Jobs In The Industry

Discussion in 'Discussing the Cheerleading Industry' started by stuntjumptumble, Apr 24, 2012.

1. stuntjumptumble

stuntjumptumble Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    So I'm in high school, and the college search has begun. At the moment I'm really at a loss from what I want to major in/pursue as my career. My dedication and passion for cheer really has me going back to careers in the cheerleading industry. I'm open to anyone involved; coaches, gym owners, uniform companies, varsity employees, cheer magazine employees, etc. How much do you make? Do you have a job on the side? What did you major in in college? I know this is very broad but I'm open to anything. Thank you! :)

2. Inspiration Leader

Inspiration Leader I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    My cheer coach owns her own gym, and in college she majored in athletic training and something to do with business I think! She's very successful and intelligent! She has a job on the side too, at a middle school tutoring kids (I believe). Hope this helped!:)

3. xomckenzieee

xomckenzieee I'm an announcer on CBS for Worlds (or should be)

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    kenziee_baker
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    If you want to make more money, you're better off looking into a career involving sports in general. I loved cheerleading but the industry is small in comparison to others. I'm going to school to be a lawyer but my focus is corporate sports law. So I'm still involved in what I love but able to branch out a lot more.

4. SmileCat

SmileCat Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach / Athlete
    Well I probably won't be much help but, I'm in the same boat as you! I'm going to be a senior & right now i'm looking to major in business management & hopefully open my own gym one day :)

• Shimmy Shimmy x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Eddie Gessford

Eddie Gessford They call me Susie

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Coming from someone who has built themselves up from scratch in the cheerleading music industry, I have to say just find what you're passionate about in cheerleading and pursue it full force. A degree related to sports could definitely be helpful. Just kind of stick to the direction you're leaning in with your degree. Example: If you'd like to work in a cheer magazine go to school for journalism, etc. If you work toward your goal and are passionate about what you're doing for a living you'll never look back. =)

6. TheTalkedAboutMinor

TheTalkedAboutMinor When all else fails.... I shimmy

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    Uniforms, choreo, judging, bow business, practice wear, music, event organizer

7. Jo Mallory

Jo Mallory Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    coachjomallory
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I'm a sophomore in college now and I plan on opening my own gym someday (fingers crossed) and I'm a double major now: Marketing and Sport Management. Sport Managment is a blast and it's definitely helped me a lot already processing how to run a sports facility. So if you can find a Sports Management program somewhere I highly recommend it.

8. CGAcheer

CGAcheer When all else fails.... I shimmy

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    I am a(n)...:
    Gym Owner
    I graduated with 2 majors and 2 classes shy of a third and other than having a degree probably contributing to being able to a loan. I use almost nothing of what I learned in class, and I've opened my own fairly successful gym 4.5 years ago. Honestly you'd probably get more out of working/apprenticing in whatever you want to do and you still have the option of going to whatever college is there if you want.

9. JessicaL

JessicaL I named my pet Sir Fierce-a-lot

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Industry Professional
    Verified Member:
    Jessica Legette
    USASF Core Safety Official
    My degree is in Recreation & Leisure and I actually have used some of what I learned in school! (Shocking, I know.) I've worked as an Allstar Program Director for a large gym as well as a Championships Director for a mid-sized event producer.

10. stuntjumptumble

stuntjumptumble Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I haven't heard of that major but it sounds awesome!

11. sphocott

sphocott Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    TisSarahBarah
    What's Recreation and Leisure??

12. JessicaL

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Industry Professional
    Verified Member:
    Jessica Legette
    LOL! Some schools refer to it as Tourism or Hospitality management. Education in the fields of parks & recreation, recreation providers (think YMCA's & Boys and Girls Clubs plus private providers like gymnastics gyms, golf courses, ski resorts, etc.), travel & tourism providers. Basically fun, enjoyable work.

13. sphocott

sphocott Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    TisSarahBarah
    Ohhhh okay! That's what I though, but I wasn't sure! Neat!

14. WHOA tiger

WHOA tiger Best Flyer.. on a parent team National Champion

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    taylereaston
    I am a(n)...:
    Industry Professional
    Verified Member:
    Tayler Easton
    Varsity All Star
    My degree is in Sports Management, although it was based more on the Recreation & Leisure platform, just like 4everSPIRITed. That was the best decision of my life. It was a great program, and almost everything I learned I could relate back to cheerleading. My professors knew I wanted a career in the industry, so all of my projects were cheerleading based. If this is something you are interested in, look into the PRTM degree at Clemson University (its a top 3 program nationally).

As a Varsity employee, I highly recommend working as camp staff to get your foot in the door. I did UCA staff for five years, and I wouldn't be where I am today without it. I would say most people that work for Varsity did some sort of camp staff before working full time for the company. Plus, working staff is SO. MUCH. FUN! I asked this same exact question on Pro X six or seven years ago, and after finding out the right path for me, I'm as happy as can be.

15. JessicaL

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Industry Professional
    Verified Member:
    Jessica Legette
    WHOA tiger is right. While a business degree certainly couldn't hurt, everything I learned in my program in school was in direct coorelation to what I needed to run a cheer gym and then to work for an EP. Getting your foot in the door working summer staff, or even event staff, is a must in this industry it seems.