All-Star Knees

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 19, 2010
Will our knees be shot by the time we're thirty from all the tumbling we do?

My coach said in a nonchalant manner that we will more than likely have arthritis and our joints are pretty much screwed from the constant demand of the knees in tumbling.

True or not true?

For me? True.

Most people have joint problems from a lot of tumbling. It's just part of the sport.
Gymnasts have the same problem.

it is true that the likihood is much much higher and more likely than not unless you continue the physical activity you with have lots of joint problems when you get older.
especially in women because of the stress put on flexibility for them in terms of flying and such.
same with gymnasts. esp. in womens gymnastics for the same reason.
just comes with the territory. it's when you stop that it'll start to catch up with you

I will probably be in a wheel chair in a couple of years. I already tore my left ACL tore my right exterior meniscus and level 2 strained my right MCL.

cheerleading is one of those sports that KILLS you because in most sports, your muscles either have to be strong ( football, basketball, baseball) or flexible ( swimming, dancing, etc. ) but in sports like cheerleading and gymnastics, you force your muscles to be both flexible and strong, which causes many more injuries and puts stress on our bones and joints.

comin from my orthapeadic doctor not meee

very true i truly hate seeing all of the knee and ankle braces on these young girls when they take the mat including my 11 year old who has to constantly wear a knee brace already

Yeah i have some torn ligaments in my wrist, then ontop of that i have a cyst inbetween my joints & i have tendinitis in both my knees....been cheering for 12 years this is what itll do to ya, but wouldnt trade it for anything!<3

Think of everything bad you can do to you knees possible, and that's what I've done!

Torn ligaments, cartilage and tissue (or at least 2 of the 3:/)
Knee caps disjoined andmove diagonally
Hyper extention
Hyper flexibility
And a bunch of others

HOWEVER I did that cheering in general, not tumbling:)

I haven't cheered in over a year. My knees still hurt when I run in gym class. I blame my Nfinities. Nfinity shoes + hard school cheer floor = pain.

When I cheered we developed a mentality that God will one day give us a new body so we might as well go in with our old one as used as possible.

Pain is temporary ~ pride last forever... right :)

I haven't cheered in over a year. My knees still hurt when I run in gym class. I blame my Nfinities. Nfinity shoes + hard school cheer floor = pain.
now- you know nfinity's weren't made for non-spring floors..
they aren't made with enough support. heck i got injuries because on my old Nfinity's and ON the spring floor, so yeah- and whoever let you practice like that was stupid not to tell you to get different shoes.
just sayin'
lol.

now- you know nfinity's weren't made for non-spring floors..
they aren't made with enough support. heck i got injuries because on my old Nfinity's and ON the spring floor, so yeah- and whoever let you practice like that was stupid not to tell you to get different shoes.
just sayin'
although infinties arent good on hard floors, they do make t umbling so much easier their sooooo light
lol.

Yeah, I'd say that's pretty much true. Not everybody, of course, but a lot of people will. I wasn't even a huge tumbler but I still developed arthritis in my wrist when I was 16...

Back