Is This A Normal 'new To All Star Cheer' Experience

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

At my gym we have started a routine review at the first practice after every competition for each team with the athletes, parents, coaches, owner, and the score sheets. First we watch the video all together, then we go over every single score difficulty, execution, judges comments, along with the coach's comments about the performance. After that coaches open the floor up to parents and athletes if they have any questions about placements, comments, or scores. The process takes about 20 minutes out of practice time but with the way the sport is heading I feel like its very important everyone involved have some type of understanding of the score sheet, no major blow ups yet but its still very early in the season lol.

At my gym we have started a routine review at the first practice after every competition for each team with the athletes, parents, coaches, owner, and the score sheets. First we watch the video all together, then we go over every single score difficulty, execution, judges comments, along with the coach's comments about the performance. After that coaches open the floor up to parents and athletes if they have any questions about placements, comments, or scores. The process takes about 20 minutes out of practice time but with the way the sport is heading I feel like its very important everyone involved have some type of understanding of the score sheet, no major blow ups yet but its still very early in the season lol.

Honestly, I think this approach would greatly improve athlete technique and make for more realistic expectations on levels. Our kids went against a level 2 team the other week where their legs were straight and toes were pointed in their BWO's and jumps, their arms were straight and feet were together in their BHS's, their feet were together in the smoosh, their flyers had beautiful body positions and, their backs and bases were stable. Truth, the first thing I thought was, "those aren't truly level 2 athletes", when in reality, that's what I should hope all level 2 kids to look like. If parents and athletes aren't educated on the importance of technique and full level skills, then they will only focus on what the bare minimum is to get to the next level.

Honestly, I think this approach would greatly improve athlete technique and make for more realistic expectations on levels. Our kids went against a level 2 team the other week where their legs were straight and toes were pointed in their BWO's and jumps, their arms were straight and feet were together in their BHS's, their feet were together in the smoosh, their flyers had beautiful body positions and, their backs and bases were stable. Truth, the first thing I thought was, "those aren't truly level 2 athletes", when in reality, that's what I should hope all level 2 kids to look like. If parents and athletes aren't educated on the importance of technique and full level skills, then they will only focus on what the bare minimum is to get to the next level.
YES, YES, YES The sport is becoming extremely meticulous and I don't mind it. The difference between first and second will be tenths for us all season. I tell my kids every level 2 team will do the same tick-tock, and back handspring ours simply has to be better executed. Once they realized that our execution scores have been on a steady rise.

It's 1/7th but the deduction is the same. There is no penalty because it is 1/3 of the stunts compared to 1/7.

**Quietly waiting to let the dogs out**

There is when it means they don't complete a skill, which usually happens with a fall. 1/3 of your stunt groups omit a skill as opposed to 1:7. It makes a difference in both difficulty and execution. Or even when a stunt group has a bobble that doesn't result in a fall, but means they omit a skill. It can kill your scores with only 3 groups.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is when it means they don't complete a skill, which usually happens with a fall. 1/3 of your stunt groups omit a skill as opposed to 1:7. It makes a difference in both difficulty and execution. Or even when a stunt group has a bobble that doesn't result in a fall, but means they omit a skill. It can kill your scores with only 3 groups.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I see where you are going with this and correct.

**Quietly waiting to let the dogs out**

Wow that's awesome that you do that transparency and understanding is a great way to keep your customers happy.
With so much emphasis on technique the small things have definitely become the factor between first and second place. The years of just throw it are certainly behind us.

Wow that's awesome that you do that transparency and understanding is a great way to keep your customers happy.
With so much emphasis on technique the small things have definitely become the factor between first and second place. The years of just throw it are certainly behind us.

Our gym does what she is describing, except parents aren't included in the discussion. I think including them would cut down on a LOT of the problems with parents because most of the static I hear is because they just don't understand scoring or the score scurry and don't get why a team placed where they did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats what we need at my old gym! We would talk about timing, cleanness, etc. Except the parents wouldnt come out.

Our gym has started the video review and when we get into the new building (after Christmas break) they now have a dedicated area with seating and a TV for this very thing---it doesn't include the review part or the parent participation, but it's a step in the right direction. I really love the approach your gym is taking. I think it would cut down on a lot of the confusion.

I love this idea!! Especially involving the parents!!

You've given me some encouragement, and some things to think about. Ultimately I think that communication is the biggest issue. I feel like we are in competitions that are out of our league but perhaps the gym owner is thinking "David in a room of Goliaths" like you suggested. Maybe he is preparing them to be resilient competitors not intimidated by bigger gyms. Unfortunately he hasn't communicated that to the kids or the parents. I think that if we knew his goals and approach to comps, we would feel better about it. Thank you for giving me that perspective. (communication is a common discussion point among parents)

It is a very small gym and in some respects they placed people where they could. I suspect that some people are on teams that they were not ready for. But it's not gross negligence or blatant favoritism. I think the coaches really do care about the kids and the teams.

When my daughter first started, 12 years ago, her gym was in their 3rd year? And we used to go to comps and pray we were not last! We will never be in the running for Worlds final but now we can and have held our own there and Summit. Hang in there and figure out if your current gym is where u want to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CP's team has a mixture when it comes to how they place. It's the only All Star team in the area, although a new gym opened up this year near by we thought they were an all star teams but when we saw them at this last competition all their teams were registered as prep teams. After watching them clean up on awards due to no competition and CP's took last place CP told me she would rather come in last place at every competition then get first place wins be default because they had no competition in the prep division so this new prep gym isn't an option.

We go to a mixture of big and small competitions. I tell CP I don't care how they place, I look for improvement. Do I see improvement in her skills, does the team together look like they are improving? I know the scores are suggestive but I look and see if their is an improvement in their scores. Is their coach taking the judges notes and using them to improve the team or is she ignoring them thinking she knows best?? That is what I look at and as long as I keep seeing improvement then I'm willing to keep paying for her to do cheer.

CP's gym goes over the scores/judges comments with them after each comp but does it on the floor where the parents can't really hear. I wish they would talk to the parents too but at the end of the day, it's the coaches and the kids who have to make the improvements so there's nothing we can really do. It'd be nice to know though so I can at least see if they are improving in practice..

I know that the coach is taking notes from the judges though because CPs routine has changed for each competition. Last season we had started okay but it was at Cheersport where they really saw that their difficulty wasn't that high (they had hit both days but ultimately dropped from 2nd to 4th bc of it) - made changes and then ended the season with 3 first places and 1 second place so it apparently helped :)

Back