All-Star Is This Legal?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

IMHO S1 and J1 are the most heavily sandbagged divisions in cheer.

That is sad to hear. My CP's Senior 1 team started off with 100% of level 1 kids. I believe we currently have two or three level 2 kids on our team now due to injuries that have happened over the course of the season.

But I do know that our level 1 team has competed against other teams with level 4 and level 5 kids on it. My first thought is always, "Why in the world would a level 4 or level 5 kid even want to compete in level 1?"

It is a shame that some of these gyms do this. And then they have figure out plan B to get their teams all eligible for Summit. Sounds like it would be so much easier to do it correctly the first time around.

That is sad to hear. My CP's Senior 1 team started off with 100% of level 1 kids. I believe we currently have two or three level 2 kids on our team now due to injuries that have happened over the course of the season.

But I do know that our level 1 team has competed against other teams with level 4 and level 5 kids on it. My first thought is always, "Why in the world would a level 4 or level 5 kid even want to compete in level 1?"

It is a shame that some of these gyms do this. And then they have figure out plan B to get their teams all eligible for Summit. Sounds like it would be so much easier to do it correctly the first time around.

See, if they're D2 then it doesn't matter.

Our junior 1 (that I coach) started off as 100% level 1 too, then we had to add a level 2 athlete (but she doesn't have a back walkover, and currently has a mental block on her back handspring) when another athlete quit and we have had a different level 2 athlete fill in from time to time when she was needed.

It makes me sad to see my true level 1 kids, most of which were beginners at the start of the season, get beat out by teams with solid level 2 and 3 skills. But for being a true level 1, they've done a really great job and they've taken home 1st and 2nd all season long. Plus a summit bid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have often wonder how a coach can be even a little proud of winning level 1 with higher level athletes in them!

I have seen this more and more this season. It truly compromises the integrity of the sport, and is totally unethical. Saw it, firsthand, this weekend at Spirit Sports. Just so disappointing.
Yeah, there was one we know of in our division that we are pretty sure stacks their team.

I take that back. It was at a comp last weekend and at Cheersport.

Last edited:
As much as I dislike it and think it is wrong, until there are rules put in place, it will continue to happen and I can't blame the gyms for it anymore. I've been able to look at Summit from a different perspective since I don't have a child on a Summit team. There is so much pressure on gyms to take kids to Summit and since Varsity has their competitions set up to allow and almost encourage stacking and sandbagging, it is a losing battle for gyms to put "true level" teams on the floor. I see gyms who challenge their kids by putting them on a level they are ready for but aren't overqualified for losing at competitions and not getting Summit bids because other gyms have the majority of a team filled with athletes with skills 2 or 3 levels higher than they are competing. They are now in jeopardy of losing kids to the gym who sandbags but wins. It's a tough spot for the gym staff and I see it happening more each year.

As much as I dislike it and think it is wrong, until there are rules put in place, it will continue to happen and I can't blame the gyms for it anymore. I've been able to look at Summit from a different perspective since I don't have a child on a Summit team. There is so much pressure on gyms to take kids to Summit and since Varsity has their competitions set up to allow and almost encourage stacking and sandbagging, it is a losing battle for gyms to put "true level" teams on the floor. I see gyms who challenge their kids by putting them on a level they are ready for but aren't overqualified for losing at competitions and not getting Summit bids because other gyms have the majority of a team filled with athletes with skills 2 or 3 levels higher than they are competing. They are now in jeopardy of losing kids to the gym who sandbags but wins. It's a tough spot for the gym staff and I see it happening more each year.
Totally agree... and honestly I blame the parents perhaps more than the gyms. The parents who just can't wait to post on social media "World Champions" and just don't bother to include level etc. because face it... nobody except those in cheer really understand the difference and/or the fact that just about everything is a National Championship. Sadly I think that parents have, in large part, been the factor behind this push for attendance at Summit and this push to win at all costs. Sure the gym profits because being able to advertise "Summit champion" brings those who want that title (or even better... just call it "world champion" on facebook--- )to their program.

Last edited:
Totally agree... and honestly I blame the parents perhaps more than the gyms. The parents who just can't wait to post on social media "World Champions" and just don't bother to include level etc. because face it... nobody except those in cheer really understand the difference and/or the fact that just about everything is a National Championship. Sadly I think that parents have, in large part, been the factor behind this push for attendance at Summit and this push to win at all costs. Sure the gym profits because being able to advertise "Summit champion" brings those who want that title (or even better... just call it "world champion" on facebook--- to their program.)
At least at D1 Summit they limit 1 level crossovers, I wish all comps would follow this!

Back