All-Star J5 Returning To Worlds Next Year?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

everyone complains that too many bids are given out every year.. so we wanna bring MORE divisions and bids? worlds is crazy enough

I'm hearing a lot of "what's the rush?" and "if we bring Juniors back people will push their kids!"
It's already happening people. The reason why you are considered "to big to fly" at 5ft 95lbs is because all of those 12 year olds that used to go to the junior team are now on coed worlds teams. Some would argue that it's killing college cheer because it's pretty hard to go from tiny 12 year olds to real size women when you age out. If Joe Cheerleader isn't seeking out women to work with he's in for a rude awakening.
Also, there were no juniors pole dancing when they used to go so please stop with all of that.
And a huge NO to splitting tiny/mini into their own "Summit". There are already gyms deciding to skip NCA because of the whole moving that group to two weeks later.
How about we limit the heck out of bids? No more than 20 bids per division (paid).
yes to this, i get suzy is 13 and weighs almost nothing is great because it might mean less chances of falling, but those guys are in for a rude awakening when they go from a girl who barely weighs 100lbs, to a college freshman who weighs 120. trying not to say college freshman weigh a certain amount, but ive never seen a girl on a college team anywhere close to as tiny as some of the girls who we now see in all star cheer.
however the guys who truly want to be a part of competitive college cheer (ucf, alabama, kentucky, navarro, louisville) probably are smart enough to know this and practice stunting outside the gym already.

It's still the peak of the age group.
That doesn't necessarily mean their division would be appropriate for Worlds. Mini 2 is the peak of the mini age group, but we wouldn't put them at Worlds either. The argument for J5's at Worlds is because they're competing routines AT THE SAME LEVEL as the current Worlds teams, and many are doing it better than most current Worlds teams. Youth 5's are not. You start talking about additing Y5's to Worlds, then why not add Senior and Junior Restricted 5's too. I would say no to that.

If we bring juniors to worlds and make the senior age 14/15-18, how would everyone feel about that?

I do think 12-18 (or even 10-18 for lover levels) is way too big of a gap. You have your 4th and 5th graders mixing with college freshman. Honestly if I was in college, I would get a bit annoyed with having 10 year olds running around at practice.
This was like my senior year this year! Because my gym was so small, we literally had 10-18yr olds on the team. Tbh some of the 12yr olds were less focused than the 10yr old but I think that's because she has a gymnastics background. I still think 10-18 is a huge age gap and I get that it's important for small gyms since I witnessed how hard it was to make a senior team but it's honestly annoying keeping everything PG for the little kids and having them get off task. 14-18 would be a lot better. My sister and I have 4yrs between us and we get along fine, and were in more similar places than we would be if she was 10 lol

The longer I coach, the less I buy the "10-12 year olds are just less focused and not ready for senior teams."

I do think the age grid is made that way so that the exceptional 10 year old has the opportunity to compete with older kids.

Not every 10 year old is ready.

Just like not every 12 year old is ready for a Worlds team.

I don't think it's fair to say that NO 10-12 year old is ready for that.

I have worked with HIGH SCHOOL aged girls who I have had to send running at school cheer practices because (at 15/16) they won't stop talking or goofing off.

Or high school aged kids who cry when given one small correction (when I am not even raising my voice.)

In contrast, I've had 5th graders in privates who are 100% focused the entire time and even when I tell them to stop and start over 3 times and they've fallen 6 times, don't shed one tear and take the correction.

You can't paint young kids with a broad brush.

Readiness depends on maturity. Not so much age.

Last edited:
The longer I coach, the less I buy the "10-12 year olds are just less focused and not ready for senior teams."

I do think the age grid is made that way so that the exceptional 10 year old has the opportunity to compete with older kids.

I have worked with HIGH SCHOOL aged girls who I have had to send running at school cheer practices because (at 15/16) they won't stop talking or goofing off.

Or high school aged kids who cry when given one small correction (when I am not even raising my voice.)

In contrast, I've had 5th graders in privates who are 100% focused the entire time and even when I tell them to stop and start over 3 times and they've fallen 6 times, don't shed one tear and take the correction.

Our coach makes it known from day 1- it does not matter how great your skills are or the fact you are worlds eligible. If your maturity level is still that of a 5yr old, you will not be on a worlds team in this gym. There is no crying, no goofing off and no talking back. She has kicked girls off the worlds team mid season due to this in the past. And the team always becomes stronger after that weak link is removed.

When I say 10-12 shouldn't be allowed on world's teams, it's not because I don't believe they're skill wise and focused enough to do it, their just too young. In what other situations would a 4/5th grader hang out with a high school senior/college freshman? At 10, my kid was not on social media, was still watching Disney channel and playing with her America girl dolls;high schoolers just aren't doing that.

So it is true!! J5 is going to worlds!![emoji15] that's exciting, I think...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh they better not be. Best decision IMO was getting rid of Juniors at worlds.

I honestly didn't understand why we brought this old thread back. It's the same rumor every year.

ETA: I can actually understand having a Junior division at ICU because there are probably so few Junior teams that A- It wouldn't add much on time and B- it's probably one of the few times they could compete with enough teams for a proper division.

Back