look at some form of strength training (weights or if you're younger, conditioning). Strong quads, hamstrings and calves will help with knee problems, as all the muscles in your legs attach through tendons to different sides of your knees. These help hold your knee joint in place, to put it simply. If they are strong, your knees are stronger. If they are weak muscles, you will be more prone to injury. Talk to a professional and follow their instructions, even if it's time off. Your knees are the only joint that can't really be repaired to 100% after injury

Back