Joining A New Squad?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 15, 2012
Hey everyone, so I cheer for a squad called Yorkshire Martyrs (UK), you might of heard of them? Anyway, I'm really interested in joining Aviator Allstars in Leeds, which isn't too far from me, do you think it's a good idea? & if so, what do I say to my current coach to tell her I'm leaving..? Please help me haha:)

We can all tell you on the boards which is "better" in our opinions, but in the end only you can truly answer the question of whether it is the right move for you or not. Some things to think about when making this decision are:
- Why are you thinking of leaving? (is the current gym not a good fit for you anymore? is the other gym a big gym vs. a small gym, so you will have better opportunities? Is the other gym more competitive? Are you unhappy at your current gym? Are you wanting to switch for the big gym name? Are you not connecting with your teammates? Are you unhappy with the current coaching? Would you be unhappy if you stayed for another year at the current gym? If so, why?)
-Is the grass going to be greener at the new gym? How so?
-Are you willing to make the time commitment to travel to the new gym vs. the current one (not sure how much of a distance change it will be for you, but something to consider)

Make a pros vs. cons list for staying/leaving to clear up what the benefits of moving to Aviator would be for you. If there are significant positives to moving that outweigh the cons, then I'd recommend perhaps going to an open gym or trying out a tumbling class at Aviator to get a feel for the atmosphere. Every gym is different, and some will be a better fit for you than others (again, you will have to decide if it is or not for yourself).

If you do decide to leave, hopefully you will understand why you are choosing to leave and can talk with your current coach about it in a kind, professional and mature manner. If they accept it, then great. You can still be friends and cheer each other on at competitions. If the coaches do not accept this loss and are childish about it, then you will know that you made the right decision to leave anyways.

Good Luck with your decision and I hope this helps you a bit. Regardless of which team you decide on for next season, I wish you will have a fantastic cheer year.

Pros and cons lost!!!! As hard as it is take the emotion out of it, make the list and base your decision on it.

Other than that - the previous post covered it

Good luck

im sorry ive not come across the program you are with at the moment (we only travel south once a year) but i do know av and the coaches there very well. it is a great program, before you make any decisions i would (as said above make a pros and cons list) but also consider if you can commit to what AV expect from their athletes, can you make all their competitions and commit to their level of training?

think about what you want out of next season, if you have any personal cheer goals and where will help you best grow as a cheerleader!!

It's always hard to say goodbye. If you do decide to leave the program you're at, make sure you talk to your coaches in person. Go there at a time when you know they're not busy and ask to speak with them. Tell them what a wonderful time you've had with them in the time you've been cheering there, *but that you feel you need to move on to somewhere bigger that can offer you more competitive teams*. Close with the fact that this is *nothing personal* and you will still look forward to seeing them at competitions.

I don't know exactly why you're leaving your gym, so the *starred* areas may need to be replaced with whatever your reasons are. If there is something wrong with the program, you should honestly let the coach know so that they have the hope of correcting the problem

Thankyou all for replying.

AV is a much bigger, competitive gym. I am also wanting to leave as I've been with my current squad almost a year & I still don't fit in, I still feel like the new person & some of them can be quite mean. I really wanna go as I know it will help me as a cheerleader, I'm so in confident with tumbling & I know AV can help me with that as they have a lot of tumbling classes on during the week. I will definitely make sure that I'm 101% sure I want to move, thanks everyone!x

Back