All-Star Is There A Block Button?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Meh...I don't hate you any more than I inherently hate 99.9% of the 7.53 billion people who live on this planet. I have never met you, and I can't think of any special reason to hate you. My responses to most posts are direct and without fluff. Sometimes they are wordy, but the athletes I coach tell me I get long-winded when teaching skills too. They are not meant to be lectures. The timing of this post would seem to coincide with my response to your thread about some random all star team winning World's. A prediction made in June, and then some follow up comment about team chemistry being the X-factor. To which I bluntly replied, that you can never consider team chemistry to be the X-factor. While I haven't won NHSCC, or even gotten close in my short time attending that particular event. Team chemistry is the end-all-be-all in virtually every sport/activity. I have had the maximum amount of success allowed by the TRUE x-factors at every stop on my coaching career (cheerleading, baseball, basketball, all of the above) because of my focus on chemistry and culture. See my response to @tojofasho below for more.

I think it's pretty clear who you're talking about, especially for those who cruise the high school threads. I've definitely seen the way you two interact, but if it makes you feel better I believe that user interacts with everybody that way, not just you. They do have an extensive cheerleading history and a lot of knowledge to offer; while they can be extremely condescending at times to a lot of different users, you may just feel personally more attacked because you're simply more active, and thus have more of a chance to interact with them. While it may seem annoying, I do see from their perspective - they've been doing this for years and seem to be very successful. So while it may seem like an attack, I think that they are genuinely trying to get across important information, even if their interpreted tone is negative. At the end of the day I don't think they're attacking you, I think they just have a high opinion of themselves and their skillset due to their extensive background. Don't take it too personally, and if they're really bothering you that much I would try reaching out to them in a private message instead of making an entire thread about it.

You are correct private message would have gotten answered much more quickly. I have no intentions of being condescending. I just don't pull any punches or add any fluff. I've been doing this for years, and I have a TON of success in building teams and changing cultures both in cheer and in healthcare. I haven't had a lot of success on the big stage (Ie: NHSCC), but I have only recently began taking teams there...and well, that just takes time. What I have done successfully, at every stop along the way, is turn programs full of bitterness, infighting, and parental complaints into well-oiled machines that compete and maximize THEIR potential. THEIR potential is largely dependent upon feeder programs, local training facilities, and administrative support for all the "fringe" extras. At my current school, we have tripled participation in the last six years. That's an additional forty kids who have something to do, a group to lean on, and high standards to live up to, instead of whatever "personal extracurriculars," they might otherwise choose.

I feel pretty confident I know who were discussing here and I want to say I have had the exact same problem @Sterling von Shimmer is having and it’s a big part of me not perusing the high school section anymore. Any response was always “You’re everything that’s wrong with the industry and you know nothing but I know everything and I’m the coach people should aspire to be.” And it made it basically impossible to have real conversations about cheerleading.

I don’t care what their background is the way they talk to users completely shuts down discourse and makes any meaningful conversations impossible.

It got so bad once I reached out to someone who knows him on here via DM to ask what I could have done to earn his derision because he was being so aggressive.

@ScottyB and I talk shop on FB occasionally, but to say we know each other outside of a happenstance bro-hug at NHSCC this year would be a stretch. I have no derision towards you. You're a nurse right? So am I, and I KNOW you'll get this analagy. I'm the bitter, old, calloused nurse sitting across the nurse's station from you that is dry as hell, has no time or energy for chit-chat, but wants to see you succeed without making all the mistakes I made at your age. I had an assistant director once who every one on the unit sort of despised. I loved her, because I knew if she was blasting my documentation in chart audits, that she was blasting everyone else's for the same thing.

Yes, I'm opinionated, direct, and dry as a bone. I'm the triage nurse that when people say, "it hurts when I do THIS" (bending their wrist backward at an awkward, inhuman angle), I say, "Well then stop friggin' doing that." I take strategies from coaching sports and leading in business, bring them to the activity of cheerleading, and have loads of success getting the best out of people. All coaches tend to coach the way they were coached. I hated my cheer coaches, and loved my sports coaches. If I coached my cheer teams the way I was coached, we would have drama, back-biting, bitterness, and failures. I implement new strategies, people say, "that's a good idea, I LOVE that." Then they go on coaching their team the way they always have. A year later, they're still having the same problem, for which I gave them the solution.

The last thing I want to add...this isn't just anecdotal. We track EVERYTHING in my programs. I believe in celebrating even the smallest success, and tracking everything gives us a means to do so, but just as importantly, I can provide evidence that the strategies are working. So, I do have a lot of confidence in what I am doing. It's not arrogance, trust me, I have no preconceived notion that this couldn't fall apart on me at the drop of a hat, but my level of confidence in these techniques grows as the numbers consistently reinforce that something is right.

If you still choose to ignore me, I wish you the best. If you do not, I will at least attempt to fluff up the responses a bit and try to appear more kind; but I make no promises that my natural, direct personality will not continue to shine through.

Best wishes

Back