Is It Too Late To Start All Star?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Hi!

I'm 15 (going to be a sophomore in the fall), and I have been really interested in cheer for the last year, but I'm not sure if I could really succeed at all star. I think I would want to be a flyer (never actually tried stunting), because I'm pretty flexible, and I'm always pulling body positions at my house. I also don't really have any tumbling skills, besides a forward roll, handstand, cartwheel, and a really bad roundoff.

Do you think I should try tumbling classes or something? Or am I too old to start all star?
I have the same problem as you! I am turning 15 and have very little tumbling experience. The best thing I can do is a handstand. I am on the cheer
Hi!

I'm 15 (going to be a sophomore in the fall), and I have been really interested in cheer for the last year, but I'm not sure if I could really succeed at all star. I think I would want to be a flyer (never actually tried stunting), because I'm pretty flexible, and I'm always pulling body positions at my house. I also don't really have any tumbling skills, besides a forward roll, handstand, cartwheel, and a really bad roundoff.

Do you think I should try tumbling classes or something? Or am I too old to start all star?

I have the same problem. I am turning 15 soon and I am on my schools cheer team. I have little tumbling experience. I have taken classes before but the closet thing I got was a back handspring. I have a fear of getting hurt to and I'm scared of getting an injury but I don't know if I should cheer or not. I am 5'9 and I know I would be a base already.

I started at 18-19! I quickly worked my way up to level 3 within a year, i think being older motivates you and doesnt let you slack off like you would if your parents paid for it or whatever:D

Hi!

Hi Erin, I am the cheer mom who normally writes to the post, but I showed my cp your message and she wanted to respond instead, so I am turning this question over to my daughter: Ready, Answer CP!!!
CP says:
First, I want to start off by saying that you are never too old to do all star cheerleading, unless if you're in your 50s.(Mom:Really!!!) If you want to do all star cheerleading, then shoot for the stars! You don't always have to come to a team with skills because you will build a tower of skills if you take tumbling or stunting classes. Majority of gyms have tumbling and stunting classes or privates. Also, a lot of gyms have open gyms.
P.S: I'll see you at competitions. Bring it to the mat! I believe in you. You go girl!;):D:cheering:

Hi!

Tumbling classes, open gym, and maybe privates?

I started all star in my senior year so you should be good!

I say go for it! Like others have said, it's never too late to try and there's all sorts of different levels of cheerleading out there!! All star/rec programs often have all different levels to accommodate everyone's abilities!! You'll regret it if you don't at least give it a shot! :) Good luck!! And remember to have fun!!

you should do it! but don't expect to be a flyer. it takes a long time to learn how to control your body when doing level 2+ stunts.

pittsburgh poison is comin through your area, causin mass hysteria!

Hi!

I started cheer my freshman year on my high school jv team & now I'm a junior & on a level 4 all star team.. You can do anything you put your mind to with hard work!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I'm 5'6" and I weigh about 105 lbs.. I know I would be pretty tall for an all star flyer. They all seem to be around 5 feet tall..
While a lot of all star flyers are super short some of the best (and prettiest) are a lot taller than you so don't give up hope on being a flyer! (I am on a S5 team and one of my flyers is 5'4.5

Go for it, you will have a blast. You will have a bond with a new group of friends and get to travel to competitions. Its a lot of fun, worth the work you put into it. And if your flexible and your local gym needs a flyer, they will teach you the basic skills depending on the level, youll never know if you dont try

I started when I was 16, in grade 11. Cheer didn't exist at my schools before then, and all-star wasn't eve a blip on the radar. If you want to cheer, do it, but don't expect to be in a specific position. Go with where you will help your team best, whether it's topping, basing or backing. The more you can do, the more versatile and useful you are to your team
It's never to late to cheer! But as this wise one said, don't go in with a position in mind. One saying we have in our gym is: "There is no single star in All Star!" This is probably THE one sport where every single person on the team is of equal importance and it takes EVERY SINGLE PERSON DOING THEIR BEST to bring home the trophies!

Back