All-Star Is Prep A Demotion

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 16, 2014
Perspective - moving from Senior Level 1 to a Junior Prep Level 2, would you be insulted. That is the only level 2 option for a progressing athlete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If that is the only option that fits the athlete's ability level, why would you be insulted?

Not me another parent. Very upset it's a prep team vs a non-prep team. That's what I'm trying to figure out - why would prep be an insult? There is this perspective it's a lesser team, which I don't understand.

I am praying for a prep team at the appropriate level this year. The difference in cost between competitions regionally and competitions nationally is huge, and my CP has many years of cheer ahead of her if she chooses to stay in the sport. She doesn't need to go to Summit this year. I can see it might be frustrating to have bought a non-prep uniform last year if this isn't a new uniform year, though, since Prep is required to have a different uniform.

Having said that, I do think that there can be a different feel to prep, especially junior prep. Here, Junior often prep is one of the largest teams because it gets a lot of kids who did rec in elementary, tried out for middle school, and didn't make it come over. The goal tends to be less to make it onto a world's team and more to get onto a high school team. It's not a less serious team than the travel J2-but the goal for most of the kids is different.

Last edited:
Not me another parent. Very upset it's a prep team vs a non-prep team. That's what I'm trying to figure out - why would prep be an insult? There is this perspective it's a lesser team, which I don't understand.

I think it comes down to perception. Last year we had a Youth 1 Prep and a Junior 1 AS; there was one mom in particular who had a really big problem with just the word 'prep'. She saw it as lesser and no one could argue to explain it away.

I think prep teams are brilliant for kids new to cheer or new to All-Star. I wish it had been an option when cp first started at age 6...I could have gotten my feet wet a bit before immediately jumping into the expense & travel. However, I can see how the child might not perceive it positively after having done full-blown AS previously. I am sure it "feels" different & I know my cp LOVES the travel. *eye roll* Does this athlete get a choice? Level 1 AS vs Prep 2? If the gym gives an option, let the athlete decide & mom can just shut up about it! She's not on the mat, and if her kid chooses prep she should be happy about the cost savings

In retrospect, if the gym my daughter first joined had a prep team, I possibly would have taken that option and possibly convinced her to stick with her gymnastics.... I really do not see the AS Prep option as a demotion, but just that, an option! Tbh, it can be the best of both worlds, if an athlete does not have the time commitment that often comes with doing the full year AS cheer and worse, the expense to pay...
I kind of equate the Prep option the same as the level 6 teams the athletes or able to be part of cheer still, no demotion, but more AS Cheer-lite...jmo

Gyms can only do what they can do. This is the time of year parents are either going to be elated or disappointed/angry/hateful/spawn of the devil and all we can do is leave and get coffee and let them and time work through it. When given options, it's a choice to be insulted, grateful, accept or decline.

She does know the only thing different from AS level 2 and prep level 2 is that prep aren't allowed to do baskets, right?? She can still do the level 2 tumbling and level 2 stunts but just can't do baskets. Don't wanna sound rude but how is that a bad thing to go from level 1 to level 2 (prep)?

It does stink for those who want to do all the comps, but I certainly don't see it as a demotion. Especially if that is the only level 2 option. My CP did prep one season and that team was actually better than her full year team last year.

I think we can all agree that in the cheerleading world, athletes are pushed unusually harder when advancing from one level to another. Level 3 to level 4 for example. One level they're asking for standing multiple back handsprings to hit high range, then the next you have to do standing multiples to layout, whip through to layout, running punch front step out to layout. Those are some huge jumps in-between just 2 levels. I think the prep division is amazing for not only athletes new to that level, but also to those competing in that level previously! It gives the new athletes an opportunity to grow and progress while also staying competitive, and the seasoned athletes the ability to clean up and fix technique on skills they already have so the transition into the next level will be easier. Progression is absolute key in this industry and I think the prep division is one of the best things that could happen in this industry to keep kids pushing for new skills (and perfecting preexisting ones) while also staying competitive!

I wouldn't consider it a demotion. But it is different. After doing full-year as for so long, I'm afraid a prep season wouldn't be as exciting. Less comps and all. But surely not a demotion. My CP may even do a prep season this year.

Our prep level 2 starts at the same time as full season, practices once a week, and goes to all the same local comps as full season and then one select travel comp. This year it's NCA Dallas. I think it's the way gyms offer prep and how people handle it. I personally love coaching my prep 2, they were pretty successful last season and even stronger this season!

I wouldn't see it as a demotion, but my daughter wouldn't choose to do a prep team unless that was the only option to participate in cheer. In our area, prep teams practice less times a week and are usually filled with kids who either are true beginners to cheer or have too many other commitments to join an all star team that travels and practices 3 times a week. Ours are usually level 1 prep teams. So our prep teams compete at many fewer competitions and don't travel to any of the big comps. The season is very different for those teams.

Back