College Just Awful

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I did a bit of research, as my CP is a senior this year so college is constantly on our minds. I was not able to find a single situation where this has happened. This article lists the reasons a college would rescind acceptance, and almost everything else I read stated the same thing.

Can a College Revoke My Student’s Admission? | College Parents of America

When my college had a freshman class that was too big, they housed them in hotels off campus. To find out so late in the summer that they made a mistake seems very suspicious.

When my college had a freshman class that was too big, they housed them in hotels off campus. To find out so late in the summer that they made a mistake seems very suspicious.

same, except my school moved the upperclassmen to hotels to free up more on campus housing for the freshmen. this whole thing seems way too shady for me. did they give her a legitimate reason other than too many students? did her grades drop after she was accepted and maybe the family is embarrassed to say that? i have never, ever heard of this happening. the school either finds more housing or gives freshmen the opportunity to live off campus (making an exception where that usually is against policy) until the situation is resolved. they don't turn down money if they don't have to. isn't move in like this week, as well? you don't wait until this late in the summer to tell a student they cannot attend.

This sounds suspicious.

I know the University of South Carolina is a public school but when I was in hs they ran out of housing and had kids living in hotels.

Ditto for Benedict college, a private school in Columbia

College of Charleston didn't have enough housing so they turned doubles into triples and gave the people that agreed to live in them a reduction in housing.

My point is, it sounds off because I know they they could have made a way if they wanted to make a way.

To wait a week before school starts to inform her is just cruel. Apparently it's their right since it's a private school....but it's cruel none the less

Have they tried searching for other people this may have happened to

Mine is at a private school and I've not encountered this in 3 years. They want your money. They might have you switch classes around if there just isn't space in the classroom, but ditching a paying student altogether? They have a new football stadium to pay for!
She should have been practicing with the team over the summer and made at least 1 tuition payment by now. Having done neither of those is a red flag to me. We paid tuition August 1.
I think the family is keeping some facts to themselves but I could absolutely be wrong.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Whatever the reason, I wish her the best. Semesters go by quickly, I hope she keeps her chin up and her focus strong.

Sorry to hear this happened to this young person, but I hate to tell you, this situation sound so out of the normal. I worked many, many years at both Public and Private colleges and the way these schools accept students were based on-
1st- how many students graduated, attrition rates of students already in the school and how many students they can accommodate,

2nd- Each Dept. basically, accept/admit students on the same factors mentioned above and how many students they have room for within their Dept. or what students list as what they hope to major in, if admitted into the college and

3rd, they look at the number of staff members returning to accommodate these students...
Last, The students who are on the bubble based on certain factors will be wait listed.

Normally, once a student is admitted into a college this is a contract and if the student submit the enrollment fee and accept this contract of admission, the college is obligated to inform the student with enough time (30 days or less) if there is a change in their admission status... This last step rarely ever happens on the college side but most of the time it is the student who changed their mind...
I know what do happen when the college change the status of admission, most of the time is when the college is not able to provide On-campus housing and that is when there is a problem for Out-of-State students...

Side-note: Does Baylor offer on-line courses, I know most schools offer this and I am quite surprise that Baylor just rescinded the admission after admitting this young person... Most of the time, the school will offer assistance to mediate the problem...

Serious note: I hate to think that your friend is leaving something out, but because colleges are losing students to online colleges, I highly doubt they will want to turn away paying customers and hurt their good reputation in the process. Just saying

Last edited:
I know she has excellent grades. From what they have said it was soley because they accepted too many students. Just a sad situation.

This sounds suspicious.

I know the University of South Carolina is a public school but when I was in hs they ran out of housing and had kids living in hotels.

Ditto for Benedict college, a private school in Columbia

College of Charleston didn't have enough housing so they turned doubles into triples and gave the people that agreed to live in them a reduction in housing.

My point is, it sounds off because I know they they could have made a way if they wanted to make a way.

To wait a week before school starts to inform her is just cruel. Apparently it's their right since it's a private school....but it's cruel none the less

Have they tried searching for other people this may have happened to

YES. My undergrad alma mater (larger school) had a housing deficit in 2013 that led to kids sleeping in LOUNGES for 2 weeks before they got housing. They did not rescind admission because THEY ALREADY HAD THE STUDENT MONEY/HOUSING DEPOSITS/etc. There was no way they were turning it down, even if that meant they had to put kids up in a lounge until they shuffled some things around to free up more beds/rooms (i.e. giving RAs roommates when they were originally supposed to be singles, etc.)

I know my freshman year more students accepted admission/ applied for housing than anticipated. The school took an older dorm that was technically the biggest per 2 people ( but not air conditioned and not close to anything but engineering) and turned every room there into a triple.

I keep researching this and I can't find any similar stories of it happening anywhere, particularly Baylor. I browsed their website and there's no mention of taking back offers due to size or anything. I can't imagine something like this wouldn't have been reported because it's crazy.

If it is true the way it has been described - then this is beyond irresponsible on the school's part (private or not) and I would shout it from whatever media outlet & social media - would let me.

But seems like there is something potentially missing in the story here... I just dropped off my daughter two days ago and housing has been in the works for months now.

I agree this sounds suspicious.

I HAVE heard of the following, however. People applying to a school during regular admissions (instead of early admission), and participating in cheer tryouts which were planned before acceptance letters were mailed. Then after they make the team, finding out the didn't actually get accepted in to the school. Some have chosen to attend a local Tech school bridge program (so they can still cheer for the University) and some have elected to attend a different school entirely.

That's potentiality what I'm thinking might have happened here. Or, since it's so late in the game, it could definitely have been a financial thing. There are hard-fast deadlines and if something is missed you can get dropped from your classes.

Back