Kick Full Help

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 18, 2015
I have a flyer who has an extremely solid ... High... Good form kick full, the issue... She is so tight and going so high she's starting to over-rotate causing 1.5 almost double rotation. We are trying to stop it... But can't figure out how. We attempted having her stall her kick, we tried telling her to twist at a later count... Even asked her to relax her body position slightly... But she goes so quick nothing seems to be working. Any pointers? She can't double, as its high school...

So... I have a kid who is scared to death of the kick full. She can't complete her rotation, she lands prone. She can full down beautifully from any stunt. I've given her many corrections but, I'd love to have a second set of eyes look at it. I have a video, But I'm not sure how to upload it here.

So... I have a kid who is scared to death of the kick full. She can't complete her rotation, she lands prone. She can full down beautifully from any stunt. I've given her many corrections but, I'd love to have a second set of eyes look at it. I have a video, But I'm not sure how to upload it here.
Film it, upload it to YouTube but mark it as unlisted, and post the link here.

Not sure I can give you a lot of drills, but it looks like she's twisting before she finished her kick, so she's not tight. As well, she's opening up prone. She needs to twist in a tight hollow body, all at once, not shoulders and then legs.

Could you hold her bottom foot as she kicks and then twist her over into the full? You may need to be on a block, but I've seen coaches do that to teach timing and twisting as 1 body unit.

Tell her to imagine kicking over a barrel!! Right now she is kicking straight up and initiating the twist with her shoulders. The twist needs to initiate with the sweep over the barrel which means her hips will be in line with her shoulders, as long as she remains in a hollow body shape. Have her practice that shape in various drills (holds, rocks, rolls) to reinforce it.

Tell her to imagine kicking over a barrel!! Right now she is kicking straight up and initiating the twist with her shoulders. The twist needs to initiate with the sweep over the barrel which means her hips will be in line with her shoulders, as long as she remains in a hollow body shape. Have her practice that shape in various drills (holds, rocks, rolls) to reinforce it.
I haven't used the barrel analogy but I've told her to kick like a rainbow and lead with her hip for the rotation.
Typically, one of two things happen, she doesn't extend her kick and lands prone or extends her kick and leads with her shoulder which makes her flip. (Which is extremely scary!) The crazy part is that she has a full in tumbling so she understands the twisting motion. This is the one skill she hasn't been able to master. She is extremely frustrated with herself.

I haven't used the barrel analogy but I've told her to kick like a rainbow and lead with her hip for the rotation.
Typically, one of two things happen, she doesn't extend her kick and lands prone or extends her kick and leads with her shoulder which makes her flip. (Which is extremely scary!) The crazy part is that she has a full in tumbling so she understands the twisting motion. This is the one skill she hasn't been able to master. She is extremely frustrated with herself.
Can she practice it on a trampoline? Then, her bases and backspot aren't at risk. The flyers at our former gym would always work their kick-fulls on the trampoline to get the motion down right.

Can she practice it on a trampoline? Then, her bases and backspot aren't at risk. The flyers at our former gym would always work their kick-fulls on the trampoline to get the motion down right.
I thought about that. We don't have a trampoline at our school but I think she has one at home that isn't assembled. I will talk to her parents. I think most of the issue is fear... She can tell me word for word how to do it, it's a matter of execution.

There's a fantastic Coach Vic and K from Top Gun video on the Fierce Connection about this skill!

I always remind my athletes it's about the kick not the twist. I know they can twist fine, so by changing their focus I can get them to do the skill without rushing.

You may want to show her videos of people doing it correctly and have her visualize herself doing it (with arms and leg motions as possible- like an arm routine). Take the advice people have given and get her to come up with cue words for each part of the skill so she knows what to focus on at each moment.

Back