International 4.2 at Worlds

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

King

Is all about that bass
Staff member
FBOD:LLFB
Dec 4, 2009
So what if we got rid of the International 5 and 6 divisions (made them just open and bumped the Open 5 age to 17) and created an international 4.2? the reason there is such an HEAVY concentration on stunting in international is because they dont tumble well. why fight it... just make 4.2 actually worth something.

and to make the divisions highly unattractive to having a strong US influence, allow only one US team to make finals from the division (and they have to qualify by competing once). suddenly all the international teams can compete and be on the same level and not be out tumbled. and the open divisions (anything I consider high school graduates and older) have a place to go compete after they are done with the club divisions and there is no wonky 3 taems make finals.

of course international teams are completely allowed to enter all the club and open divisions if they want.

hmm, thats interesting
I think it would work for international teams
but many people at gyms (say on level 4 teams) may be upset because a 4.2 team which is often viewed as a lower level can go the THE worlds and they can't
I know im on level 4 and i would be upset if my sister on 4.2 competed and i couldn't

hrmm, there must be a way to prevent that.

what if in the us a competition would only be allowed to give level 5 and 6 bids OR level 4.2 bids?

most US events would not want to give up the 5 or 6 bid giving events.

Hmm that's an intersting thought to bring up. Idk how I really feel about it haha. I understand the reasoning behind it and everything, but I feel like it would create controversy somehow. Like as acx said about the younger 4.2. I wouldn't mind them making an int'l 4.2, but I don't think it should be a worlds division...although I guess that would kill the point of making it in the first place haha idk I'm confusing myself now :/

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

so the problem is that because we want to encourage international competition we are adjusting the scoresheet at worlds so the best international (why the hell do we even call it that, all divisions are international really) teams are the best stunting teams. tumbling is worth less to, in theory, give other countries a chance. it works about as well as no child left behind. making a worlds division for less cheer developed countries would encourage international competition, allow them to compete fairly on a level playing field, and not hinder the open 5 and 6 divisions.

oh, i came up with a better rule.

If your country has at least 5 teams entered in any club or open division you cannot enter international 4.2.

that would eliminate the US. it would eliminate canada at some point (which it should. canada is getting better and better)

but allow, say, chile, to still enter open 6 AND send a team to 4.2

How about instead of 4.2 (which I guess we could keep as it is now for the US) but have international 6.2 or 6.3? The international teams (that I have seen) for the most part can stunt easily and I feel level 4 would be too easy and a toe touch bhs is a skill that makes me think "cheerleader" so I wouldn't want that level to not be able to do them. Isn't the international ages 17+?

international 5 is 14+

if they want to do level 6 skills they would be allowed to enter open 6. they could even have four open 6 teams from whatever country enter along with the 4.2 divisions.

so the problem is that because we want to encourage international competition we are adjusting the scoresheet at worlds so the best international (why the hell do we even call it that, all divisions are international really) teams are the best stunting teams. tumbling is worth less to, in theory, give other countries a chance. it works about as well as no child left behind. making a worlds division for less cheer developed countries would encourage international competition, allow them to compete fairly on a level playing field, and not hinder the open 5 and 6 divisions.

oh, i came up with a better rule.

If your country has at least 5 teams entered in any club or open division you cannot enter international 4.2.

that would eliminate the US. it would eliminate canada at some point (which it should. canada is getting better and better)

but allow, say, chile, to still enter open 6 AND send a team to 4.2

I like that, it makes much more sense. and is more fair to everyone so that international teams have more chance (i feel bad saying that but really) and the "leaders" in cheerleading (US and becoming canada) would not automatically take away from the other teams

Hahahaha! As I was reading this, I was thinking the exact same thing!!! NO NO NO, please, NO!

I understand the reasoning behind it, but come on. No one adjusts gymnastics or figure skating for the "underdeveloped" countries, which there are plenty that fall into that category. Make the other countries work harder to become like us. It's not like they are 3rd world countries without the ability to train. I am completely and totally against this idea. I don't even believe we should have international divisions to begin with. Everyone in the world competing in the same divisions vying for the same title -- WORLD champion. That's how it should be, IMO. :)

i completely agree that we shouldnt adjust for the international teams, but since there doesnt seem to be a way to get them to NOT adjust for the international teams, why not have a division that doesnt mess with open 5 and 6?

how would you all have it done?

I say stop catering to the international teams period and force them to work harder to fall into one of our club divisions, just like teams from teeny tiny gyms here in the U.S. already have to do. No more special divisions. No more catering. Just competitive cheer at it's finest, from all over the world, regardless of how good they are.

Another thought -- maybe we should have the international teams enter the club divisions, but guarantee that at least 3 teams from each country make it to finals on day 2, just like the current international divisions are set up. That way they are guaranteed two days of competition for coming so far AND everyone competes against each other the way I think it should be done. :)

I don't think that is an option because of the desire to increase people from other countries to participate in Worlds. So the question is what is the lesser of two evils? Have a slanted scoresheet towards just stunting in international, or get rid of international in the open divisions, raise the age to 17+, and have a 4.2 for just the international teams?

or international 4.2 teams could compete at the international all levels. Idk how bids would work with that though

Back