OT Jump Drills?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Dec 18, 2009
ok so i know of the normal jump drills like legs lifts, circles, and holds in straddles, kicks, and frog jumps but i'm looking for more that i can do at home.

idk what its called but i sit in a staddle as wide as i can go and i push on the ground with my hands infront of me and lift my legs up 40 or more times each so like this
\ x x /
\ __ / but more wide out
these dont have a name in our gym maybe they are called leg lifts but in our gyms for leg lifts we lay on the ground and lift our legs up and stuff like that

hoped i helped

Debbie Loves tumbling site.. fortheloveoftumbling.com i think it is.. has a lot of great exercises for jumps, and strengthening all of our core and leg muscles for jumps!

It might be kinda difficult to do jumps at home, but for conditioning at my school we do five toe touches, then four, three, two, and the last one has to be the best one.. We usually do those at the beginning and sometimes at the end. It helps get your legs up because having to make the last one the best!

The other day at practice we did these drills where you sit in your straddle and then do your jump but sitting on the ground? Idk if that makes any sense at all but you do like the arm movements and then on the count you would normally hit your jump you lift both of your legs.. it was to help us see exactly where our arm placement should be and how to roll our hips to get an overextended toe touch.
Hopefully that makes sense? haha

The other day at practice we did these drills where you sit in your straddle and then do your jump but sitting on the ground? Idk if that makes any sense at all but you do like the arm movements and then on the count you would normally hit your jump you lift both of your legs.. it was to help us see exactly where our arm placement should be and how to roll our hips to get an overextended toe touch.
Hopefully that makes sense? haha

Sitting toe touches work. Start in a ball, balanced on your butt then hit a touch touch position. Quickly pull back to the starting ball. Good core work out too. Kind of like what youre discussing...

jumps on pavement
not just like once.
but like once or twice a week.
do lots of reps. it really helps

My coach calls these "straddle snaps". It works your core strength and flexibility at the same time.
- Lay on the ground with arms in a "T"
- Lift your legs to the ceiling so your body is in an "L"
- Snap your toes to the ground behind your head
- When toes touch the ground, snap right back up to the "L"
*butt stays on the ground, so that your whole back is flat on the floor!
*if your toes can't touch the ground without bringing your butt up, just go as far as you can
Last year we did at least 50 of these every practice, and our jumps showed great improvement.

Good thing my gym is reallllly focusing on jumps this year. Hahaha

-Definitely jumping on hard floor. My gym just has foam block floor for now so we have to push our jumps since we don't get the extra spring (Also at HS cheer) so when we get to spring floor comps, our jumps are a lot higher.
-Kicks. Put your arms in a T and kick one leg up - Behind your arms like a toe touch or side.Bring it down slowly but controlled (Do 25 then switch legs) Then put your arms in a touch down and repeat only kicking in front of you.
-You can do this with a partner. Lay on the ground and hold your partners ankles. Pick your legs up so they are pointed toward the ceiling. Then snap into a toe touch - Kind of what was said above.
- Lay on the ground and pick your legs up to the ceiling then hit a toe touch and just let your legs hang. Your feet are like your weights so it stretches out your quads I believe.
- Then we do this every practice for every jump - Do jump on normal count. (So like clap 1, high v 2, cross 3, hit 4, down 5, hold 6 7 8). Then repeat that 5 times. Breath for 2 8-counts. Repeat 3 times. So you're doing 15 of each jump.
- Sometimes in between sets of the thing above, we will stretch all of our splits since we're really warm.

My coach calls these "straddle snaps". It works your core strength and flexibility at the same time.
- Lay on the ground with arms in a "T"
- Lift your legs to the ceiling so your body is in an "L"
- Snap your toes to the ground behind your head
- When toes touch the ground, snap right back up to the "L"
*butt stays on the ground, so that your whole back is flat on the floor!
*if your toes can't touch the ground without bringing your butt up, just go as far as you can
Last year we did at least 50 of these every practice, and our jumps showed great improvement.

thats what we do! i was just getting ready to type it.

A great drill that I have found works really well for me is I sit on the ground in a straddle and do a toe touch while sitting. You have to lift your legs up as if you were doing the jump in the air. Its hard and really works your hip flexers and core, which will give you the strength needed to get your legs up and hyper extended.

Back