All-Star Knee Pain After Getting Tuck

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Bethabee

Cheer Parent
May 6, 2016
My daughter started cheer back in February, so tumbling is pretty new for her and she's been very rapidly growing in her skills.
She quickly got her BHS and then BHS series. Last week, she got her RO, BHS, Tuck and has been working on her layout on the tumble track.

The problem: Ever since working on her tuck, and even more know that she's doing it without a spotter, her knees have been bothering her after just about every practice. I'm sure some of it is exaggeration (since she's a pro at that), but I can tell it does hurt her still.

Any tips and tricks to minimize this pain as she continues to tumble and gain more skills?

(luckily she's on a level 1 team, so practices aren't so bad since she can't do her tucks during practice, but she has privates and tumbling classes at least 2-3 times a week where she works on her tuck)

It is likely the way that she is landing it. CP just got her tuck in the last few weeks, and had her complaining of knee and ankle pain throwing on the floor. He coach said she needed a softer landing, i.e. more time between the knee pull at the top and hitting the ground. She was whipping her head back and going over too fast and hard rather than getting a good vertical set so she jamming into the ground.

Cannot believe she is working layouts already. Out kids have to have sanding 3,2 and 1 to tuck, front punch and standing tuck to work layouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It is likely the way that she is landing it. CP just got her tuck in the last few weeks, and had her complaining of knee and ankle pain throwing on the floor. He coach said she needed a softer landing, i.e. more time between the knee pull at the top and hitting the ground. She was whipping her head back and going over too fast and hard rather than getting a good vertical set so she jamming into the ground.

Cannot believe she is working layouts already. Out kids have to have sanding 3,2 and 1 to tuck, front punch and standing tuck to work layouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That makes sense since she just got it this last week!
Her coach is mostly playing around with the layout (he told her he thinks she'll get it by her birthday - in 3 weeks - so I think he's determined), but she is also working on her standing tuck and front punch. :) She already has her standing 3 and 2 to tuck, also working on her 1 to tuck. :)
I think they like to give them variety when working on new skills, while keeping the focus on one specific one (punch front for her).

That makes sense since she just got it this last week!
Her coach is mostly playing around with the layout (he told her he thinks she'll get it by her birthday - in 3 weeks - so I think he's determined), but she is also working on her standing tuck and front punch. :) She already has her standing 3 and 2 to tuck, also working on her 1 to tuck. :)
I think they like to give them variety when working on new skills, while keeping the focus on one specific one (punch front for her).
Did the pain start after she started working on the punch front? That has a harder landing than a tuck.

Patellar tendonitis, or jumpers knee, is very common in gymnastics and cheer. I would definitely take her to an orthopedic to get a proper diagnosis. It is more than likely over use (tendonitis) but, it could be ligament or fracture related. If it is jumpers knee, a knee strap can be worn to help with pain but, tendonitis is very painful and rest is usually what is prescribed. If you let tendonitis go, it can result in larger tears. From Mayo Clinic:

Patellar tendinitis is a common overuse injury, caused by repeated stress on your patellar tendon. The stress results in tiny tears in the tendon, which your body attempts to repair. But as the tears in the tendon multiply, they cause pain from inflammation and weakening of the tendon. When this tendon damage persists for more than a few weeks, it's called tendinopathy.
Patellar tendinitis Symptoms - Mayo Clinic

How's her technique? I get pain in my knees if I land with my knees over my toes, meaning my feet are slightly behind me and my chest is low. This also put a lot of strain on my ankles causing even more pain and eventually injury.

Back