All-Star J5 Returning To Worlds Next Year?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My understanding from our ICU delegate is that at the AGM following worlds the General Assembly voted to include a Junior ICU Worlds. Provisionally the two divisions to be offered are levels 4.2 and 5. The age range voted was 12-16 years so it is not the same as the USASF age for Juniors.
That would be very difficult regarding the age range. Most, if not all top level JR teams have kids younger than 12.

Would you be able to keep track of placements throughout the season and use those to determine which junior team represents USA in ICU? Sort of how we have the Triple Crown, just with a much higher prize.

I feel like if they participate it would end up similar to the old juniors at worlds process and they would submit video and hopefully be ranked and the top team selected.

However if what @canz said is correct and the division is 12-16y that would be a major game changer compared to the US's 14 and under junior age grid.

I don't know about other gyms, but WE only had 2 crossovers from Colonels to Worlds teams, and one of those athletes stepped in mid-nationals season onto a Worlds team due to an injury. Since Colonels was large- yes they would still have a team.

Hug them tight and never let them go!

Same for CA Jags. They only had one crossover to a Worlds team and she was an alternate.

I didn't think too many of the top J5 teams had many if any crossovers to senior teams. Though crossovers wouldn't really matter for ICU. The age range differences will affect teams though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

My question is, how many of those killer j5 teams are out of gyms that also use the top talent from said junior teams for their senior teams? If there were no junior/senior crossovers, could the best junior teams (say top 3 from summit) still have a team?
Prodigy Moonlight had zero crossovers to their Worlds team. So the top 3 teams in Large Jr Coed at Summit 2016 had minimal crossovers, so yes, Colonels, Jags and Moonlight would all still have a team.

The crossover rule isn't a big issue for gyms that have large numbers of level 5 athletes, but for smaller gyms (that are bigger than the 125 d2 cutoff) it will be much harder. If a gym had a total of like 160 athletes and one j5 and one sr5 crossovers undoubtably will happen more than gyms like WE, CA etc.

I feel like if they participate it would end up similar to the old juniors at worlds process and they would submit video and hopefully be ranked and the top team selected.

However if what @canz said is correct and the division is 12-16y that would be a major game changer compared to the US's 14 and under junior age grid.

That would be very difficult regarding the age range. Most, if not all top level JR teams have kids younger than 12.
It would certainly make it difficult to pick an all star team in its entirety to be your national team, I am now just speculating, but perhaps that is to encourage teams to be comprised of athletes from more than one programme.

It would certainly make it difficult to pick an all star team in its entirety to be your national team, I am now just speculating, but perhaps that is to encourage teams to be comprised of athletes from more than one programme.
I guess gyms could try to form a team specific to this that also includes some senior worlds team athletes that are within the age range, not necessarily just J5 athletes. Not sure if gyms would do that though.

I guess gyms could try to form a team specific to this that also includes some senior worlds team athletes that are within the age range, not necessarily just J5 athletes. Not sure if gyms would do that though.

The teams in England for ICU are unified and I think practice nce and month so I could see that happening if England decide to send a junior team to ICU

I just don't see the US sending a junior team, especially not one hand-picked from athletes across the country. Team USA is already very specific about where/how they train and the time involved, and unless they brought a WHOLE allstar team that fit that age group, it just doesn't seem likely.

I just don't see the US sending a junior team, especially not one hand-picked from athletes across the country. Team USA is already very specific about where/how they train and the time involved, and unless they brought a WHOLE allstar team that fit that age group, it just doesn't seem likely.

Never mind the amount of school they would miss & if they are on a summit or worlds team they would have major issues missing practices so close to those events.

they could always just send the winner from the Junior High NCA competition as "team usa"

ICU confirms Level 4 or 5 for Junior Team and allows crossovers. See below for full details.

We hope all is great with you! As a follow up to the 2017 ICU Junior World Championships discussions and questions previously circulated (re: Level 4.2, Level 3 or Level 4 on the lower division) from the ICU General Assembly (minutes enclosed*), please note that the ICU Technical Committee and Governing Council has agreed to move forward with Advanced / Level 4 for the lower JWC division in 2017.

The reasons for the decision were as follows:
-Level 3 presents an odd progression gap between Elite/Level 5 and Level 4 or Level 4.2
-Level 4.2 is not necessarily needed (limitation on tumbling) because the ICU scoresheet already limits scoring on tumbling, and the “.2” could be confusing to many countries
-Level 4 was more understandable as a progression between Elite/Level 5 and JWC Advanced/Level 4 (v. Level 4.2)
(*2017 ICU AGM Minutes http://cheerunion.org.ismmedia.com/…/ICU_2016_General-Assem…)

With the JWC questions answered- and per the request of many National Cheer Federations -enclosed for planning purposes and your review, please find the following details for 2017:

I. 2017 ICU JWC and WC Rules (tentative until finalized 31 August 2016)
Note: Team Cheer Performance rules coming soon- Team Cheer Freestyle Pom, Hip Hop, High Kick (pending), ParaCheer Freestyle Pom, Pom Doubles and Hip Hop Doubles.
http://cheerunion.org.ismmedia.com/…/ICU_2017_WCC_Cheer-Rul…

II. 2017 ICU JWC and WC Tentative Schedule (tentative until finalized 31 August 2016)
http://cheerunion.org.ismmedia.com/…/ICU_2017_WCC_Schedule-…

III. 2017 ICU JWC and WC Schedule Overview
Wednesday 26 April 2017 (1 venue)
ICU Junior World Championships & Awards
ICU World Championship Opening Ceremonies
ICU Athlete Cultural Exchange & VIP Reception
Thursday 27 April 2017 (2 venues)
ICU World Championships Semi-Finals
ICU World Championships ParaCheer Finals & Awards
Friday 28 April 2017 (1 venue)
ICU World Championships Finals & Awards
ICU World Championships Closing Ceremonies
ICU Closing VIP Reception

IV. 2017 ICU JWC & WC Divisions
Note: Cross-overs are allowed, nations may enter 1 team per division* (*exception: All Girl and Coed Categories- countries must pick one of the levels within All Girl and within Coed). The 2017 divisions are scheduled to be as follows:
2017 ICU Junior World Championships (All divisions- ages 12-16 in the year of the competition)
1. Pom Doubles
2. Hip Hop Doubles
3. Team High Kick (Pending)
4. Team Hip Hop
5. Team Freestyle Pom
6. All Girl Advanced/L4 ..or
7. All Girl Elite/L5
8. Coed Advanced/L4 ..or
9 Coed Elite/L5
2017 ICU World Championships (All divisions - ages same as in 2016)
1. Pom Doubles
2. Hip Hop Doubles
3. Team High Kick (Pending)
4. Team ParaCheer Freestyle Pom
5. Team Hip Hop
6. Team Freestyle Pom
7. Team ParaCheer Advanced/L4
8. All Girl Elite/L5 ..or
9. All Girl Premier/L6
10. Coed Elite/L5 ..or
11. Coed Premier/L6

Once again, we very much look forward to a very successful 2017 ICU Junior World Cheerleading Championships and 2017 ICU World Cheerleading Championships - displaying truly the best Cheerleading in the world. At your absolute convenience, please review the enclosed details, more details to follow in coming months - and please email with any questions at any time.

Thank you again for all you do for the youth in your country and warmest regards from the ICU!

All the best and warmest personal regards!

Karl Olson

Back