College is it just at my daughter's school?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

D

Deleted member 5411

My daughter is a veteren of her college team but chose not to cheer this coming school year. She is in close contact with the members who chose to come back and apparently the school has a new athletic director who says "a cheerleader has to be at the school, on the squad, from the 1st semester on or they can't compete in Daytona."
Is this a new "real" rule, or just one he made up for TVCC? It never worked that way before.

College cheerleaders have always been able to come in late, or to switch schools and squads for the 2nd semester. I just wanted to know how legit this new rule is, or did the new athletic director just make it up?

I'm pretty sure,my friend who has recently graduated form high school, and is now off to her freshman year at college, was told something along these lines. She was accepted into the january start of courses, so she would be at a different college for the first half of the year. She will not be allowed to cheer at either, but will be allowed to for the next year. Hope this helps!

We don't allow it at my school.

Also in any other sport this would never be allowed,
so in our continued effort to get recognized as such
I definitely support the athletic director's rule.

Thanks for y'alls responses. I had never heard of such a thing in college cheer ever since my oldest a million years ago up to last year with my youngest last year. I knew high school was like that and so many college cheerleaders loved the fact it wasn't handled that way on the college level....at least in the past.
I know for a concrete fact Navarro and TVCC have cheerleaders every so often that switch teams at the end of the Fall semester. Colleges have also filled spots for the Spring semester left open by cheerleaders who didn't make the GPA for the Fall semester and were ineligible for the Spring semester, or due to injury. I guess that won't be happening anymore! :rotfl:

Thanks again for your feedback. I appreciate it!! :)

I wonder if this is an actual rule, though, or just one that many colleges follow. If it is a rule, is it a new one.....or an old one a lot of colleges didn't follow?

There's not really a rule that prevents it because no one besides Varsity or ACCAA governs college cheer. To me this whole situation sounds fishy. And I do not know any colleges who allow that. I know that many "sideline" squads that compete do not actually have a GPA requirement set fourth by the school since really the team is just a club under athletics.

I think this is a good idea....it prevents the "ring chasing" that takes place (which is even worse than gym hopping in my opinion). I understand cheer being really important to you, but your education should be first.....I know so many people who at 18 chose a school for cheer, college hopped around on the hunt for a ring..and ended up with lots of student loans and no degree. When you transfer the new college doesn't accept all of your credits from your previous school, so you end up having to "re-do" courses you've already taken, passed and paid for.....then if you don't finish your degree in a certain amount of time, your credits start "expiring"...so you end up being in school forever just because you were a ring chaser.

I think this is a good idea....it prevents the "ring chasing" that takes place (which is even worse than gym hopping in my opinion). I understand cheer being really important to you, but your education should be first.....I know so many people who at 18 chose a school for cheer, college hopped around on the hunt for a ring..and ended up with lots of student loans and no degree. When you transfer the new college doesn't accept all of your credits from your previous school, so you end up having to "re-do" courses you've already taken, passed and paid for.....then if you don't finish your degree in a certain amount of time, your credits start "expiring"...so you end up being in school forever just because you were a ring chaser.

I agree. My daughter is not one that would ever jump ship to ring chase. She is extremely loyal and refuses to quit any team once she's been put on it. She may get frustrated at times to the point of wanting to throttle her teammates, but she keeps it in and sees it through to the end of the year.

She is now trying to figure out what university to go to after this year of completing Jr College courses. Of course, cheerleading is her priority as to how to pick a school (can you see my eyes rolling? lol). She knows that she needs to pick well, because she will be there until she graduates. No switching for her....it's too expensive a game to play with.

I am happy that if cheerleading is her reason to attend college, at least she is attending! She gets her way, and I get my way! :clapping:

Many College teams now take more than double what they will compete with. Say 20 at NCA College Nationals..they will take 40-50 at tryouts..that way they have the best to choose from when injuries hit, or athletes don't make grades. Very smart practice! Good Luck to your daughter, it is a very exciting adventure!

Many College teams now take more than double what they will compete with. Say 20 at NCA College Nationals..they will take 40-50 at tryouts..that way they have the best to choose from when injuries hit, or athletes don't make grades. Very smart practice! Good Luck to your daughter, it is a very exciting adventure!

True story. I know teams who's goal it is to take absolutely the most kids as possible (budget willing) as they can. You can only compete with 20 at Nationals which is what, 11 months after tryouts in May? So much can happen between May and April. The schools like a larger group of cheerleaders on the sideline at games and it allows for cheerleaders to prove themselves to make mat for Nationals. Selecting 40+ is ideal if budgets can handle it.

My college depended on the case:

Coach would allow the following scenarios to cheer in Daytona:
Transfers from other schools

Coach would NOT allow the following scenarios to cheer in Daytona:
You quit and wanted to come back
You got kicked off due to grades or other issues
Decided to take a semester off

Rudags, that is the same way the schools my kids have gone to did. Exactly like that. That's why I was confused as to why TVCC couldn't do it...wondering if it was a new rule or just the decision of a new playa in the decision making process. It looks like it's the new playa situation.
Thanks, all, for all of the wonderful posts! (my smilies seem to have disappeared poo) :)

It's not an eligibility rule with Varsity, but a lot of schools are like that.. They wouldn't bring someone onto the team mid-season because it's not really fair to the people who have been working all year..

Point being.. some coaches/schools allow it with no problem, some don't.. It just depends

Would never happen at Clemson. You have to make the team in April the year before you compete in order to be eligible to make mat. This rule changed a few years ago. Also, you must be enrolled and attending Clemson University all year, and not attending the local technical college.

Funny update on the school team my daughter is a veteran of (the one I began the thread question about).....They had a second tryout last Friday for new members, after saying no one new could come on. I have no idea why the new tryout? My daughter doesn't keep up with her old team.

Back