Introduction

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

GreenBean

Cheer Parent
Dec 23, 2017
Hello all! Just found this forum and hoping that I can learn from all the experience.

My daughter is 13 and just became a cheerleader this year. She made the middle school squad this fall. Then she discovered All Star and joined one of those teams this winter.

She comes home spouting off all these terms so I’m hoping to learn what things are. She came from gymnastics so I’m good with all of the tumbling terms. It’s the stunting and jumping that I know nothing about!

Welcome to the Fierceboard!
I'm sure you'll learn the cheer terms in no time.

Just ask away if you have any questions.

Thanks Emily for the welcome.

I’m finding it difficult to figure out the best place for my daughter to be. The team she is on right now doesn’t do tumbling at the level that my daughter is capable. I’m worried that she will lose skills or lose interest.

But she adores the girls so it seems like that is an important factor too. Should she move to a gym that will help her reach whatever potential she might have the sport or leave well enough alone? She is on the fence about what she wants to do moving forward.

Tumbling is one aspect of cheer. If she's coming from a gymnastics background, I expect her to be able to tumble at a higher level, but her jumps and stunting will be at a lower level. I can't tell you how many times I've seen gymnasts put on a level equal to their tumbling, and just be completely outclassed in every single other category on the scoresheet. They quit every single time because they're relegated to only tumbling and not involved in any other parts of the routine. Let her be down a level or two, and learn how to do all other required elements in a routine safely. It's in her best interest.

Tumbling is one aspect of cheer. If she's coming from a gymnastics background, I expect her to be able to tumble at a higher level, but her jumps and stunting will be at a lower level. I can't tell you how many times I've seen gymnasts put on a level equal to their tumbling, and just be completely outclassed in every single other category on the scoresheet. They quit every single time because they're relegated to only tumbling and not involved in any other parts of the routine. Let her be down a level or two, and learn how to do all other required elements in a routine safely. It's in her best interest.

Thank you for explaining! This makes sense.

Thank you for explaining! This makes sense.
No problem. I've so many people in a rush to move up, and every single time they've been "held back" it works out for the better in the end. Enjoy the ride. All Star is unlike almost anything else, but it can be a lot of fun while it lasts!

She left gymnastics last February as a Level 8 and wanted something that would keep her in shape and would allow her to use her talents. She tried soccer and then found cheer. Then she discovered all star and she is in heaven!

She loves the hair and the make up and the traveling with her team. The hours aren’t as intense as gym but the conditioning is enough to keep her happy. She took a flight class last spring and discovered her air sense served her well. She quickly learned how to do a full up and a double down. She is even willing to work flexibility at home...something she never did for gymnastics. She is even getting close to a standing full in the mandatory tumbling class.

I have little idea where all the levels fit in but her gym is a small one and they only have one senior team anyway. But it’s great to see her passionate about a sport again.

Hi. Ive been a member for a while, but only started posting recently. I just didn't have anything to say :D. Im glad your daughter found something she is passionate about. It really is a great sport. My girl is also 13.

I'm glad your daughter found cheer! I totally agree others.....gymnasts bring some amazing strengths to a team!! But letting her start in the lower levels where she can figure out the basics of stunting and basing is sooooo important in the long run!!!! And you truly don't want her to just be a tumbler when she can start a little lower and get the basics....you never know where she might find her niche :) And I am definitely a mom who is not big on pushing up fast....there are so many levels to experience and grow on!! I'm glad she's having fun!!!!!

Hi! I am new to this board and the cheer world as well. My daughter is younger - she is 11 yrs old. She is on a level 1 team but can tumble more than that. At least at my gym rarely are you on a team at your tumble or even top skill level as being on a team equals complete mastery of the team level. So tumbling level and team level are never equal b/c you are always improving. I love that our gym offers an all class pass so my daughter can go to as many jump, flex and tumbling classes as she wants to improve and work on new skills. This is our first year on all star. My daughter did a year of prep last year.

Welcome to the boards! I love this place! Been on the boards for years...couldn't get my log in to work this year, so I'm starting again! Lots of great people sharing some amazing knowledge!

Let the coaches help her in other cheer aspects and she will progress safely. It's great that she loves the girls on her team. That's what fosters a love of this sport.

Hello all! Just found this forum and hoping that I can learn from all the experience.

My daughter is 13 and just became a cheerleader this year. She made the middle school squad this fall. Then she discovered All Star and joined one of those teams this winter.

She comes home spouting off all these terms so I’m hoping to learn what things are. She came from gymnastics so I’m good with all of the tumbling terms. It’s the stunting and jumping that I know nothing about!

Fun! Congrats to her :) It's a cult really but so fun. I tried to get mine to do every other sport; this is her love. With her gymnastics background I bet she is a beautiful tumbler!

My daughter comes from a gymnastic background as well. She was a level 7 then went the xcel path because she wanted to try other things. In the end, she decided that she wanted to do school sports instead of gymnastics. She has done volleyball, softball, track and cheer. She is a sophomore and just finishing her second year on the varsity squad. She is the only tumbler on the squad. Other than the difference between a toe touch and stradle jump, she hasnt struggled with cheer but it is a non stunting group.

Back