Is Cheerleading A Sport?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 26, 2011
Hi i have a school history fair proj that is due soon and the theme is debate and diplomacy in history. what a better topic than cheer through the ages aand the debate over wether or not its a sport,so as i am doing a documentary If anyone could respong with their opinions and reasons it would be great, and amazing if you could video it and say it :) thanks!

i am a cheerleader for school and i compete with champion allstars small senior 5. i would say that school cheerleading is more of a social gathering rather than a sport, but competitive cheerleading is definately a sport.

sport
   http://app.dictionary.com/signup/po...lbackAction=addToFav&domaindest=reference.com[spawrt, spohrt] Show IPA

–noun
an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

dictionary result for "sport"
Cheerleading does take athletic skill.
Cheerleading IS competitive.
I would give a nice long paragraph following this.. but it'll turn into rambling
smile.png

Hi i have a school history fair proj that is due soon and the theme is debate and diplomacy in history. what a better topic than cheer through the ages aand the debate over wether or not its a sport,so as i am doing a documentary If anyone could respong with their opinions and reasons it would be great, and amazing if you could video it and say it :) thanks!
we have to do the debate and diplomacy project 2 at my school!

cheer is definitly a sport!
it is just as hard or more than any other sport i have ever done i do how ever think that allstar cheer is more of one than high school is

what i always ask people is:
-do you consider gymnastics a sport? (they answer yes)
then
-do you consider dance a sport? (they say yes again..)
-how about a combination of both of those, added with lifting people your size into the are ALL while looking fierce?
oh yess its definitely a sport.

Everyone on the floor is considered an ATHLETE as we frequently refer to the necessary athletic skills for proper completion of routines. However, as great athletes ALL school-based portion of Cheer (the real CheerLeaders leading crowds in support of another sport), does not meet the definition of Sport.

Sport is “attending regular competitions leading to a final, State, Regional or National Competition.” In addition Cheer Leadership really has very open opportunities for participation as Sponsors, Advisors or Coaches & that level of Leadership is critical to the SAFETY of all Cheer athletes.

My point is Cheer is currently divided into two basic groups;

Group 1: Cheerleaders – leading crowds in support of another sport
Group 2: Cheer Entertainers – performing Cheer physical skills in competition for titles
(ie. All*Stars)

Cheer Competitors (Entertainers), athletes using the skills of CheerLeading to entertain crowds and are judged on skill execution against other Cheer competitors may qualify by competing several times a year to attend a year-end State, Regional or National Competition.

In some schools, athletes perform for the crowd as Cheerleaders, and yet they compete, so in those cases they maybe both an athlete & involved in a sport.

Hope this helps you!

That's not even a question cheerleading is most DEFINANTLY a sport!!!....athletes lift weights, cheerleaders lift athletes!

Back