College Is Camp Mandatory?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 24, 2011
Is it true that every cheerleading squad attends camp? I know that Notre Dame and Auburn do not attend camp (they tend to have camps at their respective campuses instead of travelling to either Milwaukee, Louisville, or Tuscaloosa). Thanks!

Is it true that every cheerleading squad attends camp? I know that Notre Dame and Auburn do not attend camp (they tend to have camps at their respective campuses instead of travelling to either Milwaukee, Louisville, or Tuscaloosa). Thanks!

My school is a D1 school but tends to hold a home camp every year since the UCA college camp in Wisconsin always interferes with a preseason football event that we need to attend.

However this year we didn't do a camp because we are using the money for new uniforms. Possibly a home camp later in fall but I doubt it.

My school is a D1 school but tends to hold a home camp every year since the UCA college camp in Wisconsin always interferes with a preseason football event that we need to attend.

However this year we didn't do a camp because we are using the money for new uniforms. Possibly a home camp later in fall but I doubt it.
That fact that camp for one kid costs as much as a new uniform...

That fact that camp for one kid costs as much as a new uniform...

Hahahah well we are getting the new Power Fit fabric for them so I'm sure they cost a little more. Also we are getting there new circular neckline and the body suits cost more or something like. I don't remember exactly what the varsity rep said during the meeting with her and my coach

^^^^Yes.

From a general coaching perspective (all star and HS), I find that my kids get more "bang for their buck" when we bring camp TO US.

It's based on what WE NEED rather than whatever staff is teaching. It's my kids, in our gym, just like a regular day with TARGETED INSTRUCTION based on what we've already predetermined.

There are also fewer distractions in the way of "OMG IS THAT {INSERT AWESOME SCHOOL HERE?}"

Same is true for college. We went to an away camp a few times, but generally stuck to home.

Definitely. I know that UK attends UCA camp in Wisconsin alongside the likes of Kansas, Minnesota, Michigan State, Purdue, Indiana, Ohio State, and others while the UCA camp in Alabama features Alabama, LSU, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, UCF, Florida State, Sheldon State, and a few others.

Definitely. I know that UK attends UCA camp in Wisconsin alongside the likes of Kansas, Minnesota, Michigan State, Purdue, Indiana, Ohio State, and others while the UCA camp in Alabama features Alabama, LSU, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, UCF, Florida State, Sheldon State, and a few others.
Why would UK travel that far?

As far as I know it's where they've always gone. It's supposed to be the best, or one of the best college camps in the country. I'm sure scheduling also had a lot to do with it. I imagine lots of UK cheerleaders are on staff, so that plays into it I'm sure.

I always went to UCA camp at Tennesssee. Loved college camp, hated high school camp! Our school paid for everything in college, so I never thought about the cost. As a coach we've done lots of different camps. IMO camp is a waste of money for us, but I know that for some schools it may be the only instruction they get all season.

As far as I know it's where they've always gone. It's supposed to be the best, or one of the best college camps in the country. I'm sure scheduling also had a lot to do with it. I imagine lots of UK cheerleaders are on staff, so that plays into it I'm sure.

I always went to UCA camp at Tennesssee. Loved college camp, hated high school camp! Our school paid for everything in college, so I never thought about the cost. As a coach we've done lots of different camps. IMO camp is a waste of money for us, but I know that for some schools it may be the only instruction they get all season.
Agreed, high school camp is way too expensive. Perhaps the elite camps are worth it, but the normal ones aren't.

The wisconsin uca college camp is the largest of them and has the most staff and most talented staff. Teams come far and wide to the Dells for it. It was always an awesome time when we used to go to Milwaukee for the same camp.

Some coaches like camp for the pressure situations of getting the squad together to be in front of a crowd and some genuinely enjoy their squads getting taught some quality material and skills by the staff. Its all about what you want your squad to get out of it.

Back