Jobs in cheerleading?

• none

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no majors

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
Mar 28, 2012
Hey everyone!

I just graduated high school about two weeks ago and I'm just trying to think of some career choices and majors for college. I REALLY want to own my own cheer gym but I would love for my career to be based around cheer. Anyone know of any jobs or openings? Also, does anyone know of any cheerleading jobs that are involved with ESPN? Or worlds? And what majors would be good for a career in cheerleading? Sorry, so many questions but cheer is my passion! I feel like I'd be letting myself down if I wasn't involved in it somehow in my life.

Hey everyone!

I just graduated high school about two weeks ago and I'm just trying to think of some career choices and majors for college. I REALLY want to own my own cheer gym but I would love for my career to be based around cheer. Anyone know of any jobs or openings? Also, does anyone know of any cheerleading jobs that are involved with ESPN? Or worlds? And what majors would be good for a career in cheerleading? Sorry, so many questions but cheer is my passion! I feel like I'd be letting myself down if I wasn't involved in it somehow in my life.
There's always sports management, or if you're looking for the medical side of things there's exercise science, athletic training, etc. A business degree would be useful in running your own gym. Communications is a generic degree that will be helpful in basically any profession.. Take it from someone who has dabbled in almost every major before finally choosing.. you might not find the "one" right away, but do what makes you happy! It's the most important thing. I have friends who majored in art history and went to law school.. English and went to med school.. Honestly a lot of times your major will not even be relevant to what you end up doing later on in life.. (ie: Courtney majored in biology and now her life is running Cheer Extreme, and I'm sure many other gym owners have degrees in areas that are not directly relevant to cheerleading.. after all, "cheer management" is not a major..) Good luck to you!

Communications or business should be good choices for you. The more important thing will be what you do out of school. I.E. working at a gym while at school, interning in the industry (event companies, cheer camps, etc.) Like hejcheercoach said, there's no degree in cheerleading so it's more about your experience - but you need to get some sort of degree

Start networking now. The cheer world runs on experience (coaching experience, working for camp/competition companies, college cheer experience,etc.) and who you know (the more ppl you keep in touch with, the more potential job opportunities.... they may even be business partners some day).

As far as majors, I'd suggest going the business route or a kineseology route. Both of those fields would aid you in whatever cheer related job you want, but also allow for you to get a job in things outside of cheer as well if you decide to have a change of pace in 4 years. I have several friends that were comm majors, but the majority have had a difficult time finding jobs after their graduation, so I wouldn't recommend that major unless you are serious about fighting for a job in that field (assuming that you'll need to save up for purchasing a gym or need a full time job while coaching allstar during nights). Another option could always be an education major, as teaching works well with coaching allstar (free during summer, weekends and nights) until you can purchase your own gym, and you could always coach high school as well if desired.

Ultimately though, go with a major that you relatively enjoy and will finish. The most important thing regardless of major is obtaining that diploma!

You might want to major in something like Athletic Training, just so that you have that knowledge for if you do start a gym. (My cheer coach did! It comes in handy.) :)
Something to do with handling a business or accounting may help if you start your own gym too!

I would do a major in business with either a double major or minor in something like athletic training or sports leadership.

There are lots of other careers available other than gym owner:
Work for events with the goal of someday running your own.(Major Business, minor communications)
Event photography/videography
Uniform design/rep (Major business, minor fashion marketing)

Hey everyone!

If you are looking to open up a gym, I would say major in sports management. You'll get all the education on managing a sport (hence sports management). It is basically business but focused around sports. Now if you want to go into the broadcasting side in cheer I would say major in communications. Or if you want the possibility of both you can major in SM and minor in Comm. One of the girls I cheer with is taking that track. Good luck in your college endevors!

Hi! Something no one has mentioned yet is judging...another way to get your foot in the door and stay involved in the industry (and meet event producers). But hands down, experience and networking are key. Unfortunately I've been coaching/running a program 16 years and still have not found a way to do this full-time...I've always had to have at least a part-time position also for income. If you do have your own gym some day it is important to think of other ways to generate revenue besides just allstars (tumbling classes, choreography services, dance, preschool gymnastics, karate, etc.) and to find creative ways to use your gym during the day so it is making you money.

If it helps, my degree was in Communication, which has helped me to do our program's web site, postcards, fliers, etc. in-house and has also given me the opportunity to work as a contractor/freelancer to help supplement my coaching income. Business or marketing would not be a bad idea either, especially if you're not a science person.

I'm planning on majoring in Computer Science & minor in graphic design. I want to be a web designer and stay connected to the cheer world by designing websites for gyms or something like that :)

There have been some excellent suggestions already, especially the business or sports management courses and sports leadership or kinesiology; but there is one other thing that I would suggest if Marketing and PR. Adding those skills to your resume will allow you to present your gym in the best way possible.

Don't coach. There's no money in coaching so the time invested never ever equals the pay.
I suggest choreography and music mixing. It's still work but you're still involved with cheer and the time invested vs the payoff is much greater (IF you can deliver quality service).

Ciara:

Hey my name is Brian Elza, I am the Brand Manager for Athletic Championships for Varsity Brands, and am VP of Sales and Marketing for Athletic, Spirit Sports, WSF, Encore, Cheerlebrity, Spirit Fest, One Up, and Groove. While in college I started an All-Star Program called Kentucky Elite. I owned KE until 2006 when I sold my gym to Premier Athletics.

I only mention everything above to let you know that I have been involved in all aspects of cheerleading. My advice to someone who is looking for a career in the industry is to be very well rounded, and to try to get as much experience as possible. I started with UCA as a summer camp instructor while in college, and found that to be a great experience. The training that their staff has to go through is second to none, and you get to meet so many people in the industry.

Throughout the competition season I would recommend contacting event companies to see if there are any opportunities for you to work events in your area. I know with our company we typically hire 10-20 local college age cheerleaders or dancers to be staff at our events. We have met some great kids through this process, and some have ended up getting picked up for a number of our competitions each season.

As for which major you should choose? A lot of that depends on if you truly want to own a cheer gym, or just work in the industry. Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions. [email protected].

Good luck!

Back