All-Star Junior Level 5...what's Happened?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think it'd be better if they had more time to develop skills too but if they raised the age limit, I worry bout those girls getting overly stressed about their weight. I mean, girls that age (13, 14) start getting hips n breasts n stuff (which is totally normal!) but they do gain weight.

I'm just sayin coz my sister fly's on her all-girl HS comp squad and she is the teeniest one. She's 4'10" and not even 90 lbs and she's been obsessed with her weight. Mom's afraid she's gonna develop an eating disorder! We keep telling her she is super skinny & that's just muscle weight and not to worry so much but she can't help it. It makes me wonder bout the top level all-stars on co-ed international teams, yknow the pressure they must feel to stay skinny. :(
Thats a heavy burden I'm sure, you're doing an amazing thing by talking to her and keeping her comfortable. As her sister i'm sure it makes her feel a little better at least.

I feel like a broken record saying this but I cannot express enough how much I would rather see a 'heavier' (heavier than your typical fetus flyer) older flyer who was tight, sharp and clean than a 10lb skinny minny who is flopping all over the place and flys 'softly'.
Perfect Example? Erica from CEA. She's super strong and isn't a little baby flyer. She had amazing body control. In my opinion, thats exactly what a flyer should look like!

I know gyms who have added more worlds teams to their programs have taken kids from their junior and youth 5's. I used to love watching Rays Green and Teal, but now that theres added teams like peach and slate and large coed and others they have to pull the talent from somewhere:/

I'm actually OK with J5/JCo5 athletes not being publicly discussed. Those that care still watch the amazing up-and-comers on The J5 at our gym and when an athlete earns his/her spot on the team, they're on it until they age off or stop cheering.

I mentioned the "Cheerlebrities" because they are part of the nature of the beast we call cheer today. But, my original question asks; "What happened to the days when the lively, healthy debates were about J5 too?" The teams exist, but let's be honest, when was the last time a thread was dedicated to the throwdown of J5s in Dallas. ECE had an extraordinary team that was discussed, but what of the others?

Just as an aside... Is it true Junior Mafia no longer exists? If so, why?

Thats a heavy burden I'm sure, you're doing an amazing thing by talking to her and keeping her comfortable. As her sister i'm sure it makes her feel a little better at least.
Tbh, I don't think I was a great big sister when we were growing up :oops: She was a lot younger and most of the time I acted like she was annoying & a pest. I got along better with my other sisters.

But now I'm assistant coaching for her JV squad and I guess its given me more time to talk n get to know her. Now I feel like I worry bout her like a mom! She hates that part :rolleyes:

We've gotten a LOT closer, but at the same time its not easy coaching a family member. Sometimes she blows me off when I'm tryin to give her good advice & that sets me off! I don't even know if she absorbs anything I'm telling her bout the weight thing. But whatev, at least its out there...

Mostly tho, yeah its pretty cool. :cheering: I'm glad I'm more a part of her life now :)

Perfect Example? Erica from CEA. She's super strong and isn't a little baby flyer. She had amazing body control. In my opinion, thats exactly what a flyer should look like!
Couldn't agree more! Another name that pops into mind is Kiara Nowlin. Even though she wasn't the flyer for the main sequence she isn't a fetus flyer and did great in the air.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

That for once is something, I like with German cheerleading. Minimum age for seniors is 16. Though you have to take into consideration that we compete on our teams until we're in our mid twenties oder thirties. ;)

Changing the age would probably kill off every small gym that's in a Worlds division. If everyone was the same size as CEA, Cheer Athletics, Cali, and Stingrays, then yes, go for it. But if a smaller gym is putting together a competitive level 5 time, chances are there will be some younger (12-13 year olds) that are true level 5 athletes that need a level appropriate team.

ImageUploadedByFierce Board1376321649.244250.jpg

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Back