All-Star Is Fearless Allstars Closed??!!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I don't disagree with you, whenever I use a review site I try to find the middle of the road reviews, they are usually the most helpful. For example on tripadvisor, I look at the 2-4 star reviews and ignore the 5 star and 1 star. Assume the 5 stars are someone connected somehow to the business and the 1 star is the customer that is probably very hard to please. I think the hard thing about trying to implement something like this for cheer gyms would be all the "cheer crazies" piping in with their two cents even though they have not actually been clients of the gym.

My point exactly. Too easy to fluff the numbers one way or the other. Which is why a document of what to look for and questions to ask that could be applicable to any gym regardless of location, gym size or competitive history is a better option.

So as a cheer mom who has been a Fearless Allstars for a couple years I am now concerned!!! The gym announced they were closed effective immediately 2hours before practice because we were moving to a new location but it didn’t say where or when we would reopen. We finally got an address and I called the building owner/landlord yesterday and they told me they were NOT leasing that space to us. I drove by our current location and there is red tape across the door that says “do not enter” and it is from the landlord. Does anyone know anything for sure I am concerned as I already paid my registration fee and I am sure others have as also.

After reading this thread, I would not send my CP there. Red flags went up immediately especially since we live in the general area of this gym. I would find another more reputable gym to go to. JMHO...

I don't understand how architectural obstacles at the current gym would get the door taped shut by the county.

Sounds like it could be a code enforcement issue IMO - which means that they have to make changes to get the structure up to code and wait for an inspector to come out and issue a CO (Certificate of Occupancy). If this is the case, the building is not safe to be occupied at this point. I would venture to guess if this is the issue than July 1 would be a pretty aggressive deadline.

Sounds like it could be a code enforcement issue IMO - which means that they have to make changes to get the structure up to code and wait for an inspector to come out and issue a CO (Certificate of Occupancy). If this is the case, the building is not safe to be occupied at this point. I would venture to guess if this is the issue than July 1 would be a pretty aggressive deadline.
If its a structural issue with the building I think you're spot on with this guess. If its not actually the building itself as an issue the only thing I've seen our county tape a door shut over is unpaid taxes. That or health/fire code violations that are life safety issues will get your doors shut for you....and quickly.

All total speculation, the only thing I would say with absolutely certainty is this whole thing is the textbook definition of sketchy and given the public information out there behind the management. I say run, don't walk, to your nearest option B.

While I agree with the research answer - especially in the light of me being in the field so therefore aware of shenanigans that can go on behind the scenes, I am wondering how a brand new to cheer parent would apply it? To my knowledge there is not an unbiased what your should know before you sign your child up for cheer document that is at the top of Google search, FierceBoard, other message boards, etc. I mean a parent whose child never cheered, the parent never cheered and have no clue as to where to even start to look. Many times what we loudly claim as research in reality is just our preference for our favorite gym(s) based on competitive style/flair, competition results, and friendships.

For example if I look at the what is passed on as research now for when my daughter first started cheer there would of only been 2 gyms to go to out of 75 in the state. One 90 minutes away and another 3 hours away. And even they did not have 100 percent favorable ratings but they are definitely the most popular and therefore the most advocated for gyms in the state. She would of never cheered. I would not be coaching. There is no way I would of put her in that situation with school. I would not of put myself or my wife on the road after work, juggling schedules just to get her to one of those two gyms so she could see if she liked cheer and to learn a handstand, cartwheel, back walkover and BHS. It didn't matter if she went to Worlds, CheerSport, NCA, Jamfest Indy. I was just trying to get her exposed to the sport she said she wanted to try, have some fun and fit it in the family budget. As she remained in the sport those things became more important, whereas I think the research answer becomes even more relevant and enforceable.

In short we need to continue to find better ways to educate rather than berate.

I'm almost positive we did something like this with PAC.

CharlotteASMom
SharkDad

??

It wasn't a cheer gym, but something like this happened at a business I worked for many years ago. I don't remember all the details, but the owner paid a pretty penny to rush some repairs (I think it was electrical issues that were supposed to be fixed and weren't) and we were reopened within the week. Still remember not getting paid that week. :(

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

The owner/landlord called back and he disclosed as much as he could legally and did not get into specifics, but what he did say was enough to make my decision easy.
In the last email from Fearless to us we were told “Please disregard the unfortunate website banter that appears to be trying to undermine and distort the truth”. It appears the truth is only being distorted by my previous Fearless gym and its owner.
The owner/landlord along with someone else did not tell me but pointed me in the direction to find this information: Based on public information anyone can look up in MD. Seems our Fearless leader knew about the “architectural obstacles” at least since April if not before. He was provided notice and directed to fix the issues or be closed. He was served on May 29th with a fine and a summons to go to court in August for operating after being notified that he needed to voluntary close due to failure to fix the “obstacles” after adequate notification and time to resolve the issues. This explains the sudden closure and signs posted on the door.

Owner/landlord stated:
the “obstacles” are many different issues.

that all the responsibility and cost to resolving all the issues fell on Fearless and that he(owner/landlord) was making no efforts correct the issues.
I saved the most interesting for last: the “architectural” issues are not the biggest issue….He said he could not say how much or for exactly how long but that to date the rent has been past due and not paid for much more than a few months.

Knowing all this, I can officially say I am no longer apart of Fearless and I will seek to get my registration money back, but I am not going to hold my breath.

what so sorry that your family has to go through this. I think you are making the right decision. On the bright side, at least it's June and not December where you have more than just registration fees invested and your CP could lose out on the rest of her competition season. Good Luck finding a new cheer home.

"Deja moo".....the feeling I've heard this bull---- before.

I figured it was something like that. I work for the government and no matter how bad people think they are there is a crazy long "process" to basically everything. No government entity is going to shut a place down on site without a procedure in place and fair notification. It's called due process and it takes a long time.

Isn't this essentially what the last thread about this guy was about? Wow. Best of luck to all the fearless kids that they can get hooked up with a reputable owner. good luck to you and good job on being so diligent to get the answers from someone who would give them to you.

The PAC Cheer Parents 101 document has a section about how to choose a cheer gym.

That's what I was remembering.

The key issue though is still how to get the word out to new parents.

I can't believe how many gyms don't pay rent for SEVERAL months. Ive heard of at least 5 in just the past 4 months. I feel like there are TWO things you pay first when you run a business.... Rent and your Employees. Unfortunately a lot of people miss that in business 101 I guess.

I'm sorry for the families who got caught up in this mess. The good news is that it is very early in the season and a great time to find a new cheer "home". Please shop around as there are several very good gyms in Elkridge, Columbia, etc.

Best of luck to you!

Back