Is 19 Too Old To Start Cheerleading?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 24, 2016
Hi there!

I am a rising college sophomore and I really want to make my college's competitive cheer team. It's a bit easier to make than the school's team however I have NO cheer experience, and they definitely expect at least a back handspring and standing back tuck in terms of tumbling. I've done dance for about 6 years a while ago and I did gymnastics for two years in high school. If I don't make my college's team which I am doubtful I will, I don't know where else to go. What places/teams would even accept a 19 year old with little to no experience? I live in the northern virginia area and I'm pretty sure the teams at my local gym cap it at 18 and that's for people with skills... so help :(

Thanks! :)

Look into Open level teams at your local gyms (ages 17+). Start calling them, as an Open 4 might be a good start for you. Otherwise, talk to the coach at your school and see what they suggest. They may have some suggestions so that you could get some experience in cheer if all-star is not an option. Adult rec teams (the parent team) could be a start too at local all-star gyms. We've had several move from the rec team to Open 4

Hello!
I think it's never too late to start cheering! I recently started a program at my local community college where many of the girls had never cheered in their life (or had only cheered in elementary school) and once they found out they loved cheering, they were the most dedicated to improving. I had one girl started cheering with us at age 20 and another one who started at 18. They worked hard, went to tumbling a few night a week and they turned out to be better than some of my girl who had cheered their whole life!

Back