All-Star J5 Returning To Worlds Next Year?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

What's the answer to the tiny 12 year old flyer problem (which I agree it is one - both from a base and a flyer perspective - if all flyers stop flying once they hit 100 pounds at 13, and all bases can only base tiny prepubescent 12 year olds - that's all you have trying out in college - kids who can't base grown women and girls who haven't flown in 5 years). Do you up the age requirement for a senior team to an age after most girls are fully grown, or perhaps some minimum flyer weight requirement? Or just let things go as they are and hope people relearn for college?

NO to the bold. I'm going to assume you were being sarcastic.

I'm not opposed to increasing the senior age. I still think 12 to 18 is a huge a age gap. I'd prefer 15-18.

But, if things do stay as they are, athletes better get used to re-learning stunting techniques to accommodate grown humans. If an athlete (especially a male) knows that they want to do college cheer, they need to train their bodies to be able to stunt at the college level with other college aged athletes.

J5 teams are running routines that are equal in skill level to senior 5 teams...and after watching worlds prelims & j5 divisions at summit, I would say many j5 teams putting out higher level routines. Having said that I believe that j5 SHOULD be at worlds...make it a true level 5 comp across the board.

NO to the bold. I'm going to assume you were being sarcastic.

I'm not opposed to increasing the senior age. I still think 12 to 18 is a huge a age gap. I'd prefer 15-18.

But, if things do stay as they are, athletes better get used to re-learning stunting techniques to accommodate grown humans. If an athlete (especially a male) knows that they want to do college cheer, they need to train their bodies to be able to stunt at the college level with other college aged athletes.

Yeah - I think age 15 would eliminate most of what the issue is.

J5 teams are running routines that are equal in skill level to senior 5 teams...and after watching worlds prelims & j5 divisions at summit, I would say many j5 teams putting out higher level routines. Having said that I believe that j5 SHOULD be at worlds...make it a true level 5 comp across the board.

THIS!! Agree 100%!

Another note about the hypothetical possibility of juniors being at Worlds:

Just because juniors are AT Worlds, doesn't mean they'd to be interacting with all of the typical senior Worlds division kids.

The event could be staged in such a way that juniors are on a certain day (Friday/Saturday) and others are Sat/Sunday/Monday.

So the hypothetical concern of juniors at the Block Party could be a non-issue.

Double post and slightly off topic but:

The "flyer weight requirement" is very slippery/dangerous slope.

For example, there are folks (like myself) who were NEVER above 90-100ish pounds in high school and most of college (short people problems!)

Having a weight requirement for seniors would have been the end of me flying! I was nowhere near 12o or anything that says "high school aged flyer weight" or whatever proposed weight minimum there would be. I was barely 90 pounds in high school. I would have been deemed to be too much of an "itty bitty" even though I wasn't 12. I was just small!

I see another interesting issue with Juniors at Worlds. No crossovers between J5 and Worlds teams. I know that some of the gyms rely on Worlds crossovers to keep their Junior 5 teams competitive while still allowing those 12/13/14 years old to be on a Worlds teams.

If we bring juniors to worlds and make the senior age 14/15-18, how would everyone feel about that?

I do think 12-18 (or even 10-18 for lover levels) is way too big of a gap. You have your 4th and 5th graders mixing with college freshman. Honestly if I was in college, I would get a bit annoyed with having 10 year olds running around at practice.

I don't think there should be an age requirement to be on a Worlds' team. If a team wants to stick a ten year old who probably doesn't have a full on a team, be my guest. They probably wouldn't do well.

Back