All-Star Interesting Injury Prevention Gear Site

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It was a condition called Ehlers-Danlos syndrome. Affected people generally don't effectively make collagen, which is the protein that strengthens our ligaments and holds joints tight. It is genetic, and pretty rare, but worth a look. Multiple dislocations of multiple joints is a warning sign. She looked into dietary means of helping control it, with decent results. Took a year off when diagnosed, but got back into sports later. She was a great test subject in class, since every ligament test we try on her feels like it is torn. She is actually working her way into becoming a big name in sports medicine. Proud of her. Check this site out for descriptions of the different types (there are 6), and to see if you think CP should get screened.

The Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation

Edited to tag @catlady

Last edited:
It was a condition called Ehlers-Danlos syndrome. Affected people generally don't effectively make collagen, which is the protein that strengthens our ligaments and holds joints tight. It is genetic, and pretty rare, but worth a look. Multiple dislocations of multiple joints is a warning sign. She looked into dietary means of helping control it, with decent results. Took a year off when diagnosed, but got back into sports later. She was a great test subject in class, since every ligament test we try on her feels like it is torn. She is actually working her way into becoming a big name in sports medicine. Proud of her. Check this site out for descriptions of the different types (there are 6), and to see if you think CP should get screened.

The Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation

Edited to tag @catlady

I have a friend who has this condition. I can't imagine her being a cheerleader when we were younger! Thankfully doctors know so much more about this condition than they did when we were young.

Thank you @CEA_ATC I will call her orthopedic. She dislocated her elbows while we lived in St. Louis and we have never brought it up to him nor were we questioned, we now live in Atlanta. Her PT did raise an eyebrow when he found out she had issues in the past and was the one to point out some of the odd sitting positions she finds comfortable and the way she can contort her feet to the sides. He mentioned a disorder which I believe is the one you brought up and told us it was rare and could affect the heart. I appreciate the link and the concern, it is worth the question.

Back