All-Star Junior 5 At Worlds?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The teams stay together...off property. Parents can stay at the same place (some are already there as chaperones) or wherever they want.

Just curious, what is the official rule for on site chaperones? Can a quad of kids stay alone at all stars if a chaperone is in another room?

Just curious, what is the official rule for on site chaperones? Can a quad of kids stay alone at all stars if a chaperone is in another room?
I don't believe there are any official rules. CP has been to Worlds twice where the team stayed together on-site with a few chaperones who stayed in either a room with 3 other athletes or in their own rooms, but the gym arranged for that. Last year we had no requirement to stay together or on site and it was up to the athlete's parent to either watch their own child or arrange for another parent to do so.

At Worlds (on-site at least) I believe it is 1 adult (coach or other over 21 years old) per 9 athletes. And I know we had rooms with only athletes the year CP's team was at All-star. That said...our most recent gym has required a much higher chaperone count and last year there was a chaperone for each condo "room" of athletes who stayed there with them (off site 3 bdm condos).

I think the number of chaperones is important, but it's more important if the chaperones are doing their job. I've been to competitions where the athletes are running wild because mom/dad/coach(omg) are at the bar or at the clubs. Competitions are stressful and I can't blame the adults for wanting to get away. But at the same time, they have a bunch of kids to watch out for. And older kids, who would usually need less supervision, might need more supervision because they know how to party.

Overall, I think that Worlds is going to be crazy. It's a bunch of older kids with a lot of hype and some tired adults who are ready to go home. Keep the juniors out of it. Chances are, if they have a double full when they're 10, they love cheer enough to continue cheering until they're 12. And if they don't love cheer that much, than they probably won't care about going to worlds anyways.

One thing to note about chaperones, is that some schools/clubs have policies that chaperones can't stay in the same room as an athlete/student. It helps protect both parties in regards to accusations of abuse. The only exception is if it's a parent of a child, and there are no other children in the room (other families), or 2 Mom's shared with their 2 daughters, etc. Basically, a kids can't stay with a non parent adult, if that makes sense.

Straight from the Worlds Information Guide:

How many chaperones do we need?

One gym owner/coach or responsible adult (21 years of age or older) for every nine participants is required.

One thing to note about chaperones, is that some schools/clubs have policies that chaperones can't stay in the same room as an athlete/student. It helps protect both parties in regards to accusations of abuse. The only exception is if it's a parent of a child, and there are no other children in the room (other families), or 2 Mom's shared with their 2 daughters, etc. Basically, a kids can't stay with a non parent adult, if that makes sense.
I've never seen anything like this for any event related to all star, but it would be gym dependent.

I've never seen anything like this for any event related to all star, but it would be gym dependent.

I am thinking of more from a school perspective in my case, but I wouldn't be surprised if some gyms are/start doing this. Unfortunately, this is where we're at today

At normal competition, lets say age range is 5-25....the ratio of 5-12 vs. 13-25 however would hypothetically be something like 70:30? 60:40? I cant speak for exact stats but I would think with tiny, mini, youth, + junior, the percentage of younger athletes would be equal or most likely higher than the number of senior athletes.
Worlds ratio of these age groups would be MUCH different though. Factor in all of the international teams that often times consist of college aged & beyond, and it could be age 12/13 - 45+. Even if you add 20 junior teams into the stats, elementary/middle schoolers would be the extreme minority compared to the percentage of athletes age 15+ . Factor in how much of the demographic is technically legally above drinking age to begin with (whether in the US or in their own country) & the number of unsupervised teenagers in large groups let loose over Mouseland and it can equate to situations....not that it doesnt happen elsewhere, but food for thought.
Gotta factor in age ratios, not just age ranges when looking into the atmosphere.

Also in regards to the atmosphere, lets just say that what is normal for one culture may be vastly different for others....

I guess I can only speak for my open team, but the ones who are 18 and up (and DEFINITELY drinking age and up) are not part of the problem at the block party or party at the resort. I've seen senior aged athletes at those parties, I've never seen any of my teammates above the age of maybe 19 there. We're too old to be dealing with that high school drama. We either head to downtown Disney or sit by the pool with pizza and a six pack (or Epcot lol). This year the old folks on our team are getting a house to avoid all that nonsense (and save $$).

I am thinking of more from a school perspective in my case, but I wouldn't be surprised if some gyms are/start doing this. Unfortunately, this is where we're at today
Yeah but this is a Worlds thread, not school. The USASF/Varsity rules (depending on if you are at Disney for Worlds or HS nationals) are fairly consistent. I have seen many concientious gyms do the right thing and plan proper supervision for kids. I have also seen many gyms with minimal supervision and the coaches/gym owners are out partying all weekend. Historically Varsity and USAF have always left that as a gym/school decision.

@mamabear I forget to add to your question that techically a quad of kids has to stay alone (in a room at least), since the All Star Resort policy is no more than 4 to a room. No pull-out beds or fold-aways.

Not arguing that worlds have set rules in place. I think smart gyms will have their own in place too to ensure the safety of their athletes and coaches/chaperones. Obviously, not all do, but many could take a page from other organizations that are already thinking ahead in these terms to cover their own backsides.

I am sure USASF makes sure the 1:9 ratio is upheld on paper. Based on the 3 years I have been on Disney property that is the only time the "rule" is enforced.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I think the number of chaperones is important, but it's more important if the chaperones are doing their job. I've been to competitions where the athletes are running wild because mom/dad/coach(omg) are at the bar or at the clubs. Competitions are stressful and I can't blame the adults for wanting to get away. But at the same time, they have a bunch of kids to watch out for. And older kids, who would usually need less supervision, might need more supervision because they know how to party.

Overall, I think that Worlds is going to be crazy. It's a bunch of older kids with a lot of hype and some tired adults who are ready to go home. Keep the juniors out of it. Chances are, if they have a double full when they're 10, they love cheer enough to continue cheering until they're 12. And if they don't love cheer that much, than they probably won't care about going to worlds anyways.

See also: when the "chaperone" is an aged-out cheerleader who was probably just on the team last season. That person is not likely to actually be supervising anyone.

Back