All-Star It's Been A Couple Of Months... What Impacts Have You Seen Thus Far From The Age Grid Change?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 20, 2018
Hello!
I have a 10 year old daughter cheering at a new gym this season. First season JR5 from J3 last year. Due to the age grid adjustments (which I actually agree with in the long run, so bear with me on this) she is not age eligible for a SR team (thus driving our decision to change to a larger gym among other reasons of course). From what I understand, the age will likely adjust again for NEXT season as well, allowing her to remain on a JR team for an additional year.

My question is, this kind of changes the dynamic in both JR and SR levels. For US, moving to a large gym with a LOT of teams was the answer. She can move up in level as appropriate, not be rushed or stuck. Her skills can progress at a more reasonable rate over the next year (or 2!) to be able to contribute to a full level 5 team better. I am interested to read other people's experiences with the age grid change as well, especially now that teams have been (almost) set etc... This is just our 4th season of allstar cheer, so many scenarios fall into that "I don't know what I don't know" box.
I've also been the "it is what it is..." parent and everyone is in the same boat so suck it up and make the best of it mentality, so please don't bash me for asking. I'm genuinely interested in everyone's experience with the change.

For ME, I think it's going to make our Jr5 and J5 teams ridiculously good... and in that same vein, for us personally, my kid's going to have to step up and keep up because flight spots are going to be coveted as they get older. Clearly for selfish reasons I wish they had moved the age limit to 15 for JR... but that's very obviously ME and what would be awesome for just us pov.

What are you hearing the age grid will be next year?

I do agree that having the ages so that athletes can progress skill wise and be on a more age appropriate group is a good thing.

I think it is a good thing. Especially if this is going to be an Olympic sport it brings us more inline with the top tier age guidelines for Olympics versus Junior Olympics. For us it really doesn't bring a change as it is more rare to find bases and backspots moved up the way flyers are. I think it will make for stronger flyers and bases as in some cases you can be dealing with mature athlete bodies versus much younger and lighter. Developmentally socially for the younger athlete it puts them closer to their peer group as well.

I think kids should stay on their age appropriate teams for as long as they can . Potentially your kiddo is youth age so I wouldn't even worry, want my 10 year old on senior team. If the only reason for moving up is to go to worlds, I get the desire, but I would just hang tight on junior 5 and when she is old enough to age out of juniors think how strong she will be!

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I had a quick question about the age grids - are the grids for DII gyms the same as for DI gyms?

Back