Kentucky Cheer Dismisses 4 Coaches Following Hazing Investigation

Discussion in 'College Cheerleading, NCATA, & STUNT' started by oncecoolcoachnowmom, May 18, 2020.

1. UCFKnights07

UCFKnights07 Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    This. Their social media posts make it seem like nothing was amiss and they were still thrilled to be at UK..... I just think there is more to this that wasnt included in the report. Most current and former athletes are coming out saying they were and never forced anyone to do things at these retreats. I have to wonder if it was just a few bad eggs who choose to do something they werent suppose to and it got turned into something it wasn't.
    When you got parents forcing their kids to perfection, things get far more worse then if they just sat back and let thier kids do the sport without the interference. And that is something i have witnessed first hand many times growing up doing sports.

2. AndyT_T

AndyT_T Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I get where we’re coming from but can we cool it with the victim blaming? Regardless of the circumstances of them coming forward what they did would have gotten any coach for any sport fired no matter what the age group.

Idk I just don’t think saying “Yeah it was wrong but she only came forward because she was bitter“ is a good look. It’s still wrong.

3. CoachTamara

CoachTamara Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    tamaraerdes
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I don't think it's victim blaming (I haven't seen anything against the cheerleader, only the mom) but I think this is a valid discussion about a coach's role and leadership, but also how a crazy parent can ruin any program-even the best of the best. This mom and her behavior are beyond concerning, and there does need to be a discussion about the power of bitter parents that can manipulate things to get their way (not necessarily talking about this situation). This entire thing is made even more strange by the fact that her daughter is a grown adult, but I think any coach will tell you they've dealt with these parents before.

4. krystynakrez

krystynakrez CheeringWonka

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    krystynakrez
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Verified Member:
    Krystyna Krzeminski
    Runs CheeringWonka Twitter
    Once she goes off to college there should be NO reason for mom to continue getting involved. She is a legal adult, let her fight her own battles or she will never learn. A "Lawnmower parent" if you will

5. quietmom

quietmom Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    exhaustedmom79
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I am not an expert. I have zero dogs in this fight. My kids who were on a cheer abilities team loved seeing UK at every Cheersport nationals. UK athletes and coaches were incredibly kind and loving towards cheer abilities teams. Many of their teammates and athletes on other cheer abilities teams also loved seeing the UK athletes. The athletes would also take selfies with the cheer abilities athletes and gave lots of hugs and high fives. The UK team was always a highlight and joy. I don't know if all the other stuff is true or not, but I did personally witness the hearts of the UK team (athletes and coaches) in their interactions with cheer abilities athletes. And for that reason alone, I am just sad for everyone involved.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  6. cheermomforever

cheermomforever Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    agree if a mom of an "adult" is the one suing then its more personel for the mom.........

7. ImAChauffeuse

ImAChauffeuse They call me Susie

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    This exactly. Other 18 year old females join the military, do their mommies call the CO when they don’t approve of someone in the command’s behavior? That’s exactly how ridiculous it is that a parent made the complaint here.

If the young lady had a problem or felt uncomfortable it is her responsibility to say something. She is an adult. Her mother should not still be fighting her battles.

The allegations themselves are a different issue and if they were found to be substantiated as it appears they were, then that’s a cultural problem inside the program and I agree with the actions taken to change it.

I’m very disturbed by the coach in these comments advocating that the girl’s teammates and friends ostracize her. Very. The mother is a different story.

8. ACEDAD

ACEDAD Named "Best Veteran" meaning "Most Attractive". National Champion

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    billpresson
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Verified Member:
    Bill Presson
    USASF Hall of Fame Member
    I think it’s okay:

1. To be sad about the situation because UK is an incredible program with incredible people.
    2. To think that UK did what they had to based on the documents they released.
    3. To believe that the coaches really should not have allowed all that they did.
    4. To think that everyone involved was an adult and made unforced choices which aren’t really different than a lot of college student lake weekends.
    5. To think the mom is batshit crazy.

All these things can be true at the same time.

9. CoachTamara

CoachTamara Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    tamaraerdes
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Oooooooooh @ACEDAD said poop. As an adult, I'm going to have to call my mom so she can complain about this.

• Shimmy Shimmy x 5
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • List
  10. oncecoolcoachnowmom

oncecoolcoachnowmom Bestest Newbie '14

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    YES.

This is exactly where I am on all this.

11. oncecoolcoachnowmom

oncecoolcoachnowmom Bestest Newbie '14

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    The big glaring thing I see from a former coach perspective coming out of this situation:

Not every young alumna(us) of your program is cut out for the responsibility of being a coach.

If you can't be the NOPE that shuts down the shenanigans (and makes the hard decisions if the shenanigans don't stop), coaching is not for you.

12. catlady

catlady Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I agree and I actually didn't realize you referred to them as "kids" and I certainly wasn't directing this at anyone specifically, because we all tend to call the college aged "kids." I was referring more to those parents that just think this is normal "college antics" and "kids will be kids" type behavior. What many of us parents got away with back in the day at college, and shared many of those traditions and stories with our kids, is now giving these adult by law "kids" criminal records for life.

13. Sterling von Shimmer

Sterling von Shimmer Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I think ultimately, that’s all understood. Nobody is condoning the oversight of the coaches. Wrongdoing occurred and it need to be addressed.

I think we’re all miffed at the circumstances of a pushy parent getting their way and a legacy cut short because some awful mother couldn’t handle the reality that maybe her kid isn’t as good as she thinks she is. She didn’t report this because she cared about the kids’ well-being — she waited until well after the season was over to say anything — she just wanted to throw her weight around because her daughter had a tantrum. And it worked.

That stings. I know we’ve all been in this situation to some degree. You’re coaching your team, doing your best, and then some bully parent comes along and tries to undercut you while you’re doing your job. It’s awful. And it’s happening to coaches we all admire on a national stage. I can’t imagine how the coaches are feeling right now. They obviously love cheer and are good at it. And while I’m sure they’re going to be just fine career-wise, this is not a note anyone wants to go out on.

So while I think everyone agrees the coaches erred and needed to have been disciplined, the circumstances of it coming at the hand of a duplicitous, entitled, egomaniac parent are what we all are chafing at.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  14. Sterling von Shimmer

Sterling von Shimmer Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    This won’t go anywhere. If she thinks a giant school like UK doesn’t have a legal team to handle nonsense lawsuits like this, she’s even more delusional than we thought.

15. SMD

SMD I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    No to Clemson. Apparently back to UK.