Inverted Handstand Pyramid

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 19, 2010
Hi everybody

I guess this pyramid is not legal in level 3, but I can't really decide why (maybe because the center flyer connects with hand/foot?). Do you have any ideas how to make it legal for level 3? :)

Could it be that it's extended? It sounds to me like it can pass through extended, but it can't be stationary there. (G2 under pyramid inversions: The base that remains in contact with the top person may extend their arms during the transition, if the skill starts and ends in a position at prep level or below.) The way I'm reading it, the hand/foot contact seems to only be for release moves.

Stunts rule K. Bases may not support any weight of a top person while that base is in a backbend or inverted position. - This is why the handstand is illegal.

Additionally, Pyramid Rule F2: Top person must remain in direct contact with at least two different top persons at prep level or below. One of these contacts must be hand/arm-to-hand/arm. The second contact may be either hand/arm-to-hand/arm or hand/arm-to-foot/lower-leg (below knee). - This is why the tick tock is illegal.

Last edited:
Stunts rule K. Bases may not support any weight of a top person while that base is in a backbend or inverted position. - This is why the handstand is illegal.

Additionally, Pyramid Rule F2: Top person must remain in direct contact with at least two different top persons at prep level or below. One of these contacts must be hand/arm-to-hand/arm. The second contact may be either hand/arm-to-hand/arm or hand/arm-to-foot/lower-leg (below knee). - This is why the tick tock is illegal.

I don't see how the BASE ever becomes inverted? I see it in the tick took though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Level 3 inverted stunts aren't allowed above shoulder level. Downward inversions are only allowed at waist level.

Level 3 inverted stunts aren't allowed above shoulder level. Downward inversions are only allowed at waist level.

But how is this inversion legal then, isn't that a downward inversion? On 2:10:

Thank you for all the answers, the rules are so hard to understand especially when english is not my first language :p

Thank you for all the answers, the rules are so hard to understand especially when english is not my first language :p

This may not be the reason at all, but that is from 3 years ago. The rules change just about every year.

If you are talking about the 2 handstand stunts on the side that then spin, they are not currently legal.

Hi everybody

I guess this pyramid is not legal in level 3, but I can't really decide why (maybe because the center flyer connects with hand/foot?). Do you have any ideas how to make it legal for level 3? :)

There are only 2 legalities here.

Level 3 Pyramids F2
Top person must remain in direct contact with at least two different top persons at prep level or below. One of these contacts must be hand/arm-to-hand/arm. The second contact may be either hand/arm-to-hand/arm or hand/arm-to-foot/lower-leg (below knee).

Clarification: Pyramid Release Moves must be braced on two separate sides (i.e. right side-left side, left side - back side, etc...) by two separate bracers. (Example: two bracers on the same arm will no longer be permitted) A top person must be braced on 2 of the 4 sides (front, back, right, left) of her/his body.

- You need at least two bracers for the tick tock.

Level 3 Pyramids G1
Must follow Level 3 Stunts Inversions rules.

Level 3 Stunts J1
No inverted stunts above shoulder level. The connection and support of the top person with the base(s) must be at shoulder level or below.

- You can't be in an extended position while inverted. This used to be legal because the glossary used to state that an extended position was "When the entire body of the top person is extended in an upright position over the base(s)." Which is why you'll notice that "When the entire body of the top person is above the head of the base(s)" has been added to the definition of extended position in the newest version of the rules.

There are no downward inversions in this video. When she goes to grab the bases hands she is not inverted (When the athlete’s shoulders are below her/his waist and at least one foot is above her/his head.) And by definition in order to be considered a downward inversion, the flyers centre of gravity would have to be heading toward the performing surface while she was inverted, which it is not.

The only way to be certain of legality is to send a video to [email protected] and follow the guidelines set out on this page Cheer Questions | USASF Cheer Rules You must now provide your coach USASF member ID number and your programs USASF member ID number in order to receive a response. Good luck! :)

Back