1. MomNBlue&Green

MomNBlue&Green Somewhere... some one.... is giving me a slow clap

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Does anyone know what steps are made by event producers to ensure that their judges are qualified (and fair) to be judging cheerleading competitions? I ask this because I was told today that someone I know was getting certified to judge and would be judging one of the biggest cheerleading competitions of the year. I KNOW this person is not qualified to judge any cheer competition much less one this big. She has never even been a competitive cheerleader or anything. In fact when asked to attend this very same competition last year her response was "I'm not paying $35 to watch a bunch of girls jump around on stage." which tells you just how much she knows about what it takes to be an all-star cheerleader. Just wondered if it is really that easy to become a judge...

2. KB_Legend

KB_Legend Jedi Cheerleading Master

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Long story short, yes it pretty much is that easy

3. CoachTamara

CoachTamara Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    tamaraerdes
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Are there any companies that are beginning the certification process for coaches? I thought I heard something about this at one point...

4. Evergreen

Evergreen Guest

Yes. Cheer Ltd has a certification course for judges. American Championships also has a required course for judging. Several other companies (Cheer Tech, Spirit Unlimited, Coastal) only hire those with a cheer background, and hold an annual judges meeting where rules and changes for the year are gone over.

5. Rudags

Rudags Two Time Defending Champion, Board Comedian

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    teamspiritfx
    I am a(n)...:
    Choreographer
    I took my team to a 2-day competition this year. Day 1 we competed Lib to Stretch High to High Tick Tock and a full up, and Day 2, we competed Stretch to Stretch high to high tick tock and 1.5up. Our score when down on Day 2, despite execution being similar both days (We dropped a full up Day 1, and a 1.5up on Day 2) When questioning the head judge on why no increase in score, I was told "Next time, you need to come up to the judges table and let us know that you had a major change in your stunt difficulty so I can tell the judges to make sure they look for it. I mean, they should notice it, but it doesnt hurt to make sure they look for it" Baffled. This was a Varsity event.

6. King

King Is all about that bass Staff Member

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    fierceboard
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Verified Member:
    King Harrison
    Georgia Tech Coach
    Because scoring is subjective (even with the rubric) that is very possible. The only way to fix it is all stunts have a difficulty value (like gymnastics). IDK if I like that idea or I dont.

7. Mrs.CheerExtreme

Mrs.CheerExtreme They call me Susie

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I hate to say that I think it really is that simple. My school just recently got new coaches and one of them was supposed to be a judge for a major competition company, when school began it turned out that this particular coach new less than you would have expected her to know considering she was a judge.
    But I don't think that all of the judges are like this. I mean how many of us can somewhat predict the outcome of the competition? If none of the judges really knew what they were doing, we wouldn't be able to do this.

8. kkinsley

kkinsley I text ACEDAD all the time

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    My level 3 team got a deduction for a handstand on thigh as the head judge said it was illegal at level 3 even though its in updated credentialing booklet and the rule says inversions are allowed below shoulder level, so I'm guessing its not that hard to be a judge

9. Mrs.CheerExtreme

Mrs.CheerExtreme They call me Susie

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Just because you're a judge once doesn't mean you will be a judge who goes on and judges thousands of competitions

10. NJcheerleading4ever

NJcheerleading4ever I shimmy daily

Shimmys Received:
    How DO you get your judging certification though?

Also, if you get certified by one competition company, does that mean that you can judge wherever, or only specifically for them?

11. Andre

Andre Batman at Justice League

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    andrejcarter
    I am a(n)...:
    USASF
    Verified Member:
    Andre Carter
    USASF Core Safety Official
    You can get the Rules Certification at the USASF Regional Meetings each summer. Other certifications are company/brand specific.

12. gymncheercoach

gymncheercoach I shimmy daily

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    gymncheercoach
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I've been trying to become a judge and not a single competition company has returned my emails and I was a gym owner and certified so I felt if I couldn't use my talents coaching right now I could at least use them judging. Does anyone know how to get in contact with these places to judge?

13. Cheer_Explosion_Coach

Cheer_Explosion_Coach Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    JimboGravois
    I am a(n)...:
    Gym Owner
    Hardest dang thing I've ever taken. It'll test your knowledge of the USASF level rules!

14. Andre

Andre Batman at Justice League

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    andrejcarter
    I am a(n)...:
    USASF
    Verified Member:
    Andre Carter
    USASF Core Safety Official
    Passing the test is easy compared to doing rules at a competition. Knowing and being able to quote them is one thing. Seeing something in the middle of 36 bodies flying around in a routine is another story.

15. Cheer_Explosion_Coach

Cheer_Explosion_Coach Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    JimboGravois
    I am a(n)...:
    Gym Owner
    yeah I was good until the video portion. When Les started throwing up these crazy transitions on the video screen I was like WAAAY outta my league. Mucho respect for the legality judges. However, I do not like failure so I WILL pass the test next year!