OT Injury/operation/sports

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Jul 8, 2014
Okay so I have a random forum for you all but its not that interesting but if you read it then thank you:) okay so I'm a tad nervous about this issue i have with my toe joint. I have been cheerleading and tumbling on the dead mat for a while and I'm a track and field athlete. I have had a bunion since i was in the fifth grade, and eventually i will need an operation. During my recent cheer and track seasons my issue became very very painful and I am considering the operation soon so that I can be back into sports as soon as possible and not have to worry about the pain. But if any of you have experienced issues with a problem like this or have had a bunion procedure I am sort of nervous about it and I wouldn't mind advice on my timing for it or just on a general experience of a similar issue. I am hoping i can get the procedure this summer so that I can cheer and do indoor and outdoor track this school year, it would be really unfortunate if i missed a season because i have been training so hard and I'm going into my junior year which is where I am hoping to start getting looked at by colleges for athletics. But if anyone has advice on this or anything helpful that would be great. Sorry if this isn't that great of a forum but I just wanna see if anyone has something to say about it. Thank you for reading:)

I had bunion surgery on both sides of both feet. Have you been to a podiatrist and had X-rays taken? If not, you need to start there. When I had my surgeries, they needed to do the inside of my left foot by itself because they needed to break a bone in my foot. That one required me to be in a cast for 6 weeks. A year after I had that done they removed the remaining 3 all at one time and the healing time was approximately 3 weeks. Each person is different so depending on the severity, healing time is different for everyone. I am glad I got it taken care of when I was young (20 yrs old). My podiatrist preferred to only operate on severe cases. He was amazed how bad mine were at such a young age. If you have any other questions, I'll try to help. I'm sure the surgery is less evasive now. I have no regrets, I still have wide feet but am fortunate that I no longer need to buy wide width shoes. GOOD LUCK!!

My cousin had the operation and after recovery she went back to track and is not on any pain! (she also claims she is faster but I'm not convinced).
I would advise that you keep stretching and doing some conditioning (that doesn't put pressure on it) otherwise you may find it hard to return to cheer after.
Best of luck with the op!

I haven't had this problem, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Talk to your Doctor. What do they say. Make sure they know about your athletics so they can help get you back as soon as is safe. And I think you should get it dealt with as soon as the Doctor recommends. Yup, you may miss this year with college scouts and such, but if you let it get worse, it may be harder to treat later, or may require longer recovery pulling you off of that college team completely.

While you're in recovery, keep stretching, doing upper body conditioning (and some lower if possible) to keep your self in shape. You could do some cardio too, especially if you have access to a hand bike or maybe a rower (if it's ok with your Doctor) in a gym. That will make coming back easier after. Good luck

Talk to your Doctor. What do they say. Make sure they know about your athletics so they can help get you back as soon as is safe. And I think you should get it dealt with as soon as the Doctor recommends. Yup, you may miss this year with college scouts and such, but if you let it get worse, it may be harder to treat later, or may require longer recovery pulling you off of that college team completely.

While you're in recovery, keep stretching, doing upper body conditioning (and some lower if possible) to keep your self in shape. You could do some cardio too, especially if you have access to a hand bike or maybe a rower (if it's ok with your Doctor) in a gym. That will make coming back easier after. Good luck
THIS, SERIOUSLY. If your doctor says you need surgery, do it. This isn't the exact same situation obviously, but I had two herniated discs in my back from cheering and 3(?) bulging discs, and I found out finishing my sophomore year. My doctor recommended surgery because of the pain I was in and the severity, but I chose not to. I've had multiple rounds of physical therapy and multiple rounds of steroid injections AND kept cheering and now I have the back of an 80 year old and 4 herniated discs and I'm not even 20 yet. If I would have had the surgery I could have (possibly) continued cheering w/ no pain, AND I wouldn't have virtually no disc in my l4/l5. My last MRI showed nothing inbetween my vertebra, and if i would have listened and just had surgery I would most likely be in so much less pain than I am now on a daily basis.

I had bunion surgery on both sides of both feet. Have you been to a podiatrist and had X-rays taken? If not, you need to start there. When I had my surgeries, they needed to do the inside of my left foot by itself because they needed to break a bone in my foot. That one required me to be in a cast for 6 weeks. A year after I had that done they removed the remaining 3 all at one time and the healing time was approximately 3 weeks. Each person is different so depending on the severity, healing time is different for everyone. I am glad I got it taken care of when I was young (20 yrs old). My podiatrist preferred to only operate on severe cases. He was amazed how bad mine were at such a young age. If you have any other questions, I'll try to help. I'm sure the surgery is less evasive now. I have no regrets, I still have wide feet but am fortunate that I no longer need to buy wide width shoes. GOOD LUCK!!
Thanks for replying! (Sorry I'm replying late) but I have been to the doctor just this past week and they told me to get the operation before my next season of track or else it will get worse and start effecting my running and other activities. I have had x rays five years ago when my foot was hurting for no reason (which was when I found out I had the bunion) but Im going to schedule an appointment with the doctor to look at my options for the op and when I can get back into athletics, thanks for the advice! :)

Thanks for replying! I will certainly keep the advice in mind. Hopefully the procedure I get will have a quick recovery time though. Thanks again for the advice! Have a good day!

THIS, SERIOUSLY. If your doctor says you need surgery, do it. This isn't the exact same situation obviously, but I had two herniated discs in my back from cheering and 3(?) bulging discs, and I found out finishing my sophomore year. My doctor recommended surgery because of the pain I was in and the severity, but I chose not to. I've had multiple rounds of physical therapy and multiple rounds of steroid injections AND kept cheering and now I have the back of an 80 year old and 4 herniated discs and I'm not even 20 yet. If I would have had the surgery I could have (possibly) continued cheering w/ no pain, AND I wouldn't have virtually no disc in my l4/l5. My last MRI showed nothing inbetween my vertebra, and if i would have listened and just had surgery I would most likely be in so much less pain than I am now on a daily basis.
My doctor told me two days ago (was my last appointment) to get an operation before my next track season because of how stressful running is on your feet, especially as a sprinter I run on my toes. So the op is a go for me, I just have to look at my options and expected recovery time. Thanks for replying, have a good day! :)

Back