Kentucky Cheer Dismisses 4 Coaches Following Hazing Investigation

Discussion in 'College Cheerleading, NCATA, & STUNT' started by oncecoolcoachnowmom, May 18, 2020.

1. Sterling von Shimmer

Sterling von Shimmer Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    That’s the beauty of it: if literally no one speaks to you or associates with you, there is no wrongdoing. You can’t punish people for literally not doing anything to you.

Yeah it would obviously be retaliation, but if mom/daughter try and bring such an accusation to the school, the admin’s first question is going to be, “Ok so what did they do that was retaliative?”

And they’re going to look really stupid if their only answer is, “Well, nothing.“ It’s going to be very hard to prove and punish.

2. oncecoolcoachnowmom

oncecoolcoachnowmom Bestest Newbie '14

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach

High school girls are really good at this.

Girl to me: They're bullying me.
    Bullies: We didn't even do anything.
    Girl to me: Yes they did.
    Bullies: All we did was delete her from our group chat and block her on IG.

Looks like nothing. Gets desired affect from Girl. Bullying win.

3. GreatWhite92

GreatWhite92 Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    I feel for the girl. I can bet wherever she ends up at, nobody is going to be inviting her to stuff outside of cheer. Who invites someone to a party that might snitch on you? Whether that is her mother’s fault or her own, who knows.

I think as a coach, you have to set expectations to the team that everyone deserves respect as a teammate and coaches shouldn’t put up with any shenanigans that puts the team at risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Shimmy Shimmy x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Sterling von Shimmer

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    But even those two tiny things constitute doing something. I’m talking about giving her not one thing to work with. I’d support doing such a thing in this case if only so the athletes could protect themselves. Because even if they never do anything wrong to her or anyone, people like this will take something like eye contact from a teammate and make an issue of it.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    • Shimmy Shimmy x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  5. Sterling von Shimmer

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Haven’t other, better athletes been booted because of their moms in the past? At least in AS?

I wonder if they could kick her off for this alone. Or if there’s precedent for that. Because if it were me, I would not feel comfortable working with this mom. Not because I’d be scared of any shady practices coming to light, but because she seems very litigious and I just wouldn’t want to deal with that. That would have to count for something, right? “Hostile working conditions” or something?

6. Sterling von Shimmer

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I just thought: could they appeal? Isn’t it possible to argue that these antics were “common practice” among sports teams (because I’m positive they are) and the cheer team is being unjustly targeted?

ETA: I’m sure similar behavior from other sports teams (football, basketball) was reported to the school without a coach being fired at some point during Jomo’s run. I’m positive.

7. SMD

SMD I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  8. Kentucky Girl

Kentucky Girl I nugget in the back

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Fan
    So does this mean the end of the Kentucky cheerleading dynasty?

9. coacha

coacha I named my pet Sir Fierce-a-lot

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    People, this is why there are whistleblower laws. You don't want the crazy, disgruntled parent to get you fired? Don't allow illegal and/or hazing things to happen on your watch. There was illegal drinking and nudity happening at a team sponsored retreat. What was UK supposed to do once it was brought to their attention? Shrug and say the mom is just mad her kid didn't make the team? THAT would have been a PR nightmare.

Now as for kids being kids....I am old now, but once upon a time I was an incoming freshman on a no-name college cheer team. I was already in awe and worried about fitting in. Had they been doing topless and pantless basket tosses at a team building event, I would have been mortified, but also, worried that I needed to join in to fit in. That makes it wrong, especially since it is happening at what I assume is a mandatory team building retreat. If the team members have to be there, then what happens has to be appropriate.

And while we seem to forget this minor detail when discussing college students, the legal drinking age is still 21. That means all non-seniors on that team are illegally drinking. Again, not something you can allow to happen at a mandatory team event.

I don't care that they are college students and it supposedly happens all the time. I don't care that the mom was pissed that her kid didn't make the right team. You absolutely have to remember that as a coach you are the responsible party to what those kids are doing. (And yes, college students are still kids...) Can you imagine the uproar if a video had gotten out of the tosses?

There was illegal drinking and nudity at a team sponsored event. If you are coaches of that team, the buck stops there.

10. catlady

catlady Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    It was handled appropriately. The only thing I'll dispute is these aren't "kids," they are adults when it comes to law. Parents better start telling their adult aged college students these "traditions, college life antics and hazing" that went on and were often overlooked in our day, are now taken seriously and ending up on permanent records no matter who is supposed to be watching. The amount of chaperoned "kids" that get adult third degree felony charges in FL for showing a fake ID is no joke.

11. coacha

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    This is true.

My point about the students being “kids” is as the coach, it is our job to be the stick-in-the-mud adult in the situation. Don’t let it happen at team sanctioned events or be prepared to lose your job.

12. coacha

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    The retreat was a team sanctioned event. There is no way the NCAA would allow this kind of stuff to happen at an official event for any sport without sanctions on the coaches or school as a whole.

Perhaps a reason why cheer needs to come under NCAA’s oversight.

13. SMD

SMD I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I’m not dismissing the underaged drinking, nor the nudity. Yes coaches need to be responsible. Absolutely. But the motivation for this by the parent is so egregious. And The plot thickens, If reports are to be believed the mother has filed a 28 million dollar lawsuit against UK for her daughter’s emotional trauma. Interesting the daughter does not look at all traumatized in Pics posted by the mom of her time at UK. The incidents happened in the summer, she wasn’t traumatized then, but now? And after her tryout at Clemson where she supposedly made the team.? Delving further there is aLegal court decision where she filed a lawsuit against a school district in WV. Grievances were filed by both her and complainant for harassment, hostile work environment etc. It states, at one point she filed 38 grievances against the HS Principal, when asked by the principal why are you doing this she replied “so you will resign “. She was looking to be hired for his job. She was an assistant VP. There are complaints that she went after the complainants child. This is not fabricated. There are no words to describe some one like this.

14. chardaeeeee

chardaeeeee I nugget in the back

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    .....28 million over your kid being moved to a different team. SICK

What mom would keep their kid on a team MONTHS after the incident? If she was experiencing emotional trauma it should have been brought to light long before 3 months ago. Their UK post (even within the last 24 hours) makes it seem like they BLEED blue. I wonder if anyone saw it coming.

15. krystynakrez

krystynakrez CheeringWonka

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    krystynakrez
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Verified Member:
    Krystyna Krzeminski
    Runs CheeringWonka Twitter
    Not to be insensitive but... kids get moved to different teams all the time. Susie isn't the first and won't be the last, and as an outsider looking in, wanting 28m for said "distress" is absolutely ridiculous.